Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 255819 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #630 on: July 24, 2015, 12:32:44 AM »
My laptop has two drives. Then again, I specifically seek out ones that do. :P

If your laptop supports USB 3.0, you may want to look into getting an external HDD or an enclosure. USB 3.0 is capable of supporting the full speed of a mechanical hard drive. That being said, I'm thinking a lot of your issue has to do with how osu! is coded (unless it uses a TON of disk I/O for some reason).

On another note, I'm putting together a recording setup for IIDX. I have a tripod mount for my phone and I'm borrowing my dad's Dazzle to record the gameplay footage. I just need to wait until the RCA splitters that I ordered arrive (should be here on Saturday) and I'll be able to throw a test recording together. If the Dazzle works out I'll probably invest in something a bit more permanent and Mac-compatible. The Dazzle that he has doesn't have any Mac software, which complicates my workflow somewhat, but I can manage.

One of my friends suggested on Twitter that I start livestreaming IIDX sessions. We shall see, I suppose. I definitely have the audio equipment needed for such a project, though finding a USB video interface that doesn't have several lag frames might be a bit more of a challenge (I'm sure there's a way to delay the audio to keep it synced...we'll see). Definitely more of a down-the-road kinda thing, if it even happens.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #631 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:30 AM »
I do have USB 3, so that's an option. I just don't really have the income right now to justify an external drive.

If you stream IIDX, definitely let me know. I've been spending quite a bit of time watching VSRG streams lately.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #632 on: July 25, 2015, 04:32:34 AM »
Will do! I should have at least a test video out at some time this weekend. If I succumb to rampant rhythm game voyeurism then I'll probably buy the rest of what I need fairly soon. :P I'd say at this point that it depends on the price of cameras. There is a really ghetto way that I can use my phone camera using iOS 8's screen mirroring (basically, mirror the screen, fire up the Camera app on the phone, set it in video mode so that its "shutter" speed stays above 1/30 or 1/60, and crop off the app chrome), but I'd rather not do that. Those cameras aren't really meant to take video for hours on end. I've heard that the PS4 camera is quite nice, so maybe that'll be an option. As a bonus, if it doesn't work out I can always use it for my PS4.

The only real rule is that whatever I get has to work on a Mac. Shouldn't be too hard, though there are a few things that curiously don't have drivers for that platform (such as the lower end Dazzles and such). I don't want to have to unplug my audio interfaces just to do some stupid streaming (I have every port except for the SD card slot in use on that poor thing, not to mention all of the ports on an external USB 3.0 hub).

The other touchy thing is going to be the audio. Obviously I'd like to have both the direct game audio so that the quality won't be shit, but I'd also like to have other audio so that I could talk and so that viewers will be able to hear the key clicks (and me screaming when I fail A [7K] with a 78% like what happened to me other night...I passed it on my next try, at least). I prefer playing audio through the TV so that I can hear the keys more clearly, but I think I'm just going to have to give up and wear headphones. Even if I turn my mic gain down, that doesn't change the fact that I'm using a condenser mic that could pick up an ant farting from two states away. My noise isolating studio cans are out of the question, so...uh, Apple earbuds, maybe? Hell, that would be an improvement over my TV speakers. :P

Edit: Ran into some complications. The Dazzle absolutely refused to record audio with VirtualDub, and Premiere's capture only works with very specific, presumably high-end devices. I tried pumping the audio through my mixer, but since USB shares an input/output with the 2 Track In/Out, I couldn't record the RCA input with USB.

I have a couple of options, but I'm going to need some more adapters either way. I could ditch USB and use one of my UCA222 interface to pull audio in from the mixer. I'd rather not do that since I would greatly prefer having digital output. Another option is adapting RCA to unbalanced TS connectors and plugging them into the currently-unused ch 3/4. That would probably be the cheapest approach and would still be effective. The problem with these two solutions is that while it would allow me to plug everything into my mixer and monitor it with my studio headphones, I wouldn't be able to do much with the audio in post-production. While I want the clickity clacks from the keys to be audible, I doubt viewers would want to hear them quite as much.

The only real ways to do this while keeping the audio separate is to either come up with another piece of capture software (and I really don't want to use the crash-happy Pinnacle software that the Dazzle comes with) or get a better capture device. I'd rather get the Dazzle working, because I don't want to throw a whole lot of cash at this just yet until I know it's going to work.

I could still technically get the game audio to come through the mixer so that I could monitor it even if I do one of the other two options. I'd have to get another set of RCA splitters, run RCA cables across the room to my mixer, adapt them to TS, plug them into ch3/4, and banish the audio to the alt3/4 output (on my mixer, muted channels are sent to alt3/4, which I have set to come through the headphones).

It's times like these that I'm glad I ended up going with the X1204 instead of sticking with something smaller, like the XENYX 502 or a basic XLR/USB interface with +48V.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:43:15 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #633 on: July 26, 2015, 03:54:36 PM »
I had no idea you had all that audio equipment on you. That's a pretty interesting setup. Having to work on a mac definitely complicates things a bit, but hopefully you can get it all solved.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #634 on: July 26, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »
Yeah, I ended up picking up a lot of stuff so that I could work on various YouTube stuffs. I did a Minecraft LP with a friend of mine and have a few other things planned for down the road. It's not exactly high end gear by any stretch of the imagination (all in all, it wasn't really all that expensive, either), but it gets the job done.

On the contrary, I'd say that working on a Mac has been beneficial. When it comes to audio, Macs simply do it better out of the box. Core Audio blows away anything that Microsoft has produced and is comparable to ASIO (and since it's built into the OS it prevents you from having to dick around at all). Its handling of multiple audio devices is far superior as well, allowing you to make aggregate devices and assign channels around pretty much however you want. If my iMac suddenly exploded and I had to try to get that gear working on a Windows machine I would be in for a hell of a headache.

As far as video goes, the real problem is that I'm using the wrong tool for the job. Dazzles are odd in that they're general video interfaces that are relegated to a single task. With the display formats that they support, they're great if you want to convert VHS to DVD. They're not so great if you want to do anything nifty with them. They also have far more SKUs than they really need, which is why you have to buy specific Dazzles if you want Mac compatibility (the one that I've been trying to use, DVC100, is Windows-only, so during my test run I had it plugged into my laptop).

After working with it a bit, I also noticed a huge bugbear. I'm not sure if it's a VirtualDub limitation or what, but I was only able to get 30hz capture working on it. As I'm sure you're well aware, NTSC is not an even 30hz. Suffice it to say, the video looked stuttery, even when I manually deinterlaced it. Those things sure as hell aren't made for pedants.

I might just end up buying something. Fortunately, waning demand on decent PAL/NTSC capture devices did drive prices down somewhat.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #635 on: July 26, 2015, 10:37:14 PM »
Right, I forgot that apple stuff is so often used for audio stuff. I was thinking more about general hardware compatibility there.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2015, 08:32:50 AM »
Yep. It's not that it necessarily has more tools available (Logic Pro being the notable exception), but the audio subsystem in OS X is just much better suited for that sort of work.

I believe ASIO still manages a lower latency, but you can't count on that being supported in a given application. Furthermore, in my experience, you can't count on it to work in a consistent way across devices (and, in the case of Creative Labs ASIO drivers, it tends to cause your computer to BSOD when you make the mistake of trying to use it).

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 02, 2015, 12:32:15 AM »
I think I'm a beer snob now. I go to the store, see someone walk out with a big case of bud lite, and I'll silently judge that motherfucker.

I'd been mainly drinking craft stouts around this area, trying all I can get my hand on. But sometimes, I get out of work, and I want something at the 711 which is on my way home from work, so I've been trying to expand my horizons to more common stuff.

Kinda getting bored of redds wicked at this point, so been looking at 40's, expecting the worst. I picked up a Magnum 40 today, and about to finish the bottle as I'm typing this, and...it ain't that bad. Like, budweiser, but lite, bud lime, rolling rock, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY worse than this. Even certain craft stouts that I didn't end up liking i'd put under this.

I want to try the other 40's this 711 has, but, my first one, I like it enough to where I wish I had a second one right now. Cheap, abv isn't going to kill me like some imperial stouts do, taste isn't too bad, good volume. Shit, this might be my new go to beverage. When I'm paying $2.50 for a decent drink for 40oz, when normally I'd pay over SEVEN DOLLARS FOR A 24oz, it's a lot more economical.

Anyway, I'm trying all I can with beer. I really don't like buying something I have tried before, I tend to mostly buy new things that I haven't yet tasted. It's funny to me that I've tasted more different things in my...6 months drinking beer than my friends with their 10-11 years of drinking beer.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #638 on: August 02, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
I'm a filthy casual when it comes to beer drinking. I find that I generally just stick to Yuengling, but I typically just stick with the occasional shot or mixed drink unless I'm really in the mood for a cool lager.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #639 on: August 02, 2015, 07:50:21 PM »
Bought me a bottle of Rochefort 10 last night. Love me some Belgian ales, and trappist beers in particular. Plus, the 11.3 abv is nice.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #640 on: August 04, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
Doublepost. Oh well.

So, http://smrankings.net/ is a thing now. Just started, and they're still adding files to the system and tweaking stuff.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #641 on: August 04, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »
Not really sure why they restrict scores to AAs and above. I think it would be a far more useful competitive resource if it--like sites like Solid State Squad--allowed all entries regardless of letter grade.

Regardless, registered. If I end up using it, awesome. If not, at least I reserved my name. :p

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #642 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
Well as far as I understand, the top players only really care about AAs in terms of achievements (AAAs being too restrictive and A and less being too weak to care about in a competitive sense). And as it says, the site's not REALLY geared towards being a repository for every score you make.

Apparently I can't 17 right now on that site:

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #643 on: August 05, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
Regardless, it's a shame that void isn't being filled. Not everyone is at that level, and it's never a bad thing when people can compete regardless of skill level (and track their own progression, for that matter).

The fact that the classic DDR (and, by extension, StepMania) grading system isn't really all that great for competitive play doesn't help matters.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #644 on: August 05, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »
Yeah. they have added some easier stuff, but the easy stuff is still not at the complete noob level. That's at least in part because nobody working on that site has any idea what noob level stuff should even be there (and tbh noob level pad stuff would be rated like nothing on their current scale).

Still, it's nice that there's at least something.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x