Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 255946 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #720 on: December 25, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
http://imgur.com/cxoUmEG

Happy Merry Christholliday Day

Siberian Night Imperial stout in a New Holland goblet glass, a fancy beer for a fancy day! ($8 for the 12oz, special occasion beer)

*edddddddittttttttt*

https://www.belgianstyleales.com/product/order-st-bernardus-abt-12-quadruple-abbey-ale-25oz/shop-belgian-quadrupel-ales

so umm, how does this buying beer online work? I am a 28 year old man, I WANT MY FANCY BEER DELIVERED TO ME!

*imabeernerddddddddddd*

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:26:16 PM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #721 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:27 AM »
I've had 4 of the 5 on the bottom, and none of the ones on the top. Rochefort, Duvel, Chimay, and Westmalle are all really good. Chimay is one of the few beers I reliably come back to. Rochefort too.

I'm currently drinking a Mill Street Lune de Sang, which was brewed on my birthday in 2015, during the blood moon, so when I saw that I had to get it (my GF and I stayed up late and drove out of town just to see that blood moon.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 16, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
Trying the belgian styles of Dubbel, Trippel, Quadrupel, with a limited sample size.

Quad (rochefort 10). DELICIOUS would buy again
Trippel (Vaviant, Saugatuk) Sickeningly sweet, had to drainpour one of them, I hope the westmalle isn't that sweet when I inevitably try it.
Dubbel (Westmalle, drinking as I type this) Very good, it reminds me somewhat of wytchwoods hobgoblin, only a lot tastier.

Too damn bad these beers cost a mini fortune to obtain 'round these parts. This Westmalle 11.2oz cost $6.00 (ignore that the closest store to sell it is over 2 hours round trip). This canadian beer website has it at $3.50.

Canadians don't pay much for import tax or something? I thought alcohol was expensive over there, but from what I observe, y'all pay half for belgian import beers. That chimay blue I have in that picture? The price tag clearly shows $16.00 usd, bought that fucker for a special occasion, my birthday....in march. Because I may have to get my enhanced drivers license and drive over the border and drink a few belgians before I come back...

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #723 on: January 17, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »
Anyone drink liquor? Got some small batch bourbon Knob Creek for xmas that was super delicious (if you're into that). My fiance and I drink Seagrams 7 whiskey usually. As smooth as Seagrams 7 is, you can definitely taste the quality difference in the Knob Creek. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #724 on: January 22, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
I'm more into liqueurs, personally (currently working my way through a bottle of Jägermeister and Disaronno).

That being said, I'm rather fond of tequila and definitely won't turn down whiskey. I haven't really sampled enough brands to pick a definitive favorite, but so far I favor José Cuervo tequila and Black Velvet whiskey.
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 25, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »
I rarely have liquor anymore. I may down 1-2 5ths in a year now a days, and most likely that 5th is a bottle of kraken black rum. I'm just bad at self control with that stuff and I tend to overdo it.

Beer, I can have 1-2 bottles and be content for the day...

...speaking of, I just went to Horrocks Farm Market yesterday. DRINKING BEER ON TAP WHILE GROCERY SHOPPING IS THE BEST THING EVER, EVERYBODY NEEDS TO VISIT HORROCKS IN LANSING MICHIGAN /caps

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #726 on: January 28, 2017, 03:31:10 AM »
Try the rochefort 8 if you can, instead of the 10. I find the 10 slightly more boozy and not QUITE as good as the 8 (depending on my mood, because sometimes I want something boozy tasting). As for pricing, it depends a lot. Some of the smaller bottles tend to run between 3-6, and the 750ml bottles run from like 7-15ish at the top end. I've definitely had a few bottles cost a bit over 15.

As for spirits, I've got a bottle of Dillon's Unfiltered 22 Gin Sitting here. I think it's about time for a drink too.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 28, 2017, 03:46:37 AM »
Pretty much all Rochefort cost roughly the same for a 12oz($6.50-$8.00). I've so far tried 10, and 8, and I think both of them are fantastic, but I may lean towards the 8 since I recall the 10 being a bit sweeter than I prefer.

I do have a 6 in the fridge that I will try at a later date, so I'll report on that when I get to it.

Recently had a Westmalle trippel, it was a lot better than the Michigan trippels I've tried, sweet but not sickeningly candy sweet like the us versions. I do prefer the Westmalle dubbel though, and will get that in future purchases.

While on the topic of beer, Guiness. It's big and popular, and I've really honestly tried to like it, but I don't. Murphy's  however, it's like Guiness, but better...I'd recommend trying a Murphy's if you're in the camp of wanting an Irish stout with a nitro widget that doesn't taste terrible. I mean it aint the best beer out there, but it's worth a purchase imo.

Srs last note of this post, those KBS beers in my fridge, rare as fuck, hard as hell to find. I only got them because a friend of mine knows a girl who works at a specific liquor store, that had a buyer that bailed on the purchase, so $25 for the 4 pack, and I got 2. Saving those sons of bitches for when I get a new job worth a damn, figure it's worthy enough to celebrate that event.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:55:00 AM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #728 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
Yeah, honestly Guinness is what got me interested in branching out into the world of microbrews (because it's just so different from the macro brews everyone tends to drink), but yeah, it's more or less mediocre at best. I don't dislike it, but there are plenty of other stouts I'd rather have given the option.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #729 on: January 30, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »
Yeah, honestly Guinness is what got me interested in branching out into the world of microbrews (because it's just so different from the macro brews everyone tends to drink), but yeah, it's more or less mediocre at best. I don't dislike it, but there are plenty of other stouts I'd rather have given the option.

I really love Guiness. I hated it for a while because honestly my other beer snob associates did and I was new at the time. I've come to really enjoy it though. It has less calories than most light beers so it's good if you're watching your weight but still want a couple drinks.

That and Irish car bombs....

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 31, 2017, 02:32:46 AM »
I had another Guinness today, since I had a Murphy's earlier in the week. STARTING to warm up on it, but there's just one thing for both beers that I am not a fan of...

...too damn watery, I have no clue why everybody talks up Guinness as "man it's a beer that's like a meal!!R!!!!!", when it's as watery and I'd even argue EVEN MORE watery than light beer.

It's not even me saying that to hate it, since I periodically buy cans to see if I can enjoy one, but it's just watery. I even do the super aggressive pour to get maximum head, but it fades about half way through, and you're left with water with a little bit of foam at the end.

But my favorite beers are imperial stouts that absorb light like a black hole and are thicker than motor oil, so it's probably never intended for a person as myself. Still would be a nice thing on my go to roster since it's commonly available. I do think I prefer other commonly available brands like Icehouse, or Labatt Blue over Guinness though.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #731 on: March 03, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »
Posting from my new Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.

It's, well...a computer. Running Linux. Using a British spell check dictionary and EN-GB keyboard layout (trying to type # in the HAPPY thread was an experience--I literally don't have that key anywhere on my Yankee keyboard). Obviously easy stuff to correct, but I'm amused regardless. :P

It feels really strange to be using a computer that's completely any utterly silent.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 05, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »
I keep thinking about getting one of those to make an emulation box out of.

One of these days I tell ya...

Not to mention having a functional computer for under $40.00 is crazy, we live in the future.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #733 on: March 06, 2017, 08:37:14 AM »
It's a nice little system for the price! It does noticeable struggle with certain things (don't try to full-screen YouTube videos, for example) but I can definitely see if being useful as a little productivity box. The Linux distro that mine came with (NOOBS--not sure how Raspbian is equipped) even came with LibreOffice, so it's pretty much usable right out of the box. Naturally, you also have pretty much the entire Debian library to work with.

It was one of those things where I won't be put off even if I don't find a real use for it. I spend more than that on lunches some weeks (which is sad and needs to stop).

One thing that's kind of inconvenient is that if you enable desktop OpenGL you lose the ability to correct for overscan/underscan. On my TV, for instance, the usable display area goes outside the border of the screen. Not fantastic, but fairly easy to correct from the TV's menu (and even easier to rectify on a standard monitor).

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #734 on: March 21, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »
I made my own little SDL port of Doom, just to say that I could:

(Yes, the screenshot is a little blurry--my laptop has a high DPI screen, so DWM is scaling it up by 1.5x)

Source is here, in case anyone is interested: http://github.com/Spectere/sDoomPort

Still needs a lot of work (x64 doesn't work at all yet, no sound, mouse support is kinda rough, etc), but it took a surprisingly small amount of work to get it working.