Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 646469 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #2010 on: December 19, 2014, 01:23:09 PM »
I really really want to see FC4 super maxed out. lol what a beautiful game. My GPU is my only current bottleneck.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2011 on: December 19, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
A friend of mine asked me to take a video of it, so when I do that I'll probably throw it up here as well. Not sure if I have enough disk bandwidth to manage 60fps capture, but I'll do what I can. :)
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2012 on: December 20, 2014, 01:44:42 AM »
High expectations: shattered.

So I got SLI working and ran Far Cry 4. With everything cranked it was consistently over 60fps at 1080p. No real shock there, since a single GTX 980 can handle that for the most part.

The part that blew me away was when I turned DSR on 4x and came to the realization that, with AA off (let's face it, you really don't need it as much on 4K, even less so if you're using DSR, which is basically supersampling and downscaling), I can hold a very playable 45-55fps. At fucking 3840x2160. If I turn soft shadows off, it averages 55-60fps. Fuck me with a rolling pin and call me Sally, that just blew my mind when I saw that. I figured that if I managed 30fps with one card I might squeeze 45 out of two. I wasn't expecting to get that close to 60fps. Also, when I say that I got 30fps on a single card, that was with soft shadows off. I had them off by accident, since the option for them was kinda sorta hidden-ish.

I'm going to need to see how these suckers handle Crysis 3 this weekend, and perhaps upload some 4K screenies of FC4.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2013 on: August 13, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
Apparently I have a new job.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2014 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:38 PM »
Congrats! What will you be doing?

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #2015 on: August 17, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »
Congrats! What will you be doing?

Your mom.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2016 on: August 17, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
She said that you were crap. She also said that the cat's way better (and he doesn't even have balls).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2017 on: August 18, 2015, 07:01:19 AM »
I am now a Press Operator in a factory. Specifically, I operate presses with progressive dies.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2018 on: August 18, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
Very nice.

Another benefit to a lot of jobs like that is that there's a ton of room for advancement. Stay there long enough and you could quite literally end up running the place.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2019 on: August 18, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »
Depends on the place. My brother's a machine operator at a plastic place and I'm pretty sure his chances of advancement are pretty shit, but the place I'm at has apprenticeships for various jobs and such, so there's definitely a lot of chances to work my way up.

Plus, the pay goes up every year for the first 7 years from like $14.30something to like $23 an hour.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2020 on: August 18, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
Yeah, that is very true.

I do know how it feels to be at one of those zero advancement places. If the place treats you well and has a lot of good benefits it isn't too much of a problem, but if the place already feels soul crushing, going there every day can be a real killer.

Zephlar

• Banned
  • Genuine Bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • Ranalli Photography & Design, LLC
« Reply #2021 on: August 19, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
Yeah, that is very true.

I do know how it feels to be at one of those zero advancement places. If the place treats you well and has a lot of good benefits it isn't too much of a problem, but if the place already feels soul crushing, going there every day can be a real killer.

Agreed. Forcing yourself to work somewhere that you dread even the thought of going to is not worth any amount of money. I've left a few jobs for that reason. Other opportunities will always present themselves so long as you keep looking.

Good luck Bobbias. Hope it works out for you.

Ian what company do you work for?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2022 on: August 19, 2015, 02:32:58 PM »
I currently work as a web developer for Classic Optical over in Youngstown, right on Belmont. Good pay, close to home, and generally enjoyable.

Edit: So I got a Surface Pro 3 today. I like it so far. :D

I mostly snagged it to use as a note-taking device, but I think it's going to make a nice ultraportable. It's amazing how fast a tablet can be if you manage to stuff an i5 in it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:56:26 PM by Spectere »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 20, 2015, 12:00:37 PM »
If I needed to mobile-compute at that level I would definitely love a surface. They look awesome! Don't have enough reasons to buy one though
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2024 on: August 21, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »
I'm really liking mine so far. I've been using it for both work and home.

There are only two real complaints that I have about it. The first is that the battery life isn't that great. If you use it occasionally throughout the day you won't have a problem, but you definitely won't be able to make it through a full eight hours without plugging it in. The battery life isn't terrible; I'd guesstimate 5-6 hours on average, depending on how you use it.

The second complaint is that HiDPI is pretty icky on Windows. It's not really an issue with the hardware, but it's annoying nonetheless. If an application isn't HiDPI aware, it'll render the window at normal resolution and scale it up, resulting in some really obnoxious blurring.

If the application is HiDPI aware but they do it in a half-assed fashion (and yeah, this isn't even a Microsoft issue, but it's still important to know), you run into other issues. Regarding Adobe applications, the Creative Cloud application draws everything at 100% scaling, causing the text in the window to appear tiny (bear in mind that the Surface Pro 3 has a 12" display at 2160x1440). Photoshop only supports either 100% or 200% UI scaling, so everything is either tiny or way too large (no doubt because they only intended that to be used with Apple Retina or 4K displays).

The positives definitely outweigh the negatives (and, once again, the negatives aren't all on Microsoft here). It's great being able to seamlessly tap the screen, write on it with the stylus, and even sling the Type Cover out and using the keyboard and trackpad. Speaking of the trackpad, it's surprisingly good for its size, probably one of the best ones I've used on a Windows system. I wouldn't say it beats an Apple trackpad (mostly because of how tiny it is, not its precision) but it's very close.

I'm sure I'll probably post more about it as I use it more, and I'll doubtlessly gripe about it on Twitter at some point, because that's kinda what I do. :P