Author Topic: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.  (Read 644757 times)

vladgd

• View Profile
Re: Stuff that fries your potatoes with olive oil of HAPPY.
« Reply #2025 on: August 27, 2015, 11:54:48 PM »
Awe yessss nigga, awe yesss.

She has like a tag team partner and shit, and they said it wasn't going to happen, and it does. So now it's like 3 alpha characters, 6 street fighter 2 characters, 1 new character. The final roster is to have 16 characters with 4 being new, so that means there's room for...3 more returning characters, and the other 3 will be new to street fighter 5. Maybe some third strike characters? I didn't like that game, but it had a cool roster with like Q and oro and whatnot.

Either way, im happy with the current roster. Birdie, Bison, Mika, Ken, Chun, Necali looks neat. They can put in whoever at this point and I have a good handful I want to play already.

Anyway, here's the trailer.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:58:12 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2026 on: September 20, 2015, 05:14:01 AM »
wtf is this thing and what is it doing in my ohio

So yeah, we have a IIDX machine in Ohio now. It's glorious. It's about a two and a half hour drive for me, but it's totally worth it. ;D

I, of course, compared it to my DAO FP7. Because I'm lazy, here's the tweets I typed out copied and pasted for your reading pleasure:

Alright, let's compare my DAO FP7 with the IIDX machine I played on today!

Buttons feel lighter on AC, but that's most likely because they're way more broken in than mine. Mine are still infants by Omron standards.

TT felt a tiny bit stiff on the AC P1 side, a bit better on P2. The FP7 TT is a bit looser than both. Again, most likely due to age/use.

TT on AC is, of course, larger. I don't have a DAO RED to compare it to.

The AC TT felt very similar to the one on the KOC--pretty much hard plastic. The FP7's has a rubberized top, making scratching easier on it.

A rubber coating probably wouldn't last too long on an arcade machine, so I can see why they wouldn't do anything like that.

I had zero problems adjusting to spacing. I did have some difficulties due to the angle of my hands/wrists, as mentioned earlier.

I had some issues hitting the 7 key. My ring finger usually sits pretty high on the key on my FP7. Standing put it almost off the key.

Standing threw off my pinky scratching a bit, and the stiffer/smoother TT caused me to need a bit more force.

If I had to make a comparison, I'd say the P1 TT felt like a US KOC and the P2 TT felt like a JP KOC. Definitely could be a lot worse.

When I mention the angle of my hands/wrists, I'm referring to the difference between my home setup (controller on a TV tray table with me sitting on an office chair at its highest height) vs the realities of the arcade experience (standing in front of a machine with a fixed controller). I'm slightly above average height (~6'1"/~185cm) so the buttons were definitely lower on AC than they are on my home setup.

I managed to compensate by leaning a bit back from the machine and squatting slightly. I have no idea how ridiculous I looked, but hey, it worked out. I started out missing a lot of notes simply because I lost track of where the buttons were to being able to pass 10s, so yay for that. My scores were a bit meh, but I suspect that's partially because of the monitor differences (I had the same issue the first time I played Pop'n AC). I'm pretty much going from playing on a 25" CRT from a distance of about 4' or a 26" LCD at 3' to a ~37" TV at, like, 2'. It also took me a few rounds to find a green number that would work for me. Thankfully, since it's Tricoro, I was just able to use floating hi-speed and keep everything flowing at roughly the same effective speed.

Unfortunately, while I was able to adapt pretty easily on single play, doubles was out of the question. I had trouble with 4's (at home I can pass an easy 7--5.1.1. [7H]--on doubles very consistently). That said, I didn't put too much effort into it, so I'm sure I could have worked my way up if I had.

I also got to play jubeat copious for the first time. I've played around with the Jukebeat iOS game, but I never found it particularly fun. The arcade game, however, is both easier and more fun! I think a large part of the fun factor has to do with the fact that you get such a solid tactile response while playing it, not to mention that the display is large enough that you can see everything very clearly. On my iPad Air everything felt cramped and, naturally, there are no physical buttons involved.

Both my friend and I had the same experience with it: the game looks bloody impossible if you watch someone play it. However, the second you step in front of it and start a round it's a much different story. If you're able to put your brain on auto-pilot and don't put too much actual thought into it, you'll just kind of...do it. I didn't expect to be able to pass an 8 (not sure what the highest difficulty is on jubeat, but unless you're talking about Pop'n, 8 is usually a pretty high number!) on my second time playing the AC version. Bloody good fun.

Speaking of 8's, I played DJ MAX Technica while I was there, too. I tried the PS Vita version of it and ran into much the same problem that I did with jubeat: the game was there and intact, but everything was cramped. With the screen being nice and large, I was able to clear Blythe normal, which is an 8. Looking back, I have no idea why I only played one round of that. That game was really fun.

So yeah, I had a ton of fun. I might try to make a monthly pilgrimage out of that (weather permitting, of course).
"This is a machine for making cows."

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 20, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »
Where in Ohio would this machine be?

If for whatever reason I happen to be going south, I may be interested in knowing a IIDX machine is within a days drive.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2028 on: September 20, 2015, 11:21:39 PM »
It's in Columbus (central Ohio). Here's the address:

195 East 5th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43201

Let me know if you ever decide to go. :)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2029 on: September 21, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »
Looks like an 8 is still quite high on jubeat. I checked remywiki, but it didnt have level info for copious. It had level info for ripples, and 10 was the highest level on that, so unless they recently expanded above that I'd guess 10 is the top difficulty.

I played DDR at canada's wonderland on the weekend, and sucked terribly. It's a DDR Extreme cab. Best I managed was passing A on standard. I tried Daikenkai after that and got rekt lol.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2030 on: September 24, 2015, 01:00:38 AM »
Daikenkai (heavy/oni, at least...not sure what the light/standard charts look like, to be honest) is pretty rough. Definitely underrated as far as difficulty is concerned.

That was one of the charts that I just got my obligatory AA on and moved on (in MAX2 and Extreme I AA'd every non-10 singles chart, as well as MAX 300, Sakura, and PARANOiA Survivor...I found that there were quite a few "get the grade and NEVER EVER PLAY IT AGAIN" charts on those games!).

Speaking of DDR, I played some OpenITG when I was at Gotcha Gachapon (the place in Columbus). I was pretty pleased that I'm still able to pass Max. (Period) heavy. I tried PSMO because I'm an idiot and managed to get to the death runs before I nope.jpg'd and walked away. Oh, I also got 4 ITG greats on Can't Stop Fallin' In Love (Speed Mix), which pleased me. I might have actually FEC'd it if the sync weren't off (it was noticeably late on the non-ITG songs unfortunately). That's ITG timing, of course, so it's a bit looser than it otherwise would have been. My DDR record on that song was 6 greats on Extreme.

Man, I miss proper DDR cabinets. While it's nice to be able to play literally any DDR song on a single machine, there's a certain charm (and legitimacy, because let's face it, anything outside of straight-up passes are meaningless) about playing on an official mix.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2031 on: September 24, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »
Yeah, there's a certain something about playing on a legit DDR cab. I'd love to try ITG though. I'm still sad that the PIU disappeared from canada's wonderland though. I prefer that to DDR.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2032 on: September 24, 2015, 08:45:23 AM »
ITG was fun, but I wasn't too crazy about the direction they were taking with their stepfiles. ITG1 was generally fun (outside of some really stupid ones, like Utopia), ITG2 was generally a bit better, but I wasn't too fond of the leaked ITG3 files I've seen. Maybe it was because they didn't have time to polish them, but they struck me as being kind of bland or loaded with artificial difficulty (i.e. sudden hands, mines IMMEDIATELY following steps, really dumb rolls, etc).

PIU is generally solid, though some of the older charts were a little rough. And man, the days before they added a mod menu. Ugh. I played on a PIU:NX recently and had to look up the speed mod codes. I'm not too crazy about playing crazy charts at 1x (AHAHAHAHA).

I think it's largely due to the arrow layout, but PIU doubles generally felt better than DDR/ITG doubles. The transition between pads feels significantly smoother. And man, those freestyles. Holy shit.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2033 on: October 04, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Just got a new mech KB. First mech I've owned. It's a red Ducky Shine 4 with MX Red switches. It's gonna take a while to adjust to, but I've already noticed I can play some jackhammers and stuff I couldn't hit easily before thanks to the laptop keys I've been using until now.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2034 on: October 04, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »
Congratulations! You've just taken your first step into a larger world. :)

One nice thing about the MX Black/Red switches is that they have a consistent actuation and release point, so when you find that sweet spot and can hit it consistently you'll be in really good shape.

I'm using two mechanical keyboards now: a Logitech G710+ with MX Browns on my gaming rig and a CODE Keyboard with MX Whites at work. Kinda thinking of getting a CODE Keyboard with MX Greens for my Mac (for maximum clack!). We'll see.

Speaking of which, if the clack you get when bottoming out annoys you (or anyone around you), grab these two things:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/cherry-mx-rubber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-accessories/wasd-wire-keycap-puller-tool.html

I recommend the 0.2mm O-rings.

For some inexplicable reasons the CODE Keyboard with MX Greens ships with O-rings pre-installed, but the one that ships with MX Whites doesn't. It's strange, because the clack when you bottom out is louder than the MX Blue/Green switches. Considering I work in an office, I ended up installing those after getting the keyboard to dampen the sound a bit, and it actually made it a bit quieter than the cheap Dell rubber dome keyboards that we normally have at the office.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2035 on: October 04, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
I've already considered getting o rings, and the kb actually came with red wasd keycaps and a puller (which I immediately used to switch out the black default ones because why the hell not).

The actual biggest issue I have with it right now is that placing it in front of my laptop moves the screen far enough back that I have trouble reading patterns in o!m, so I've been playing with the laptop sitting at the front of the desk and the keyboard in my lap, because I dont have a desk with a keyboard tray.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2036 on: October 04, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
O-rings are a pretty good investment. Cherry MX keyboard switches trigger much earlier than they bottom out, so the noise--particularly on Blacks/Reds--can potentially throw you off. Even if the noise isn't a concern or if you're used to that by now, the fact that they soften the blow when you bottom out is pretty handy. I used to use a SteelSeries 6Gv2 with MX Blacks and no O-rings, and that keyboard was not fun to type on because of its lack of tactile feedback and how hard it would bottom out.

On a sidenote, don't ever buy SteelSeries (or, for that matter, Razer) keyboards. They fucking suck. My old Logitech Elite rubber dome keyboard (seen in most of my StepMania videos on a0.com) looks like it went through a war, and that sucker still works (I still use it on one of my other computers!). I babied my 6Gv2 and it barely lasted a year. I know someone with a Razer BlackWidow that barely made it four months (fortunately, his was still under warranty. Mine was two days outside of the warranty).

Edit: Forgot about my dad's Razer DeathStalker. Same deal with his. He had one, it lasted six months before dying, we replaced it under warranty, and the replacement lasted a bit longer before dying. I ended up getting him a Corsair K70 with MX Blues last Christmas as a replacement. He loves it so far.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:56:29 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2037 on: October 05, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
Yeah, at first I'd considered a G6v2, but when I looked around at what people were talking about on other forums and websites like deskthority I noticed that when people who were serious about mech kbs talked about them, wasd, ducky, cherry, etc. were all far more popular than gaming brands.

Considering that I can't play o!m when my dad's in bed with this kb right now o rings might help bring the noise down to acceptable levels (maybe). My biggest issue so far is that playing 7k feels weird as fuck. I'm getting used to 4k on it far quicker than 7k.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2038 on: October 05, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't seem like any of the major gaming brands make good keyboards for whatever reason. Based on the way they seem to fail, it almost seems like the thing that ultimately kills them are broken solder joints. Corsair seems to be an exception to this, thankfully. One of my friends is a fairly, uh...serious/angry/dontleavemealonewithhimwhilehesplaying LoL and HotS player that has a nasty tendency of throwing his keyboard across the room when things happen. He's had a Corsair K70 for a year and it's survived a considerable amount of punishment. His previous Razer keyboards didn't.

I do wish that more mechanical keyboards had dedicated media keys. Some of the things that I absolutely love about my Logitech G710+ is that it doesn't have an Fn key, it has media keys that are difficult to accidentally hit, and it has a really awesome volume wheel. The K70 is the same way, and the volume wheel on that is actually very similar to the G710+.

I'm really not sure why it's so unusual to see dedicated media buttons in keyboards nowadays. I've always thought they were incredibly convenient, both on desktops and laptops (I still miss the backlit media buttons on the front of my old Inspiron 9300).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2039 on: October 06, 2015, 02:09:19 AM »
My ducky has an Fn key, but it does have dedicated calculator/explorer/email/browser keys. Most of the Fn key uses are actually for the backlighting and repeat rate type stuff. For volume it's Fn+del/end/pgdn but apart from that it's only use is for the aforementioned keyboard specific settings.

I'm actually slightly disappointed the backlights in this are 2 color red/blue rather than actual RGB ones, but oh well.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x