Author Topic: Music Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 350372 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Music Gaming Accomplishments
« Reply #855 on: December 16, 2015, 08:17:31 AM »
Turns out I can pass 5's in Light+ and 3's in Real on KeyboardMania after a little bit of practice. The game doesn't seem to have as high of a difficulty ceiling as I was expecting, but Konami pulled the plug on it pretty early on so that's probably a big reason for it.

Don't care. Still fun.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #856 on: December 21, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »
I tried a small bit of kbm when i bought my midi keyboard years ago. Got my ass kicked by even the easiest stuff because reading that many columns breaks my brain.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #857 on: December 21, 2015, 11:28:32 PM »
Yeah, I fooled around with DoReMi way back when (I had a Radio Shack keyboard with MIDI in/out, plus a Creative Live!Drive). I did have quite a bit of fun converting MIDI files to its native file format and playing them. I don't think I really played any actual KBM charts.

Also: passed Toybox [EX] on Pop'n today (8th try). That chart is fun as hell. Chords at the end are pretty brutal on a sightread. On another note, it's incredible how good my controller feels with a set of fresh microswitches. Now I just need to do a USB conversion so that I can, uh...do things. With it. On a computer.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #858 on: February 03, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »
I rigged up my Cobalt Flux control box to play some Pump.

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Normally, if I see a Pump arcade machine, I warm up with Turkey March CZ. Between the fact that the CF has a nice, grippy Lexan surface, the fact that the Velcro strips are in the corners (which forces you to step a teeeeny bit farther to reliabily trigger the arrow), and the fact that I spent most of the song shifting distractedly back and forth because I couldn't feel where my feet were, it ended up way more of a workout than it usually is.

Following that up with Mr. Larpus medium wasn't a great idea, either.

But hey, it was a good workout in the long run!

Edit: Just to clarify, rigging up the control box was the achievement here. It's annoying how people who make control box replacements forget that there are nine usable panels and "forget" to wire up the center one.  Fortunately, the Precision Dance Pads control box (could have sworn I picked one that covered all 9 buttons when I ordered it, but I guess not) was fairly simple to ghetto rig.

There was actually a set of 9 pins (the jumperable ones, sort of like what you'd see on a motherboard), one for the eight outside panels and one for the ground. There were wires soldered to where the connector was mounted to the PCB that lead to the appropriate 9 pins on the male DE-15 connector. I grabbed a turbo LED (from one of my old, old, old computer cases) cut off the LED, trimmed down the extra wire, pushed that onto the connector, stripped the wire, looped it through a jumper, and shoved the jumper onto what corresponded to the center button on the DE-15 connector (the post was just the right size to make a very snug connection). Bingo! Up and center are bridged, dance and pump modes are both possible just by shifting the little fiberboard spacer around in the pad.

It's slightly more annoying than just having nine separately addressable buttons, but it's better than nothing.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:33:19 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #859 on: February 06, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »
Nice work! Also, I wish I'd had enough experience with pump to even play Turkey March CZ.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #860 on: February 07, 2016, 12:12:09 AM »
Turkey March CZ is fairly straight-forward outside of a few silly measures. I believe that was one of the first CZ charts that I actually passed.

I've pretty much forgotten how to do a lot of the crossovers in Pump, honestly. :P Andamiro tends to go a little nuts with those (not that I have a problem with that! My 4-panel charts tend to be very twisty), so I'm going to have to relearn how to do a lot of those so that I can play the harder charts again.

I also need to try to convince the local Tilt here to get their Pump Zero pads working properly. I think all they need to do is rotate the sensors and it'll be golden. We'll see. As much as I like the idea of playing Pump at home, the Cobalt Flux really is a subpar pad for 5-panel play because of how it's designed.

Maybe I'll just break down and order an Omega PX. Or maybe I'll just save up for a real machine. :P

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #861 on: February 07, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »
Last time I was at an arcade with pump I ended up not even playing it (it was a dave and busters, and there was actually a fair bit of interest in the machine).

Last time I tried playing DDR I forgot you couldn't access options to change scroll speed, and tried playing Love Shine and Daikenkai Heavy and get my ass kicked because I can't do crossovers worth a damn. I'm so incredibly out of practice it's not even funny. Ok, maybe a little funny, but whatever.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #862 on: February 08, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
You can change the scroll speed in DDR (in 6th Mix and newer), though it's definitely not obvious. You just hold down the start button when you select songs and a menu will appear. There might be a hint somewhere in the menu text, but I dunno. I can't exactly read any of that, haha.

And uh, yeah, don't try doing the crossovers on Daikenkai. Those are spins. I don't know how on earth you're supposed to do them without passing out, but there you go. :P The Silent Hill Oni chart (oni-only on 7th Mix, available for regular play in Extreme and newer) is a good, fairly easy chart for practicing crossovers and half-spins (L U R D R, IIRC), if you ever have another opportunity to play.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #863 on: February 11, 2016, 12:20:10 AM »
Well that explains why I always had trouble with that chart. I have no idea when next I'll get to play some DDR. Not many places around here, and none of my friends like DDR, so even if I do go somewhere that has a machine, I don't get a chance to spend any real time on it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #864 on: February 11, 2016, 08:20:42 AM »
If you want to get an idea of how much double-stepping a chart will require, I'd suggest playing it in StepMania with dem index fingers (you can get the official charts at Zenius -i- Vanisher if you don't already have them). That'll let you do crossovers without too much hassle but spins will trip you up as they would in real life.

And hey, with the official DDR charts in hand you'll be able to make a bunch of really bad o!m videos and proclaim that you're going to do one easy boss chart a day to show off your amazing finger stamina! It'll be great.

And yeah, DDR in my area dried up. It's at least an hour and a half to the closest machine (about a decade ago there were three machines within 10 minutes!). On the bright side, we now have IIDX, Pop'n, Jubeat, OpenITG, and DDR all under one roof in Columbus. It's a three hour drive for me, but it's worth it once in a while. Never thought I'd ever get to say "we have IIDX in Ohio" but now I can. ;D

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #865 on: February 19, 2016, 12:21:03 AM »
It seems as though I'm better at Pump than I thought I was. I managed to pass Canon-D Full Version CZ with stage break on. Barely. Like, if I got one more bad I would have failed. :P

At least I'm getting better at reading the patterns, though staircase patterns still eviscerate me.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #866 on: February 20, 2016, 12:24:44 AM »
So, I just figured out an issue in osu!mania that should help me improve. Normally I played with df jk for 4k and sdf jkl for 7k, but I noticed that my right had had less stamina than my left, which struck me as odd, since I'm right handed. I figured out why last night. My left hand sits farther down and flatter to the laptop/kb when I play, but my right hand has to be higher up so my thumb can reach the spacebar, which lead to my fingers being more curled when I play, since the distance between the spacebar and jkl isn't that big. I decided to move my hand position higher so that my right hand could rest in a similar position to my left. So now I use sdf iop for 7k, and also moved my hands up to we io or something for 4k.

It feels weird as hell, but I managed to pass something I haven't been able to pass in about 9 months. It was worse accuracy than the only other time I passed it, but it was a pass. Hopefully once I adjust to this position I'll have better stamina and see other improvements in my play too.

Too bad I still suck at reading hold heavy patterns, since that's my favorite kind of chart to play.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #867 on: March 01, 2016, 01:10:33 AM »
The Pump cravings continue.

I found out that I can pretty reliably pass 13s and 14s with stage break, with a few 15s and 16s thrown in for good measure. I'm building up a ton of muscle mass in my legs again. Life is good.

I just wish I had something newer than Zero (mmm, Prime), but whatcha gonna do.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #868 on: March 01, 2016, 03:54:26 AM »
well I just managed this recently:
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/4636856

That's a smoc chart converted to osu!mania. Has a few sections of pure quadjacks, hence the sudden drops in life. It's the first time I've actually survived every quadjack and my highest score on it (not including the A I got on it with halftime). I left nofail on because I didnt think I could actually pass it yet.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #869 on: March 05, 2016, 04:08:27 AM »
So, uh...I passed my first 11 today in IIDX (Miracle Meets [SPH]). Holy shit.

I also got a second ASC (another DAO/Gamo2 FP7), so I've been playing the everloving shit out of doubles. I managed to move from being able to do mostly 4's and 5's (and one 7: 511 [DPH]) to being able to handle most 5's and quite a few 6's, another 7 (War Game [DPH], which is fun as hell) and even one 8 (Ballad For You [DPH]).

"Officially," per the class courses in Pendual, I'm 6th Dan in single play and 2nd Dan in doubles play. Considering how fast I've been improving my doubles game, I might be able to make 3rd Dan within a month or two.

The second ASC isn't technically as good as my original one. The original was customized with Sanwa pushbuttons and 50g Omron switches while the new one is one of the stock ones from Gamo2's US warehouse with DAO buttons and 15g Honeywell switches. Honestly, I can see the stock controllers being fine for quite a while. When the Honeywell switches start going bad I'll definitely replace them with Omrons, but I won't really need the increased tactile feedback until I start getting up to 10s, possibly even beyond that.