Author Topic: General Gaming Accomplishments  (Read 159412 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: General Gaming Accomplishments
« Reply #360 on: January 17, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »
How bad is PC BF3? My only real complaint is forced Origin and the fact that EA is a kinda shitty company.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #361 on: January 17, 2012, 01:44:40 AM »
Origin is in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions as well.  One nifty feature that it does allow you to use is the Battlelog, which is essentially DICE's version of Facebook.

That sounds hilarious, but it's kind of nice to be able to watch your squad progress.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #362 on: January 17, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »
It's not so much that the PC ports are garbage (MW2/3 didn't ship with a server browser while BF3 doesn't let you do dedicated servers, I think), the problem is that the netcode is less secure than Quake's.

Seriously, people basically owned the shit out of those games before they even came out.  MW3's netcode is just sickening, because some of the same exploits that were possible with MW1 were possible with MW3.  Infinity Ward has no fucking clue what they're doing when it comes to writing netcode.  Rule number the first: never ever ever EVER trust the goddamn client.  Rule number two: a few sanity checks go a long way in making sure that people don't go from the max rank to rank 1 merely by joining a server.  Rule three: if you're not going to support mods, why the hell is it possible to trick the client into wiping stats?  One would think that both sides would know the rules of the game.

The worst part is that this is basic crap.  You don't even have to be a programmer to realize some of this stuff, you just have to have a little bit of common sense.

And, the absolute pits is the fact that these same exploits work with consoles, you just don't see them as much because that isn't as much of a consequence-free environment as the PC, and because performing the exploit tends to be a bit more complicated.  I have seen aimbotters and glitchers in BF3 for Xbox 360.  One time a squad of myself and three friends were moving down a road in a spread formation and within a second -- not exaggerating in the slightest, mind you -- a single person killed all four of us with perfectly placed headshots.  Either he's the luckiest son of a bitch or the lamest piece of shit on Xbox Live.  Take your pick.

Yeah, I'm not surprised that the netcode is complete garbage. I kinda had a feeling that they had no idea what they're doing. It feels like they actually used netcode for the splitscreen. I've had times where my screen clearly showed me firing multiple times before getting killed, but the killcam and the other player never saw the shots.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #363 on: January 17, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Wow, that's pitiful. I love how games from the mid-90s are proving to me more secure and reliable.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:11 AM »
BC2 had some pretty terrible net code (you could easily run behind a building by like 4 or 5 steps then drop dead by someone on the other side) bums me out they never unfucked that.

My biggest fear is that CS GO will have shitty net code (L4D2s is pretty bad honestly), CS:S netcode was already bad enough, I really don't have the patience to play a game of CS with worse netcode then that.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #365 on: January 19, 2012, 12:58:02 AM »
I actually didn't have much of a problem with the PC version of BC2 and CoD4, and my experiences with CS:S have been positive as well.  I haven't had a problem with L4D1, either (haven't played L4D2 for PC; I played through it on the 360 and was far from impressed. Killing Floor beats the shit out of both L4D games, IMO).

So...I dunno. :x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »
The hitboxes for COD4 on PC were alright, minus the knifes for some odd reason. As for BC2, I think the bullet pysics are what makes it a bit harder to have competent hit detection. I can remember hitting people in the head with the slug shotgun, seeing blood and hearing the helmet dink (god that sound was satisfying) and they would continue to fight. That and the dozens of times I've ran behind cover only to die to the same enemy shooting at me got annoying. CS:S really depends on your server rate and server choke. I've landed plenty of headshots only to walk away with the enemy completely unwounded. Also don't make me describe knife fights, those almost seem like complete luck in source engine. I rage so hard hearing people say shit like "lag has no impact on knife fights" or that when a server has high choke that I should get a better connection (it makes me die slightly every time I hear that). Also pics, to prove I'm not crazy or a whiny person.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649869087006734063/C645F52916CD6578B9E122467FF3837FEF6E86E0/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650995607962835500/0A139502248749A04966039124C06D302C29068A/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
Unfortunately, to reduce the amount of data that has to go over the pipe, bullet effects are rendered on the client side. You don't have a choice but to lead the target.

That's one of the reasons that Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament feel so much better -- they don't fool you into thinking that you've hit someone. When you see a railgun or pulse rifle bolt, you're seeing where the server knows that it is, not where your client thinks that it is.

Another issue with a lot of games -- especially the Battlefield games -- is that the game fools you into thinking that you're not lagging out. If you have a sustained lag spike, you can still run around and shoot. You can walk up to someone, unload an M418 belt into their head, then die and see them at 100% health, simply because the game made you think that it was still working fine. I'd rather see visual effects of lag than to have crap like that happen.

Seriously, I think that's one of the biggest fails when it comes to multiplayer shooters nowadays.  It's strange how far we've come technologically while netcode seemed to peak in 1999 and then steadily start getting worse (notable exception is the Unreal Tournament series. UT3 was far being worthy of its title but it at least played very smoothly online).

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 21, 2012, 05:10:41 AM »
Yeah, you're completely right, developers now a days realize that making a game seem lagless is more important then actually making a game lagless. It's sad really realizing how many people fall for this.

Also rifeling through some steam friends pictures has made me e-peen seem small. Watching people go 90 and 10 in TF2, 48 and 6 in MW3, and like 135 and 25 make me feel like I'm halfway retarded. Gotta up my game in Tribes, SF, and CS.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #369 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
Some people are excessively beastly, though. I can't help but wonder how many pros jump on pubs just to keep the self-proclaimed experts humble.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »
Yeah, I definitely know the pubstar mentality. I'm a bit of one. Suppose I don't feel too bad about that MW3 one, what with the killstreaks and the fact that even I went positive my first game. but whatever, I'm starting to feel a bit better now since I've been able to break through a bit in Tribes.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/523778772495970771/87AB111571FCB6011B7C29063D12B3B89342A8CD/

Did this as a tech with a pretty good sentry spot. I can top a team pretty easily as defense now, and his turret is super useful.

Also this is my best so far, as a Brute

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/523778879610426374/7AA9699E4360BA04D819502B310150EBD0D7C53F/

Felt good about that Tank kill, I just lobed some spinfusor rounds at it from half the map away and managed to hit it twice and blow it up.

Really digging the game and loving how cheap they made all the classes, just gotta save up a lot to get all the guns, and the upgrades seem a little hard to find and manage now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:35:52 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
beating damdai in super turbo 3 times a year ago

lets just ignore that he beat me 70 times and put some of those on youtube with this...

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 27, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »
I really wish I could be semi competent to fighters. I'm still pissed 2012 patch hasn't come to PC, fucking Capcom man.

Also just had my first few good games in SMNC. Game is a load of fun, but they really upped the dota aspects and it takes a lot more teamwork to win now. Also seems pretty unbalanced so far, but hopefully it stays active as it's loads of fun.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595843275520909745/5B5129DB6F1EE9F1DA2430746BA98D4D4A0B0DBA/

assault still seems overpowered. Also I hate my team. Almost only had 1 death, but I got snuck up on about 35 seconds before the round ended. Oh, and this was my first time as assault, the lobby timer ran out and forced me to play as him.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595843275520527391/021F7CE5C9D78814C75F0BF2FB46B3C71F06776E/

my only decent support run. I like how the new support works, if the enemy runs into my mini turrets it can screw them over badly.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #373 on: December 07, 2015, 01:53:03 AM »
I just finished a no-save, bandage-only run through Undertale. Pretty stressful near the end (fuck you, Mettaton), but definitely rewarding!

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 16, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
Bought my first apartment in GTA V Online :')
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/