Author Topic: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread  (Read 555714 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread
« Reply #945 on: October 15, 2007, 11:18:51 AM »
Spec. I have an 80 GB driver and a 15 GB drive full, and if it wasn't for the reformatting, my 320 GB would also be pretty much full.
I only own a few games I'd ever want to install again, so it's pretty much ALL torrents.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #946 on: October 15, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »
Lol, I don't know much about the show at all. Almost all the TV I watch consists of All the CSIs, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, and the Comedy Network. Oh, and the Sopranos. God that show is awesome.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #947 on: October 15, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »
spec, explain the awesomeness of wget.

Pretty much everything you said, plus you can use -c to continue broken downloads.  Not to mention that if you have a long-term download it's a lot lighter than having Firefox or whatever running.

ps spec, you really don't. I would have more, but my HD crashed, and havent been able to pay postage to return it. :\\

I know, it was more of a shock when I first looked at it.  I've been trying to clean up my 400GB drive because I've been running out of space and I quickly found that half of it was taken up by torrents (note that I have several other things, like MAME disk images and about 40GB of Amiga software, that was moved elsewhere). XD  So, in reality, that figure is more like 200GB, not including the unorganized stuff plastered all over my E drive (and the music on D (and my Linux drive (and the CD images that I have organized on C and F))).

I've been archiving my drive to DVDs lately.  I already burned six of them and went from having 5GB free to having 40GB free.  Woot!

Ultimately, I'm probably just going to have to get a big external one.  I can't connect any more drives into my system without a PCI card, and I'm not going to upgrade any of my IDE drives because odds are the next board I get will only have one IDE port.

Woo, rambling!
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 15, 2007, 02:14:57 PM »
The episode of Desperate Housewives that just came on was so awesome, haha. I'm beginning to love that show.

Did not see this coming. I always thought the show was so meh.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #949 on: October 15, 2007, 02:29:30 PM »
I couldn't stand archiving my computer to DVDs. Blueray, maybe if the drivers weren't INSANELY expensive. I'd rather buy a drive enclosure and just buy another drive every time one gets filled up. Or better yet, one of those networked data server thingies with hot swappable drives and such.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #950 on: October 15, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »
I generally just start burning and then go do something else...use my laptop, whatever.  My system isn't the most responsive while stuff be burnin'.

Also, I'd rather not back up magnetic media on magnetic media.  That's just not a very good idea.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #951 on: October 15, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
Well, I meant the ones that use standard hard drives (I believe they are designed to be more or less hot swappable now). Something like this: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3281671&CatId=207 (that's the cheap side).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #952 on: October 15, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »
Balls, I have an essay test for AP American History tomorrow. I should study.

Better yet, I should develop study habits.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #953 on: October 15, 2007, 09:15:07 PM »
Woo, my PSP is now happily running 3.71 M33-2. :)

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 15, 2007, 09:26:59 PM »
I saw some dual-layer DVD-R's at Best Buy that hold ~8.5 GB. When I get some money, I'll probably buy a pack and use those for archiving instead of regular DVD-R's.

Shitty having a 68.5 GB HD.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #955 on: October 15, 2007, 10:47:36 PM »
I dunno, I'd probably stick with the regular ones.  Let's just say, I was able to buy 100 DVD-/+Rs for what I'd have paid for 25 dual-layer DVD-/+R.  It's really not worth it.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #956 on: October 15, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »
Well, the plus side of getting dual layer is that you need less of them to back up your data, but the problem is that if you use them with any regularity, and they happen to get damaged, you are liable to lose a lot more data if it gets damaged. I'm terrible at archiving stuff on CDs or DVDs, so for the sake of actually keeping something, I'd like to get one of those networked storage systems if I can get the money for it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #957 on: October 16, 2007, 12:18:57 AM »
Sure, you need less of them to back up your data, but when you're only getting half of them for the same price, what's the point?  You're essentially paying twice as much per byte for dual-layer discs.  I'd rather save a good chunk of money at the expense of a tiny bit more physical space.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #958 on: October 16, 2007, 12:27:12 AM »
I'm not debating the fact that they are more expensive, though I probably would sue dual layer DVDs just because I hate having to try to keep track of a bunch of CDs, and if I'm actually archiving on something like a DVD, I'm gonna keep them in one place. I'd rather have the space to archive something like an entire season of high quality anime + a movie on 1 disk than to start splitting things up.

Anyway, I'm more likely to use networked storage anyway because I like immediate access to my storage, as well as the security to know that it's on something like a harddrive, which I find can take much more of a beating than a CD. We're not good at keeping disks in good condition.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #959 on: October 16, 2007, 01:13:35 AM »
This is why I bought 200 DVD+R discs and 50 DVD-DL . Well, mostly because Netflix + dvd burner = an epic combo, but I only got the DL ones for discs that would NEED it.  I really don't want to have to use DVD shrink to put an 8.4 GB disc onto just a 4.7 GB disc. (even though the program works extremely well and I am more than impressed with it) Anyway, I doubt anyone has any unbreakable files/folders that are larger than 4.7 GB. torrent folders can be broken down to single torrents, etc. And yeah, bobbias pretty much summed it up, too... While it may be nice using less discs, you're still putting all of your eggs in one basket. Remember, your invaluable data is riding on a piece of plastic with shiny piece of silver/aluminum on the backing about 10 pieces of paper thick. XD.
Scratches and data CDs do NOT go well together at all... In fact, I have about 7 or so windows XP discs burned (I claim fair use..........) simply because the windows installer had read errors on the disc (and just misplacing the CDs, or not knowing what the disc was later because i didnt care to label it)... And I'm talking about right off the spindle, directly into the burner, eject, into the other computer. Usually when I was fixing up other people's computers, I'd bring two of them, just for that reason. heh. But anyway...

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.