Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 571992 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #1200 on: November 22, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »
I've started sticking to a regular work out routine, maybe I can keep this up.

Also the SSF4 finals were grand, shame that Vangeif lost to a counter pick. Still, he did an amazing job.

Also also I'm terribly afraid that I'm a dumb, boring person.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:29:20 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1201 on: November 25, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »
Despite my rather lukewarm reaction to the original iPhone announcement, I think I've become an iTard.

I have two mobile phones -- one for personal use that I own and one for a mixture of personal and business that's owned by my company.  The phone that I own is a T-Mobile G1 -- also known as the HTC Dream -- and runs Android.  My company phone is an iPhone 3G which, obviously runs iOS.

The G1 has a faster processor than the iPhone, not to mention more RAM.  It has a better camera then the iPhone 3G with autofocus, supports multitasking, has a slide-out keyboard, has a digital compass which is reasonable accurate, and really does look rather nice on paper.  Here's the kicker: I can't bloody stand using the thing.

Why?  Fucking Android, that's why.  I've never seen any OS that can take a powerful ARM platform and absolutely bring it to its knees.  Android 1.1 (which came on the device when I bought it) ran rather well, keeping up with an iPhone 2G/3G running iOS 3 (definitely not as speedy as an iPhone 2G/3G with iOS 2, though) and being rather snappy.  That said, Android 1.1 was, in some ways, a downgrade from my Motorola flip phone.  Then, Android 1.5 came out and the phone got ludicrously slow.  1.6 sped it up a bit, but...well, if you've ever tried to run iOS 4.0 on an iPhone 3G, you'd know what it feels like.  My usable phone turned into a slow hunk of plastic.  The major difference is that Apple realized that they fucked up and made 4.2 rather speedy on the old platform while the G1 was perpetually stuck running 1.6.

I got around the speed issue by using a custom firmware and installing Android 2.1, then 2.2.  Well, sort of.  The phone sure is fast on the home screen, but the rest of it is a mixed bag.  Here's the process that I have to go through when I try to reply to a text message:

1) Press a button to wake up the display.
2) Slide to unlock the screen.
3) Wait about 5 seconds for the home screen to draw (note: I only have two widgets active, neither of which hit the CPU or RAM very hard).
4) Press the Messaging icon.
5) Wait a few seconds for the screen to show feedback indicating that I hit the icon.
6) Wait about 10 more seconds to see a black screen come up.
7) Wait about 5 seconds for the messages to pop up.
8) Decide whether I want to try to use the shitty, unresponsive, and inaccurate on-screen keyboard or use the device keyboard, which will add about five seconds to the experience because it actually has to rotate the screen.  Gasp.

At this point, the app is relatively responsive, but it took 15 goddamn seconds to get to that point.  Oh, I almost forgot: 192MB of RAM is not enough for Android.  Even though I manually went through and killed off a ton of services that I don't plan to use on the phone, Messaging sometimes manages to run out of memory on first launch and winds up getting force quit by Android, forcing me to have to reopen it and wait 15 more seconds before it becomes usable.  1.5/1.6 were both terrible in terms of launch speed, but at least Messaging wouldn't force quit on those versions.

When I had my iPhone 3G running iOS 4 (I must emphasise: 3.1.3 or 4.2.1.  4.0 and 4.1 are bad, m'kay?) it wasn't that damn slow.  Here is the process that I take when I want to send a message on the iPhone (which is now running 3.1.3, but the experience is identical on all versions I've used on it):

1) Press the home or lock button to wake the screen up.
2) Slide to unlock.
3) Press "Messages" on the dock.
4) Wait about three seconds.

That is literally it.  No long delays, no waiting for the damn SpringBoard to catch up, and no random force quits (well, technically I do get them in certain instances, but those are triggered and required by some jailbreakware that I have installed that adds some additional SMS functionality; without that being installed I've never had Messages force quit).  It's how a smartphone should work.  Hell, it's how a modern cell phone.  It's how my "dumb" Motorola flip phone worked!

The terrible part about this is that my experiences aren't even limited to my handset.  Technically, my phone isn't even supposed to run Android 2.2, but I have it running that anyway (more on that in a bit).  However, I know an owner of the original Droid -- a handset that does support 2.2 -- that has the exact same issues with it that I'm having with my unsupported G1, even more in some cases.

That leads me to another major problem with Android: market fragmentation.  Any phone that you wind up buying could have anywhere from a ~500MHz ARM11 or a 1GHz+ ARM Cortex-A8, anything from Android 1.6 (yes, they still sell Android 1.6 handsets) to 2.2, anything from 256MB of RAM to 1GB, literally any amount of internal storage, any screen resolution, a few have a physical keyboard, different GPUs, and not to mention various other manufacturer-specific quirks that can literally prevent well-behaved apps from running.  It's J2ME all over again.

Developers not only have to deal with all of that crap, but they also have to deal with the mess that is the Android SDK.  By and large, if an app is released for iOS, it will work nicely with future hardware platforms.  If I run older iOS apps (as in designed for iOS 2, to be run on an iPhone 2G/3G) on my 4th gen iPod touch, the apps still work great, sometimes better than it does on the hardware that it was targeted for due to the increased RAM size and better CPU/GPU.  With an Android app, you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.  While things have certainly improved, it still gives off a vibe of everything just being thrown together.  It's truly awful.  About the only saving grace is that the Android platform was designed around a lot of variables, so the Android simulator can be configured to be just about anything.  While that doesn't cover the aforementioned "manufacturer-specific quirks", it'll at least allow you to see how your program would look on all varieties of different hardware configurations.

Probably the worst and most predominant bit of market fragmentation is the actual version of Android.  Every time there's a new version of Android, hundreds of comments in the Market say "I upgraded to X.Y and this app broke!  Please update!"  While that does certainly happen in Apple's walled garden, I noticed considerably fewer issues going from iOS 2 to iOS 3 and iOS 3 to iOS 4 than I have going from Android 1.5 to 1.6.  Android breaks app compatibility regularly in what should be minor OS revisions, and in the entire time I've been watching the Android market (from 1.1 to present) it's never stopped being an issue.

The worst part about all of this is that if you have an older handset like mine, you tend to get stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I could either stick with the supported 1.6, still have a fairly slow phone, and have a limited app selection, or I could stay with 2.2, have an even slower phone, and be able to use it for a lot more things.  What's the solution here?  I've only had the damned thing for a little over a year and I can't do shit with it!  I'm not going to buy another piece of shit Android handset only to have the same bloody thing happen.  I'm not completely stupid.

The worst part is that the iPhone 3G, which pre-dates the G1, is considerably more useful.  It's based on the same platform as the original iPhone, with 3G capabilities added in, but it's still a dream to use!  Just earlier I was browsing the web with Safari.  I clicked on a YouTube link and it opened in the YouTube app, as expected.  I pressed Done and it went right back to the web page.  That's the way it fucking should be!  Even with as dated as the processor in that sucker is, everything still handled smoothly.  It took a bit more time to render the web pages than it would if I were to use my iPod, but it was still well within acceptable boundaries.

I've tried to do similar things on my Android device and I've found that actually getting back to what you were working on is a trying experience at best.  You can hit the back button and, if you're lucky, it'll work.  No guarantees, though.  Sometimes the OS will force quit the browser from under you and you'll have to find your way back to where you were after waiting for the page to reload.  It doesn't need to have a consistent or rational behavior because...well, because it's Android.

And seriously, that iPhone experience that I just related inspired me to write this rant.  Honestly, when I do things like that with iOS it just feels very intuitive and natural.  It really highlights just how much of a gigantic kludge Android is.

The saddest part is that I started out being very pro-Android and borderline dismissive of the iPhone.  I loved the capabilities of the G1 when it was coming to the market.  Now I love iOS and regret ever buying an Android handset.  Funny how that works, isn't it?

I am seriously considering getting an iPhone if it moves to Verizon.  If not, well, I guess I'll just go back to a flip phone for all of my personal calls/texts.  I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to tolerate my G1.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1202 on: November 25, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »
To augment my rant above: I just updated my iPhone to iOS 4.2.  It runs beautifully.  Far better than the 4.0 disaster and, in some workloads, even better than 3.1.

A two and a half year old phone running on a three and a half year old platform with a 412MHz CPU and 128MB of RAM and able to run the latest operating system version?  Not bad, especially when you consider that a phone with a 528MHz ARM (which I overclocked to 572MHz due to performance issues!) and 192MB of RAM can't run any OS other than the one that it shipped with acceptably.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 25, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
 Nice sight xxxxx, any recommended albums?

Also spec, I usually think smart phone users are assholes (getting expensive phones because it's largely a fad [my friend said touch screens were the future, I disagreed] and largley using said phones for facebook, texting, and really dumb "apps") but you seem to be using yours to its fullest.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1204 on: November 25, 2010, 10:39:46 PM »
wall of text
I have a cheap Pay As You Go phone and it seems to be doing me fine <.<

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1205 on: November 26, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »
Also spec, I usually think smart phone users are assholes (getting expensive phones because it's largely a fad [my friend said touch screens were the future, I disagreed] and largley using said phones for facebook, texting, and really dumb "apps") but you seem to be using yours to its fullest.

Well, I would use my G1 to its fullest if it would let me. :<  Agreed on the comment about the average smart phone user, though.  I'm continually amazed how many people buy $400 phones just to text on.  Oh well, more power to them if they want to blow their money.

My main motivations for owning a smartphone for personal use is the ability to check my e-mail on the go and look things up on the Internet while I'm at stores.  Running applications is also nice, whether it be a game to pass the time or some sort of utility that I can use to make things easier.  I like the iPhone in particular because it doesn't overcomplicate things.

Android apologists are quick to jump on people who have any complaints about their platform by saying shit like "rooting your phone will fix that!" or "if you're complaining about performance and don't have a task killer, I have no sympathy!"  Seriously, these tools should listen to themselves.  I paid $160 for the fucking phone.  Why should I have to dick around with low-level OS shit just to get it working acceptably?  That would be like if a large computer manufacturer just shipped their customers a box of parts with a note saying "good luck, fucker."  Sure, the tweakers and tinkerers would love it, but your average customer wouldn't be too pleased.

I have a cheap Pay As You Go phone and it seems to be doing me fine <.<

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about going back to my half-broken flip phone. :x  It's great at making calls, decent at texting, doesn't require a data plan, doesn't drive me insane, and I can still use my work phone for doing on-the-road browsing.

It was a lesson learned, at least.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1206 on: November 26, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
I have an LG Rumor. Thing runs great with 1 exception. Loading any of the text message folders when they have more than like, 40 messages stored, is INCREDIBLY slow. But I rarely need to do that, so it's acceptable. Also, I'm using pay as you go, and it's pretty cheap... Of course, my phone's out of service for now thanks to being broke :/
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1207 on: November 27, 2010, 01:32:39 AM »
http://g-k.sakura.ne.jp/chinko-ondo.swf

Oh japan...

http://everything2.com/title/Chinko+Ondo

On a much more serious note:
http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/ec3xh/even_skimming_this_post_once_will_blow_your_mind/

What. The. Fuck. How does that legally exist? Why has nobody managed to even deal a serious blow to them yet??
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:28:39 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1208 on: November 28, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »
I had like $60 rollover built up once, but AT&T stole it when I accidentally put a card in a day late.

Wow, that's bullshit.

You'd think that sort of thing would just stay in your account, not mystically disappear if your payment is slightly late once.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 28, 2010, 03:29:47 AM »
On a much more serious note:
http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/ec3xh/even_skimming_this_post_once_will_blow_your_mind/

What. The. Fuck. How does that legally exist? Why has nobody managed to even deal a serious blow to them yet??

That is pretty outrageous. Makes me want to find those responsible and set fire to their houses at night.

Oh and how about that war with Corea?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:13:40 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1210 on: November 28, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »

Holy shit, that's scary, especially after reading the page where he answers specific questions about the school...

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: November 28, 2010, 07:47:50 PM »
rant

I have a Galaxy S running Android 2.2 and I haven't had any issues with it. Only real things that bug me are that Android arbitrarily doesn't close out apps, which is solved with a task manager (though it would certainly be nice if I didn't need it...); and I had issues with battery life until I rooted the phone and got SetCPU. Everything aside, the phone is responsive, the onscreen keyboard works great (I'm really liking Swype), and I really haven't had anything like the issues you mentioned since I got the phone.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:52:32 PM by annon »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1212 on: November 29, 2010, 01:27:29 AM »
I have a Galaxy S running Android 2.2 and I haven't had any issues with it. Only real things that bug me are that Android arbitrarily doesn't close out apps, which is solved with a task manager (though it would certainly be nice if I didn't need it...); and I had issues with battery life until I rooted the phone and got SetCPU. Everything aside, the phone is responsive, the onscreen keyboard works great (I'm really liking Swype), and I really haven't had anything like the issues you mentioned since I got the phone.

That's because the Galaxy S is a top of the line phone.  A phone running a gigahertz ARM Cortex-A8 and half a gig of RAM had better run well.  I'm referring more to the fact that anyone who has a sub-gigahertz phone is basically screwed, even more so if their carrier pushes 2.2 to their phone.  Also, thanks to the various forms of market fragmentation with Android, if you don't update to 2.2 (or at least 2.1) you're going to have a hard time running a bunch of Market applications.

From what I've seen, the only way to make Android run well is to throw a bunch of hardware at it and hope for the best.  My iPhone 3G running the latest OS is extremely usable with surprisingly little lag.  My G1, on the other hand, can barely run 1.5/1.6 even though its hardware is quite a bit better than the iPhone 3G.  That, to me, is a serious problem.  My only choice right now is to jump back to a well-optimized ROM based on 1.X (say, Cyanogenmod 4) and hope that everything I need runs on it or to go back to my flip phone.

You could argue that Android needs more power because of some of its features, like multitasking.  That said, why on earth do I need true multitasking on a phone?  I think a lot of people really overvalue true multitasking on a mobile platform.  The screen is so small that you really can't fit multiple programs on-screen at once.  The CPU is generally weak enough where running multiple programs at once would be a bad idea.  The only thing that should feasibly run in the background are things like media players.  If I press the home button it's because I want to stop using the app and return to my home screen, not leave the app running.  That's how literally every other platform works.  Except Android, that is.  Android has absolutely no concept of quitting an application, aside from when you go in and tell it to kill it.

I actually forgot to mention battery life in my original rant.  Android doesn't go to sleep properly about 10% of the time.  The only way around that little "feature" is rooting the phone, tweaking the behavior with Spare Parts, and getting a SetCPU profile.  Even then I've had that fail.  Sometimes, mysteriously, something will keep the CPU clocked to full speed and my phone will die within an hour.  This happened in every version of Android that was on the device, from 1.1 to 2.2.  That is a severe issue and one of the reasons why my phone rarely leaves the house.  There was one time that I needed to make a call on the road.  Let's just say, it's a good thing I had the iPhone with me.  I know several other people with Android phones, rooted and non-rooted, that have the same issue, though it's not as severe on the non-G1s.  The battery life was one of the negative points of the G1, and it certainly wasn't helped by Android's bugs.  My phone, idle and off the charger, lasts anywhere from two hours (when it's "sleeping") to 3-5 days (when it really is sleeping).  Make sense of that if you will.

All in all, you simply should not have to do any of that in order to get a usable cell phone.  There's no reason that anyone should have to download task managers and root the device.  With the iPhone, you jailbreak if you want additional functionality, not to maintain stability.  I mean, reread your post.  You said you had no issues with it but you still had to install a task manager and a tool to set your CPU's clock speed.  Why should you have to do that on a consumer device?  You don't have to do that kind of crap on computers and you most certainly shouldn't have to do it on a mobile phone.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 29, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
Ok, I see what you're saying. Android's way less stable than any full release should be. I'm used to having shit phones, so an Android was a pretty big upgrade. I'm also used to tweaking things to get them working right, so I didn't really see it as the consumer-level problem that it is.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1214 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »
Yeah, you're pretty much nailed my concerns with it.  My biggest issue with it is that I very much depend on my cell phone and my fancy smartphone just isn't dependable due to its OS.

Now that I've cooled down a bit I'm going to try downgrading to 1.6 tonight.  I suppose I can deal with it running slowly as long as it's reasonably stable.  Right now it's slow as hell and I have a hard time keeping core programs running, so going back to 1.1 would be a major improvement at this point.