Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 585602 times)

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #1275 on: December 06, 2010, 12:36:04 PM »
Programmer + simple math + transmission geekery = this comparison of the manual and automatic transaxles used in my car.

Getrag F23 stats [ed. - manual transaxle]
MPH per 1000 RPM:
        1st (3.580:1): 5.387
        2nd (2.020:1): 9.547
        3rd (1.350:1): 14.285
        4th (0.980:1): 19.678
        5th (0.690:1): 27.949
Final drive ratio: 3.840

Daewoo 4T40E stats [ed. - automatic transaxle]
MPH per 1000 RPM:
        1st (2.960:1): 6.398
        2nd (1.626:1): 11.648
        3rd (1.000:1): 18.939
        4th (0.681:1): 27.811
Final drive ratio: 3.910

This will work for any geared transmission as long as you know the gear ratios, final drive ratio, and the wheel size. Any requests? :V

On a related note, if my car's automatic transaxle eventually dies, everything else is still good, and I have the money, I'm gonna swap it out for a manual transaxle. Been looking into it for a while (morbid curiosity) and it's actually not too terrible: drop the engine block, remove the transaxle and torque converter, apply flywheel and clutch housing, install clutch pedal and hydraulic control, apply transaxle, weld two mounting brackets into place, replace engine block. Get the ECU reflashed or pick one up from a junked manual car in the meantime.

My car's still running strong, but I hate my transaxle more than everything else about it combined and would love to replace it when it dies rather than getting a new car. Parts and tools look to be close to $1000, which is barely enough to buy a clunker running on borrowed time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:43:33 PM by 『フエハデ』 »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1276 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »
Yeah, transmission swaps aren't as complicated as people make them out to be... They're just a giant pain in the ass to actually do :P
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 06, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
I don't mind that it'd take forever, honestly - get me the tools, parts, and time to make it happen and I'll do it - but I'm a terrible welder and I'm not sure where to get the welding brackets (aside from torching them off a junked third-generation J-body). Other than that, I'm totally willing to put a week or two into making it happen. Hell, if I didn't have to pay for the materials, I'd do it as soon as finals week is over. I hate my car's transaxle. The gearing isn't great, the torque converter makes throttle response terrible and loses a lot of power, and the torque converter clutch is finicky at best in cold weather; it won't engage at all until the engine's almost completely warm, which screws with the gearing, since it normally engages the clutch in the middle of 3rd gear (to make the ratio drop less dramatic).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:29:39 PM by 『フエハデ』 »

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 08, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
Fucking war on the internet, yess
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1279 on: December 08, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »
I don't mind that it'd take forever, honestly - get me the tools, parts, and time to make it happen and I'll do it - but I'm a terrible welder and I'm not sure where to get the welding brackets (aside from torching them off a junked third-generation J-body). Other than that, I'm totally willing to put a week or two into making it happen. Hell, if I didn't have to pay for the materials, I'd do it as soon as finals week is over. I hate my car's transaxle. The gearing isn't great, the torque converter makes throttle response terrible and loses a lot of power, and the torque converter clutch is finicky at best in cold weather; it won't engage at all until the engine's almost completely warm, which screws with the gearing, since it normally engages the clutch in the middle of 3rd gear (to make the ratio drop less dramatic).

Wow, that is retarded.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1280 on: December 08, 2010, 01:30:18 PM »
<car stuff>
Jeez I dunno, I'm just glad that my car goes vroom when I press the pedal ._.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 08, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »
Wow, you guys know a lot about cars. I hardly know how to change my own oil.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #1282 on: December 08, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
I don't know how to change my own oil >.>

Kulli

« Reply #1283 on: December 08, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »
I don't own a car, I don't have my license, and the only thing I know how to do is drive it. I don't even know how to park.

How do you think I feel?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1284 on: December 08, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »
Wow, you guys know a lot about cars. I hardly know how to change my own oil.

I still dont know that much about cars myself, but it really helps having a friend who just got a job as a mechanic, and who's hobby was working on cars. I've see him perform an engine swap using nothing but a couple metal bars and a come along... I've seen him tear out steering arms, and all sorts of other crazy things.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 09, 2010, 04:42:07 AM »
I have a friend who rebuilds old trucks and whatnot (he's a mechanical engineer major, and does a lot of that stuff for muddin') and I still now fuck all about cars.

Oh yeah and http://www.killingfloorthegame.com/xmas/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1286 on: December 09, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »
I have a friend who rebuilds old trucks and whatnot (he's a mechanical engineer major, and does a lot of that stuff for muddin') and I still now fuck all about cars.

Oh yeah and http://www.killingfloorthegame.com/xmas/

Have you active assisted him in his projects? I've gone with my friend to pick up random parts from the scrap yard, helped him perform engine swaps, etc. etc. and I've learned a lot about that stuff. I'd still say I know dick all, but I certainly know a LOT more than I used to thanks to him.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1287 on: December 09, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »
I picked most of my knowledge up from my dad, not to mention actually doing some of the work.  He's done more work on my car than I have lately due to my job sucking up a lot of time, but between the cars that I've owned I've replaced plenty of parts, changed oil plenty of times, and all that fun stuff.

Probably the thing that I did that made me the happiest was replace my Saturn's stock air intake with an open air intake and its exhaust with a sports exhaust (better air flow, slightly gruntier noise, but definitely not a weedwacker fart can).  With a bit of careful driving, I was able to get 50 mpg (highway) out of it, which is pretty bloody awesome for mid-90's automatic that can actually get out of its own way.  That car is only "supposed" to get around 34.
"This is a machine for making cows."

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 09, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »
<car hax talk here>

I work with a guy who restored several cars and fixes them ontop of working at Hell Depot.  He has taught me alot about them.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 09, 2010, 09:21:42 PM »
To boobies.

....no.

I gave my dog a bath today, and it was really depressing. She could hardly stand, and washing her almost made her fall. She's old as hell, but it still makes me sad to know she doesn't have much time left (shit I've been saying this for a while now).

Also there's this cute girl in one of my classes who I think is into me (we made eye contact a few times, and I swear she gave me this weird signal) but I only have one class left and it's an exam and I've never really had a conversation with this person and we sit nowhere near each other. OH GOD WHAT DO?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 06:28:46 AM by MortifiedocAlot »