Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 809092 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #1545 on: March 17, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
You mean both your hands went on spring break without you?

Daaaaaang.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 17, 2009, 07:00:32 PM »
My internet connection is complete garbage and I don't know why. It's basically dropped by half and now everything loads slow as hell. Really hating this connector, everything about it is slow.

Also the fact that you can't clean a keyboard without getting accusations. Because I really put the head of my dick in the middle of my keyboard and let lose.     

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1547 on: March 17, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »
You sick bastard!  D:
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1548 on: March 17, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
My internet connection is complete garbage and I don't know why. It's basically dropped by half and now everything loads slow as hell. Really hating this connector, everything about it is slow.

Welcome to my world.

We upgraded our DSL to the next level and, while the upload rates saw a slight spike (though it's only up to ~620kbps, not ~768kbps like it should be) the download rate is still the same old 3mbps (it should be 6mbps/768kbps).  Time to call AT&T.  *sigh*

Also the fact that you can't clean a keyboard without getting accusations. Because I really put the head of my dick in the middle of my keyboard and let lose.     

I lol'd.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 19, 2009, 12:17:51 AM »
Yeah, but this is uncalled for considering my sister gets about 2 bars most of the time.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1550 on: March 19, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
Main problem: it's a USB adapter.  Those things suck balls.

The internal PCI cards (especially the ones with a long antenna or dual antennae) and laptop mini-PCI cards (i.e. the "built in" ones that use the display as an aerial) are way better.  If you want to use wi-fi for anything serious.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 23, 2009, 10:12:27 AM »
My computer has been down for almost 2 weeks.  I am posting on my PS3.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1552 on: March 23, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »
I just realized that I have no way of accessing my 1 TB NAS. I forgot to change it's settings prior to switching to the new router we have, and now it still thinks it's statically routed as 192.168.1.11 when my new router wants to run everything on the 192.168.0.0 space.

Spec, I don't know enough about routing to figure out why my router won't statically route that IP address....
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1553 on: March 24, 2009, 08:57:11 PM »
It's because it's not technically a part of your network.  The subnet mask establishes which part of the IP address contains network bits.  For example, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means that the first three octets indicate what network you're in.  Since your computer is in the 192.168.0.0 network, your NAS is in the 192.168.1.0 network, and you're plugged into the switch section (the router only routes packets between the WAN port and the switch ports) you are unable to talk to the NAS.

The easiest way to solve the problem would be to set your computer's IP to 192.168.1.something, set the IP of the NAS to something in the 192.168.0.0 network, and change your computer back to what it was originally set for.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1554 on: March 24, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »
I fixed that error not long ago. I changed my router to 192.168.1.1. I thought i had to redo the static routing as well, but apparently it mysteriously worked once I switched subnets. All my other computers are on dhcp right now, so my NAS was the only one that I had statically routed before.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1555 on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:24 PM »
There's nothing mysterious about it -- the NAS was on a different network than the switched devices.  Since the switch ports on the router are simple layer 2 devices it is impossible to break outside of your current network without some silly subnet mask hackery.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1556 on: March 24, 2009, 10:37:59 PM »
What was mysterious is that on my old router i had to manually do the static routing, on this one, it simply worked once I switched subnets.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 25, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »
How much the context affects what μ represents in physics. It makes it really ambiguous.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1558 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:53 AM »
What was mysterious is that on my old router i had to manually do the static routing, on this one, it simply worked once I switched subnets.

You didn't have to do anything because no routing was being done.  The switch ports on the routers are incapable of doing any sort of routing.  The only layer 3 routing that gets done is between the WAN and LAN ports.  This is why a router can be completely crashed and still switch packets -- home "routers" are just four port switches with routing software and an additional interface.

Subnets, networks, all of them act as barriers.  When you're dealing with a device that's strictly layer 2, it has no way of knowing how to do any layer 3 switching.

The order that data is pushed about in a standard networking device is defined by the OSI model as follows: (1) physical, (2) data link, (3) network, (4) transport, (5) session, (6) presentation, (7) application.  Applications are at the highest level and physical is at the lowest.  Whenever you initiate communications between two devices, it'll move down the layers on the source computer and up the layers on the second computer.  Encapsulation occurs in this order.

The bits that actually make up the packet are generally contained in the application, transport, network, and data link layers, in that order (there are some additional complexities thrown in, such as packet size limits, but for this example let's just assume that everything is contained in one packet).  The application data is surrounded by the network layer data, which is surrounded by the data link layer data, which is sent via the physical layer.  Let's say you want to get to initiate a file transfer between your computer and the NAS and we'll assume that your computer has an IP address of 192.168.0.200 and a MAC address of 00-01-23-45-67-89 and your NAS has an IP of 192.168.1.11 and a MAC address of 00-FE-DC-BA-98-76.

At this point, we have the data that you want to send.  The data would get wrapped in a TCP packet (transport layer, I believe), to provide the necessary port numbers and other information, then an IP packet (network layer), giving the source and destination IP addresses among other things.

From there, our humble little TCP/IP packet is wrapped up in a frame, the units used in layer 2, the data link layer.  This is the layer that the switch works in and is the sole reason that you cannot cross IP networks using a normal switch.  The frame consists of the source and destination MAC addresses.  Layer 2 devices don't care how data gets from point A to point B -- they just look at the MAC address and figure out how to pass the information from device to device.

This is where the hang-up is happening in your case.  Since 192.168.1.11 is part of the 192.168.1.0 network and not the 192.168.0.0 network that your computer is in (since your subnet mask indicates that all three octets represent the network), your computer (correctly) assumes that the device isn't in your network.  Since your gateway is set to your router's IP -- no doubt something like 192.168.0.1 -- it directs the frame to that device.  Now, our frame is at the router.  Since the destination MAC address matches that of the router it grabs and starts unwinding the packet.  When it checks layer 3 it would see that the destination address is, indeed, outside of its network.  Since it only does routing between the WAN port and the internal switch, it would attempt to find the 192.168.1.0 network using the WAN port.  Since that network doesn't exist on the Internet it would simply time out, preventing you from accessing the NAS.

If the NAS were on your network (let's say its address is 192.168.0.11 instead) your computer would recognize that it was on your network right away.  Instead of sending it to the default gateway it would first discover the MAC address of the NAS using ARP (address resolution protocol -- a means to get a MAC address when only the IP is known) and when the frame is created it would set the destination MAC address to be the NAS.  When the switch receives the frame it would look at the destination address, recognize it, and send the packet off on the appropriate port, getting it straight to the NAS without the layer 3 software even touching it.

See?  I told you there was nothing complicated or mysterious about it. :P

I love networking, can't you tell?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1559 on: March 26, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »
I meant that before I had to make sure my router was aware of the statically allocated IP address, if that clears things up a bit more...

Also, I tried using the Static Routing part and setting my subnet mask to 255.255.0.0, but it was giving me the error "Please input the valid IP address" or something to that effect.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x