Retired > |)|)R FR3|<

Confessions from a Computer Technician

(1/3) > >>

Spectere:
At the residential office where I work work, the office manager was recounting a customer issue to me when I was dropping something off there last week.  One of our customers is one of these "tinkerers."  One of the people who write those shitty, uninformed, damaging reviews on Newegg.  His computer is a terribly constructed Athlon X2 system.  It's one of those classic stories where he spent a bundle of money on a case, threw in a cheap, piece of shit power supply, threw in three hard drives (each of them partitioned with at least four NTFS partitions, most of them empty), threw in a gaming video card (a 8800GTX in this case) to render Internet Explorer windows, bought two gigs of cheap RAM, bought the fastest processor that he could get at the time, and put in the cheapest AM2 motherboard on the market.  Needless to say, it runs like shit.

His power supply wound up blowing out.  Strangely enough, three hard drives and a power-guzzling processor and video card don't work well with a 350W power supply.  We diagnosed the issue and started running into boot issues.  After slapping in a decent power supply (my company buys Thermaltake PSUs, not the cheap shit), the customer decided that he wanted us to clone his OS drive to his empty 2TB data drive.  The clone went well, I grew the partitions, and all was well for about a day, then the system refused to boot.  When the store manager explained this to the customer, he got an earful about how he needs to "bridge the pins" (the guy is clearly too smart to know that the proper term is "jumper") to configure the drive.  When the manager tried to explain that those pins don't change the addressing like they do on IDE drives, the customer started acting like a condescending jackass until he finally rang off.

A little bit of knowledge in this field goes...precisely nowhere.  If you're relying on old knowledge (many models in the IBM PS/2 line -- introduced in the late 80s -- used cable select on IDE by default) about a nearly-obsolete (it's been a good run, IDE) technology, don't fucking act like you know anything about the new stuff.  If I were working independently and that idiot would have told me that, I would have told him that he was more than welcome to start jumpering pins.  Not like it would have done anything.  Guess what...the drive motor was completely fucking dead!  Jumpering random pins certainly isn't going to fix that.

Next up: my feelings on people who say "Foxfire" instead of "Firefox" and "UBS" instead of "USB," even when the said terms are printed very clearly on the fucking computer monitor.

Actually, I think I'm going to get that off my chest now.

QUIT TRYING TO ACT LIKE YOU'RE DOING THAT BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS.  DON'T EXCUSE YOUR INABILITY TO FUCKING PAY ATTENTION TO THE TEXT ON YOUR LACK OF COMPUTING KNOWLEDGE.  IT'S READING.  SIMPLE.  READING.  YOU LEARNED THIS SHIT IN KINDERGARTEN.  YOU'RE JUST TOO GODDAMN LAZY TO ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING, WHICH IS WHY YOU LET YOUR ANTIVIRUS LAPSE, WHY YOU CLICKED ON THAT SUSPICIOUS LOOKING POPUP (EVEN THOUGH YOUR FRIENDLY COMPUTER TECHNICIAN TOLD YOU NUMEROUS TIMES IN THE PAST THAT STUFF LIKE THAT WAS BAD, M'KAY), WHY YOU SPECIFICALLY GAVE THAT ROGUE ANTIVIRUS PACKAGE PERMISSION TO RUN, WHY YOU GAVE THOSE THIEVING BASTARDS YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER, AND WHY YOU CAN'T READ A SIMPLE FUCKING WORD.  WHY DON'T YOU GO BACK TO SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN HANDLE, LIKE A SPEAK-AND-SPELL.

Whew...I feel better already!

NewF:
Somebody needs a hug. <3

p.s - People are dumb. Throw a brick at them.

Kulli:

--- Quote from: Spectere on September 20, 2010, 03:35:02 AM ---stuff

--- End quote ---

TL;DR lol old people

Spectere:

--- Quote from: NewF on September 20, 2010, 03:54:40 AM ---Somebody needs a hug. <3

--- End quote ---

/hug

--- Quote from: Aa on September 20, 2010, 04:46:23 AM ---TL;DR lol old people

--- End quote ---

I wish.

Bobbias:
Nah, it's "tl;dr retards"

But yeah, I don't even work in IT (though sometimes it feels like I do, since everyone I know comes to me with their problems) and this shit pisses me the hell off. I'm at the point where I'm so close to telling anyone that if they don't want to learn things for themselves properly, I'm not even going to listen to their problem, let alone try to fix it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version