Author Topic: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!  (Read 257167 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: You couldn't ask for a lamer topic!
« Reply #645 on: August 05, 2015, 10:47:29 PM »
I ended up just breaking down and ordering an ION Video 2 PC MKII to do some composite video capture. Works pretty well! I'm not sure if it'll work with something like OBS in OS X, but I'll find out eventually.

Unfortunately, I played like absolute shit today (we're talking 50-100 points, on average, below my usual scores...yuck), so my test footage isn't particularly impressive.

Regardless, here's me playing Absolute 7H on Happy Sky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aegun3GDbcM

The output from the PS2 was captured with the Video 2 PC and the video of my hands was recorded with my iPhone 6. I'm really fucking impressed with how good cell phone cameras have gotten. It absolutely blows away the old DV camera that I used to use for my ancient IIDX/SM videos in literally every way.

I forgot to cut the video off near the end, so there's about 20 seconds of result screen in there, haha. For some reason the video didn't come through as 60fps...not really sure why! I'll have to double check a few things and possible upload some test footage to get the format right. Maybe I got the sequence settings wrong in Premiere or something. I was kind of pissed for most of the night because 1) I was annoyed at how badly I was screwing up simple charts (Absolute was probably my second best playthrough...I did better on The Earth Light, but that chart doesn't make for an interesting video at all) and 2) it seemed like every time I needed to look something up online my Internet connection would go down faster than a whore's drawers, so I wasn't being as careful and thorough as I usually would be.

Apologies for the controller wobble. I have it on a cheap TV tray table that I bought for like $9 from Target, so it's far from the sturdiest thing. The controller video was also taken at a slight angle because I didn't have a rig that could situate my phone directly above it. I compensated for it in Premiere and I think I did a pretty good job at straightening it out. If you happen to spot any distortion or skewing on the controller, however, that's why. Fortunately, the video from my phone is 1080p, so I had plenty of extra resolution to work with, even with the video being upscaled (which was done in the hopes of getting 720p60...which didn't wind up happening for some reason! It annoys me how much of a black box YouTube's encoding/processing process is).

Also note that there are no key clicks in the video. I don't yet have the cables necessary to pump the game audio through my mixer, and mixing TV audio with direct line out sounds like shit.

Edit: It just occurred to me that I should have rendered the video at 960x720 instead of 1280x720. It would have definitely compressed better. Oh well, I'll keep that in mind for next time. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:51:49 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #646 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:26 AM »
That video is... surprisingly fuzzy. Kinda funny seeing the juxtaposition of that and the clear HD footage of your phone lol. Also, that audio buzz :<. I know it's only really noticeable in the beginning (and a bit less in the ending) but still, that'e one of those real peeves I have, since it's actually really easy to get rid of.

Youtube is kinda annoying about their encoding stuff. None of my SM videos are 60fps because I play with the default window size and it's small enough that youtube won't make an HD 60fps encode of it, even if I record it in 60fps with OBS.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #647 on: August 06, 2015, 03:22:14 AM »
It's easy to get rid of audio buzz with an audio editor. It's not as easy to get rid of it in a non-linear video editor. You don't have the benefit of being able to create a solid noise profile, so you either can't get rid of enough or you knock out so much that the audio quality suffers across the board. Believe me, I tried. Premiere does fairly well with mic hiss. It doesn't do too well with buzzing, especially when the volume of the buzz varies.

I would have just pulled the audio into Audition and preprocessed it (I've done it before...that does a wonderful job), but remember the remark I made about my Internet connection deciding to repeatedly crap out during that particular stretch of time? Yeah, guess what I couldn't download.

I'm pedantic enough that I definitely wouldn't let something like that go lightly, but I was annoyed enough that I just dealt with it. It's just a test recording anyway. Like I said, most of my IIDX session tonight was pretty shameful (by the standards that I set for myself, anyway). That's one of the main reasons the video is unlisted.

And yeah, 480i with an embedded 1080p video looks kinda weird. :P If YouTube supported 480p60 I definitely would have used that. 720p is kind of overkill for PS2 gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:24:13 AM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #648 on: August 06, 2015, 11:15:13 AM »
Ahh, yeah that makes sense. Same with my SM videos being unlisted. None of them are plays I'm very happy with. Last 2 days have been bad days for me, I've been playing so much worse that I get frustrated and quit out after a couple songs.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #649 on: August 06, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
So I just checked and the video was definitely rendered at 60fps. I knew I wasn't hallucinating. Not sure what kind of bug YouTube has up its ass, but I'm going to have to figure out how I have to encode these suckers so that it actually maintains the proper framerate.

I did find a few guides, so we'll see how those go. Google doesn't seem to be too keen on letting anyone know about encoding issues or anything of the like, so it might take some tedious experimentation for me to really get it right. Fingers firmly crossed.

Also, Audition is officially installed on my iMac, so now you won't have to worry about that mean, nasty buzz invading your ear holes. ;)

Edit: Turns out, the reason for YouTube not putting up the 60fps option is because the sequence in Premiere somehow got set to interlaced rather than progressive scan, which is funny because I distinctly remember telling it not to pull settings from the PS2 footage. YouTube doesn't seem to like interlaced video (which I find to be sort of bizarre, really...most of the video uploaded to YouTube at one point was interlaced!).

I'm rendering an updated file with some of the issues fixed (rendered at a 4:3 aspect ratio, buzz removed with Audition, 60fps hopefully functional). I'll link it when it's up.

Edit2: Updated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwY6vfpAcuw

Still no 60fps for some stupid reason, but that one at least fixes most of the issues with the previous generation.

Edit3: Oh hey, awesome! 60fps showed up on the new video. Looks like you just have to give it more time. Yay!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:13:13 PM by Spectere »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #650 on: August 07, 2015, 05:29:53 AM »
Oh yeah, sometimes it can take some time to process the 60fps version.

So, Skwid released a new pack of dump files. Then this happened:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:33:48 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #651 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:36 AM »
The weird part about it is that it took quite a while for 60fps to be enabled on the Absolute video, but it took less than 5 minutes for the Z-i-V one. Speaking of transparency, I wish YouTube were a bit more transparent about the actual processing time. It really doesn't give you much to work with. :/

Also, that video was hilarious. XD

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 21, 2015, 01:34:17 AM »
I ordered one of these cubes, going to arrive on Monday. Out of nowhere I got an interest into cubing, so I figured I'd get a solid cube and give er a go. Pretty cheap so no loss if I don't take up to it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #653 on: August 21, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »
Nice! Do you plan to work on speed solving or are you just planning to do it casually?

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 23, 2015, 03:07:17 AM »
Figure I'd go at it casually. If I fool around with it enough, and figure out the damn thing, I'd probably give speed cubing a shot.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 23, 2015, 03:15:24 AM »
Double posting because why not, been a month.

I can do the first two layers of the cube pretty easily now, but I can't do the final layer yet without looking on the internet. Far as I am aware, you need to memorize a bunch of algorithms  to get the last layer, of which two of the 4 steps to solving the cube are located. The first step is very very very easy, make a cross. Pick a side, whatever color you want, and make a cross, make sure each part of the cross matches with the adjacent side. So you're solving for blue, one of your side pieces for blue has red on it, so make sure that blue/red piece is on the blue/red side, not the blue/orange side or the blue/white or blue/yellow side, it has to be in that specific spot. Second step is called F2L, which is first two layers. You pretty much put the cross you made on the bottom, and use the now top layer as your workspace. Solve each of the corners on the side you made the cross on, so I solve for blue, now I want each corner, catch is, im also solving for the sides on the middle layer at the same time. So for example, Solving for blue, I have a corner piece for blue, that has blue/white/orange, so I need a side piece that has white/orange. My goal is to get the blue/white/orange piece to match up with the white/orange sidepiece to make an f2l pair, and i do this with the top workspace, while trying to maintain the cross i made in the first step. Work at getting a pair, slide it into place, and do it for all 4 corners, this solves the first two layers.

After that, I don't know, you can do the first two steps on intuition, the other two just requires memorization to my knowledge. Step 3 is called OLL, orient last layer, so when solving for blue, the last layer is green, so you get the green layer all the same (but this in most cases doesn't solve the sides), so with the top done, you need to slide the sides around to finish the puzzle...to step 4, PLL, permutations of the last layer. That step is just remembering algorithms to slide the blocks around in the right spot to finish the puzzle.

For now I am enjoying getting the first two layers done by intuition, whenever I decide to get to it, I'll try to memorize the cases and algorithms I need to actually solve the whole thing without using the internet.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #656 on: September 24, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »
I like how cube solving is a lot like Sudoku. The concept is deceptively simple, but arriving at the actual solution is pretty damn complex.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 05, 2015, 11:50:43 PM »
I don't really have too much money to spend (motherfucking car), so the alcohol expenses had been going down, less craft stouts, more macro stuff. So, i'd prefer to enjoy the cheap macro stuff, bud lite is garbage, rolling rock is garbage, what is there?

Like there's 40's, and I do enjoy them, but sometimes I just don't want a 40, I don't need that much beer to be inside my body most days.

Tried me two things, Icehouse, and Natty Daddy. Both of which sounded horrible, but they were like a dollar each for a 24oz can. Both of em are pretty good, have kind of a malt liquor taste to them, but in a smaller portion. I prefer Icehouse in taste, and it's lower abv is nice at 5.5 to Natty Daddy's 8%, I don't really crave getting drunk, or even a buzz, it's just a nice thing to drink after a workshift to me, like coffee, or an energy drink or something. So I'll probly be buying Icehouse in the future, it's like magnum or old english 800, but you don't need to commit to 40oz of the stuff.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #658 on: November 07, 2015, 10:40:49 PM »
Heh. I had Bud Lite once. That was enough for me.

I've been more into the occasional shot of hard liquor than anything else. Currently working on a massive 1.5L bottle of Jagermeister (it was a hell of a Christmas gift, that's for sure), a bottle of Fireball, a little bottle of Jack Daniels, and a bottle of Southern Comfort. Really just depends on the kind of mood I'm in.

vladgd

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 08, 2015, 01:38:18 AM »
Jaeger is good, but I can't really have liquor around because I'll drink...the...whole bottle...

Bought a bottle of Bacardi Black (don't recommend it, Bacardi ain't good), and because I DONT KNOW WHEN TO STOP, I was a wee bit hungover yesterday.

For christmas though...maybe a little pint bottle of Jaeger or Kraken would be ok...