The Chatterbox > Random Chat

BEER

(1/11) > >>

vladgd:
I DUB THIS TOPIC BEER AND THIS IS MY CART YESTERDAY

THEN I GOT MORE BEER AND FILLED THE FRIDGE

I GOT BEER FROM POLAND RUSSIA GERMANY ENGLAND JAMAICA BELGIUM JAPAN AND PROBABLY MORE

I LOVE HORROCKS IT IS LOVE AND LIFE AND STORE!

THIS IS ME AT HORROCKS DRINKING BEER AND FILLING UP THAT CART, I LOOK HAPPY BECAUSE I AM

/caps

Zephlar:
Jeez dude lol. That's quite the cornucopia of booze.

You're a big stout guy aren't you? Just had one of the best stouts to date this last weekend at a local brewery in Cookeville Tennessee. Red Silo.

Typically stouts have a bitter bite to it but this one didn't at all. I don't mind some mild bitterness but stuff like Lion's Head I just can't stomach anymore.

vladgd:
I used to be, but I think I drink all styles that aren't fruity now a days. In all honesty, excluding fruity beers or standard lagers, I think stouts are on the lower end of the totem pole when it generally comes to bitterness. If it ain't your thing I'd recommend checking out any cream stouts or anything that has something dairy with it, milk, milkshake, cream, whatever, usually on the more chocolatey end of things.

In that cart (picture shown was before I filled it...) I think I may have bought 2? stouts total? I'm a sucker for variety, and while I bought a ton of beer, no two bottles/cans are the same. I'll buy something I've never had over something familiar MOST of the time. MOST of the time because that beer I'm holding is the only beer im getting when I go there.

https://foundersbrewing.com/our-beer/reds-rye-ipa-draft/

DRAFT ONLY, which sucks, because it's literally my favorite beer. Not favorite IPA, not favorite american beer, not "ohh brewed in my homestate FAVORITE" but I mean my tastebuds have not experienced better beer DELICIOUS. You can probably see that big ass jug at the bottom of the cart pic, I NEEDED to fill that sucker up with some of that draft rye ipa.  Dry, bitter, ecstasy.

Bitterness went from a thing that was undesirable to me, but with the way I buy beer (trying new stuff if at all possible) I've eventually acquired a taste for the really piney bitter stuff. If I want sweet or tangy, I got soda, don't need alcohol for that. Hard to get tasty hop bitterness outside of the beer world though.

But really this topic is for me to post about various beers I buy and consume, because at this point, it's almost a hobby to me. It's something I read about, go out of my way to find new stuff, talk to people about, and enjoy. Could probably post about what I had last night, and maybe spark some interest in whatever weird things I find.

So I guess I had 4 over the course of my evening/night, so let's get into it with links and a short opinion/experience

1- Founders Green Zebra

I said I don't like fruity beers, this is a "gose style ale brewed with watermellon and sea salt" so why? Because...because, that's why. I don't like fruity beers but I won't be sad if I find one to change my mind. This beer is fucking weird, soon as your lips touch the drink, you get salt, but as you drink, it's watermellon. I didn't pour it down the drain, and I did finish it. Not sure if I enjoyed it, or was too busy trying to understand what the hell I'm drinking. Not terrible though, would recommend buying a single, but not a 6er.

2- Modelo Negra

Who says I'm limited to crafts? I'm an enthusiast, not a snob. This is one of those amber colored lagers, Michelob has one with it's amberbock, and this doesn't taste too different than that one. Expect more of a caramel flavor, not bitter at all, pretty smooth, not too bad.

3- Spaten Optimator

(note the reviews are biased as all fuck on these websites, hipsters gonna hipst) First german beer of the haul, while on caramel notes from the modelo, this one kicks that up to 10. Not sure if I prefer it to the modelo, but it's definitely got a unique taste to it despite being super heavy on the caramel.

4- Schlitz

If you thought I was a beer hipster, I think this alone would change your mind on that. I've never had this, not very common in my area (besides the 40oz schlitz bull ice which is TERRIBLE), I'd assume more south towards Chicago this stuff is common but I digress. Not sure what to think of it when I started sipping it, had an off taste, cork maybe? But as I was sipping it, I started to appreciate it for being different. It would be easy to do the same damn thing as the lite beer trio (coors miller bud) and this one is distinct enough where I'm confident I could pick it out of a blind tasting easily. I don't know the value for a 6 pack, but I could easily see picking this stuff up to have cheap beer in the fridge. Mind you I'm not saying it's awesome or fantastic, but for what it is, I think it ranks amongst the better american adjunct lagers.

Plus that look, in my mind, screams CHEERS

So that's my blog for now, I think I should work at a brewery or something.

Bobbias:
Ive had modelo negra before and definitely liked it. Nothing special, but certainly drinkable.

vladgd:
Since you are Canadian and I assume have similar availability of Belgian ales, have you had

My first geuze, and I hear it's a good beginner beer for the style. VERY tart, but not in a bad way, funky smell to it, can tell there's some bacterial/yeasty action going on in there, but the more I sipped, the more I came to enjoy it. Even at $10 a bottle, I'll snag another when I can find one.

And for what I'm drinking now, another "craft malt liquor"

I had a founders DKML around a month or so ago and it's abv was so high it made it drink more like a light liquor. This is a bit toned down at 9.5% and you can still taste the alcohol (and has a warm feeling as it goes down), but the taste is really malty and nice. The terms craft and malt liquor don't seem like they'd go together, but I'd recommend trying this one if you aren't offended by an alcohol taste in your beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version