The Chatterbox > Computing

Decided to splurge and get a new gaming PC.

(1/8) > >>

NewF:
My old one was like 4 years old. Time for an upgrade.
Let me know if this was a decent deal and if the parts are good or not!

Processor: 3.40 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core
Board: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) 1.0
16GB Gskill TridentZ RGB series ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Coolermaster Dual fan liquid cooler
500GB SSD. (One of those little tiny ones on the motherboard or whatever. Never seen it before)
2.5TB Sata drives (1x2TB, 1x500GB)
All for $1300. Decent deal or no?
And how are the parts? Good quality/long lasting or what?

Bobbias:
I recently put together a new PC.

Processor: Ryzen 1600 6 Core
Board: Asus B350M Gaming-Plus
16GB Gskill ram (no RGB, but it's running at 3200)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Stock cooling
Same M.2 style SSD (Evo Pro 960 250gb)
Misc old drives from my old laptops (1tb and 650gb, 650 GB is in poor health with plenty of bad sectors)
And an Acer Predator 1440p Gsync 144hz (OC'd to 165hz) monitor.

I paid significantly more than that price. Good find there.

The processor you have is a pretty big step up from what I have, while the GPU is a pretty big step down from what I have.

I can push games like Borderlands 2 at 1440p to 165hz on... high settings, I think (I don't know how high I can actually push it, since it was limited by vsync). I can run Far Cry 5 on High at 55-65 fps roughly. A 1050 Ti would definitely need lower settings to reach playable framerates on most games. The rig you listed is not particularly powerful when it comes to gaming thanks to the overpowered CPU and underpowered GPU. But for anything that requires some good processing power, you have a pretty beefy CPU. I'd say dropping the CPU down a bit and using that money towards a better GPU would have gotten you some performance in games, but if you're not planning on gaming too hard, and you want the beefier CPU for other workloads then this is good.

NewF:
Fuck! I thought the 1050TI was way better than that! :-/

Bobbias:
I can't say exactly how well it will do. I'm not overly familiar with these cards because I spent the last like 10 years on laptops, so it may do better than I'm giving it credit for. I nearly went with a 1060 instead of 1070, but the 1070 I found was a decent price, so I figured why not.

But yeah your CPU is pretty damn good. I cheaped out on my CPU because I was impatient and didn't want to wait even longer to build the thing, and I figured I could always upgrade later. I don't know if it's gonna be a bottleneck for my system or not. Haven't really tested everything that much.

I'd be interested in what spectere thinks since he's more knowledgeable than I am on this stuff. I might be slightly off on my assessment of things.

NewF:
Also, what would you suggest for a new monitor? I wanna get one of those 144hz or whatever they are, I hear they are amazing. Just dunno which one I should get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version