The Chatterbox > Computing

Getting something to compute with

<< < (3/6) > >>

vladgd:
Point made. One of those things I only build a PC every 5-6 years, so I want the fucker to last. I know I've bought parts that a lot of people sketch on, and I have no issues, and vice versa.

No idea what I'm looking for so ill try and get the case, CPU, Mobo, heat sink ordered on my time off. No rush to get this thing made besides classic wow and programming anyway.

Spectere:
Just don't do what I did with my current build. I figured I'd build my rig in pieces, so I ordered the PSU and...well, it just sort of sat in my basement for about eight months. :P

vladgd:
650 watt psu good enough or do I need more? Used to buy a psu based on GPU needs, but I honestly don't know all that much about this stuff.

Spectere:
Yep, 650W will be fine for what we specced out and will give you a bit of wiggle room if you want to upgrade down the road. More than anything else, make sure that it's from a decent manufacturer. That alone could save you plenty of heartache down the road.

To elaborate on that a bit: I had a power supply failure a few years ago (on raid night, too...go figure). Pressed the power button, fans started to spin up, then the system immediately shut down. The power supply had worn out to the point where it couldn't fire up the system and shut down to protect the components.

In addition to simply not being capable of holding consistent voltages, cheaper power supplies tend to lack protection circuitry. If they wear out they'll still try to provide the same amount of power. As a result they'll overheat and ultimately suffer catastrophic failure and, nine times out of ten, take something else with them. I saw one system where a cheap PSU suffered this kind of failure and pushed mains power to a hard drive. Not only did it blow out several chips but it got the HDD hot enough to melt the Molex connector into the slot.

tl;dr 650W is fine, just make sure it's not a cheap PSU. Corsair is a great choice.

vladgd:
With my games finished, I kinda wanna get this thing built within the month.

I did snag a 650w corsair PSU, samsung 500gig ssd, and some thermal paste. Intending to use stock heat sink for the ryzen since I ain't going to OC, and all of the feedback confirms it's a good heatsink for running that thing at stock settings. Only issue is it has pre applied paste, so I read you can clean it off with some iso alcohol, so I got some of that, but haven't put the time into actually removing it yet. Will get done before I install.

Things I'm missing.

HDD, going to nab a WD black 1tb, shouldn't be an issue
Multi card reader, don't need one, but would be nice to have.  Link
Optical Media Drive, thinking of gutting the dvd drive off my current machine, or getting a shiny new blu ray, undecided yet
Ram, could take the 16 gigs from my current machine, buy new ram? or get 32 gigs which could be stupid overkill, not sure
GPU, pretty lost on this one, under $300 would be nice unless I can see reason to spend more, in that case under $400 might be doable
OS, I just buy win10 from amazon and its easy peazy? or is there a better way? I see some for $85, and some for $100, but they say the same win10 home OEM. I don't quite understand. Should a user like myself even consider pro?

Givin my energy and motivation (tired physically from work and being ill) I would like to nail all of this down and have it ordered within the week. Kinda have the hankerin to play final fantasy 14 for some reason...and It may take some doing to figure out a good physical setup for my living room after this machine is built, requiring more time and $$$, so I aughta get this fucker built already.

Input for the uneducated plz :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version