The Chatterbox > Computing

Getting something to compute with

<< < (5/6) > >>

Bobbias:
Nice stuff, other than the shit breaking part anyway.

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup TBH.

Spectere:

--- Quote from: vladgd on July 02, 2019, 10:08:27 PM ---Some games in other resolutions straight up break my pc, AND monitor. Diablo III did this, but the geforce thing autoset it to 4k for some reason and it fixed it somehow. Street fighter 4 did the same thing, only I havent figured out how to fix it yet. Literally breaks everything, my monitor goes black, and CANT POWER OFF, I literally have to unplug the monitor and re plug it back in, and it persists after a system restart. The game works, but as soon as I try to change the resolution TO 1080p, breaks, and the same thing happens if I alt tab, breaks.

--- End quote ---

That's really weird. I've had one of my monitors at work (a Dell P2214H) "crash" like that before, but it's always really rare and really inconsistent. It might be a dud.

--- Quote from: vladgd on July 02, 2019, 10:08:27 PM ---Only played about an hour to test it, but im very pleased with DOOM. AND THE BEST PART IS PLAYING ON A RECLINER, even with my ghetto ass keyboard in my lap, mouse on the armrest setup, pretty comfortable.

--- End quote ---

I'm planning to move my PC into an office for functional purposes, but after I do that I know I'm going to miss the recliner bit. I might hook my Steam Link up to my TV just so that I can can still do that (Steam in-home streaming is very good—I played Saint's Row 4 in its entirety using it). And yeah, my run of DOOM 2016 was done with an UHDTV, lights off, and my sound system cranked. Metal as fuck. I plan to do the same thing with Eternal when it comes out.

I've also found that the recliner setup works well for Elite: Dangerous. I designed a HOTAS mount for my recliner, so whenever I decide to play that I get my X56 set up, strap on the Rift, and set up my recliner to roughly the same angle that the in-game pilot does. It ends up being pretty immersive.

--- Quote from: vladgd on July 02, 2019, 10:08:27 PM ---And figured out my password here so actually have the luxury of typing on a real ass keyboard over some stupid mobile device.

--- End quote ---

I mean, technically you can hook a USB/Bluetooth keyboard up to a phone. I'm sure that would be a great experience. ;)

--- Quote from: vladgd on July 02, 2019, 10:08:27 PM ---Besides a few annoying issues, and not being used to being on a computer at all anymore, I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. Not to mention my typing speed hasn't seem to degrade at all, save for my fingers getting tired, but that'll go away with time.

--- End quote ---

Glad to hear it! ;D

vladgd:
I'm in monitor hell now. Currently using an old 24inch asus 60hz 1080p thing. IT WORKS FINE, but im a bit too far away from my monitor, and, reading text is challenging, including games ive been playing not called DOOM (DOOM is perfectly fine from any range because DOOM IS FANTASTIC).

So, my specs. ryzen 2700, rtx 2060, 32 gigs ram

I want a 32 inch monitor, because I'm not sure if 27 inches would be big enough from this far away. I'm about  ~6 feet away from my monitor, and in my opinion, it's a bit too close for my 42 inch tv, but I'd wager a 32 inch monitor would be fine.

Problem is now all the kids want high refresh rates ALONG WITH low latency and the newer resolutions, and I found out that the difference between a 60hz and 144hz monitor same size same resoulution, typically over $100-150 more. And it doesnt make matters any easier with curved displays (which I could probably deal with if I got a good deal, but I don't want a curved display) and dead pixels and whatever other wonkey problems  displays get, it's making clicking the buy button scarey. Those dead pixel scares aren't just "ohh it'll never happen to me" because it's happened to me. First new monitor I got in my life, half the entire monitor dead pixels, second one (a samsung) few dead pixels that were annoying to deal with, third one (another samsung...) bad capacitor and I didn't have the soldering skills to repair it (easy fix, if you are half compitent with soldering, of which i wasnt, and still am not, i'll learn some day), and this asus monitor which is perfectly fine, albeit with edge glow and some blurry text, both of which I am more than used to.

tl;dr, mandatory need 32inch, 144hz (i wanna see what the fuss is about, but if i drop it...could save a lot of money), optional but desired 1440p, and a pricepoint of at least under $330 (cheapest I've found em)

Found if I sacrifice 1440p, I really only save like $30-40 depending on brand, but if I sacrifice 144hz in favor of 60 or 75, I could get a $200 monitor. It's tough, I don't really know what to go with at this point, but I want one soon, because my eyes strain reading text at this range, and I cant get closer because, #reclinerpc

Spectere:
With monitors you generally get what you pay for, unfortunately, whether it's viewing angles, color rendition, the inclusion of adaptive sync (FreeSync/G-Sync, i.e. the ability to natively render at, say, 99hz on a 144hz panel and still maintain sync, instead of dropping to 72hz with vsync or putting up with tearing), warranty, and/or pixel transition time (not necessarily refresh rate--you can have a display that can technically do 144hz but the pixels can't go from white to black in the requisite ~7ms).

I did find an LG at the $350 price point that hits all of the points (32"—31.5" viewable, lol—1440p, 144hz, no curve) and also includes FreeSync support: LG 32GK650F-B

As far as 60hz vs 144hz, it definitely makes a difference. Weird as it may sound, whenever I get in the mood to play Super Hexagon I play it exclusively on my iPad Pro because playing it on its 120hz display is legitimately a superior experience to playing it on any of my PCs. Even silly things like mouse pointer movements feel downright sluggish when you go from 144hz to 60hz.

Bobbias:
Yeah, I'll second the high refresh rate making a difference. I'm running 1440p 144hz (actually, I've got it OC'd to 165) and everything is just smooth as butter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version