The Chatterbox > Random Chat

Weight Loss

<< < (3/6) > >>

Spectere:
Nice! As far as the price goes, there are some cases where quality costs money. I think it's safe to say that bikes are one of those cases, given my experience with both cheap and mid-range cycles.

And yeah, if I wanted to transport a bike inside of a vehicle I wouldn't pick anything smaller than an SUV, haha. I ended up stuffing a bike into the back of my old Saturn SW2 and it barely fit. Roof rack, trailer hitch mount, or bust if you have a station wagon or hatchback, that's for certain.

vladgd:

Yeah the SUV is JUST big enough to fit the bike...it's a big ass bike, I'm 6'1", not a giant, but large enough to require an XL size bike. My dad (5'10") said he couldn't even get on the damn thing.

That aside, I've lived in this damn town 30 years and never knew this creek existed. WEIRDO DEVIANT ACTING LIKE A NORMIE?! More likely than you think.

Zephlar:
How has the bike been working out? I'm thinking about doing the same now I see a lot of cyclists in my area. Couldn't tell you last time I got on a bike but it seems like a more fun way to get the exercise I need.

vladgd:
Actually, surprisingly, really well. Tons better than the stationary, only real issue is bugs getting in my face/hair. I think so far I've put over...60+ miles on the thing, maybe more. Wanted to go more on my weekend, but only put about 5 miles due to rain...all..weekend...

That said, going 10 miles on a bike is easier than jogging a mile, so I'm learning more about the advantages of a bike over running that's for sure. Farthest I've gone in one trip so far was about 19 miles, next goal is the next town past that point which would be a 23 mile round trip.

It's fun though, pretty chill and relaxing, while being good cardio. I am usually riding at a "fast" pace for my current fitness, it's not a slow steady ride...as the seat hurts my ass and its less painful to GO FAST LIKE SANIC than it is to be a turtle, which is good since I'm doing cardio not relax sleepy time cycling. But if I get tired, I do rest for a minute or two, and it's usually good enough to refresh my legs for another few miles. Doing quick math, I determined I do roughly 14.5miles/hour, which is alright for a beginner, but kinda slow for a real bike rider. Good to get numbers because I can track progress as my fitness gets better.

Current routine is work 9am-7pm, get out to the trail (2-3 minute drive from work), get the bike out, and go out 3.5 miles and back, for a 7 mile round trip, takes me 30 minutes in total. That was last week, this week I wanted more miles, so today I went out 5.5 miles, for an 11 mile round trip, and that took about 45 minutes, which I think is plenty fine enough for an after work ride. So assuming I go every day after work, that's 55 miles from work days alone. Longer rides on weekends (assuming good weather, I've been getting rained on the last two weekends) because I have the time. But it's cool, at least as of now, I actually look forward to it after work, and that's probably the most important thing to find in exercise, something you actually enjoy. YMMV of course, don't blow $1500 on a bike on a whim like I did(even tho its a great bike), go for something a bit less insane incase you aren't into it. It's 1000 times more enjoyable than jogging, and a lot more accessible than swimming, way more effective cardio than walking, give it a shot.

Spectere:
I think it's safe to say that I shed all of that pesky water weight and pissed away all of that excess sodium. I've been less thirsty lately and shed around 20 pounds (~9kg) (!!) in about a month while maintaining an average daily calorie intake of ~1300-1500. Yeah, I miiiiiight have had a pretty high sodium diet before I started this. Within the last week I ended up dropping a far more reasonable 2 pounds (0.9kg) without really changing anything, which is a pretty healthy pace from what I've read.

I've also been drinking far less soda, and have largely switched from regularly drinking Monster to plain ol' coffee and tea. I'm sure that's helped quite a bit as well.

So far, I went from 282 lbs (~128kg) to 261.8 lbs (~119kg). Not bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version