The Chatterbox > Gaming

Racing Sims

(1/5) > >>

vladgd:
So I was hoping I wouldn't make this thread, but my random spark of interest in trying a racing sim HAPPENS to be a few weeks before GRAN TURISMO 7 came out, and Gran Turismo isn't a series to make new games very often.

It's the first time in my life where I am interested "enough" in racing to actually have fun. So I bought it on ps4 because the benefits of ps5 didn't outweigh...not playing the game at all because nobody can buy ps5's right now. Besides loading into a race(quite a long load time, but not long enough to be ridiculous), the game runs pretty good and looks outstanding (I mean pretty much ALL car games look good...but..still...) so I don't think ps5 is mandatory.

I've only played like 8 hours (there's another...release I am playing that came out the same day...) and I've never had this much fun with a sim racer before. No real experience with sim racing outside of...sega gt on the original xbox if that counts? I can't even really say it's good as much as what I once thought to be boring, is now interesting. So don't use me as a source to gauge how much better GT7 is compared to the competition, no idea.

Two things of note though.

What I remember of sim racing styled games, they are fucking hard. They ain't jam the accelerator and win. Seeing people talk about the difficulty of GT7 as "fair to easy" and when I try some of the stuff they call easy, and can't even see second place as remotely attainable...there is a learning curve. This is not a problem, but with no legacy skill, it'll be a while before I am comfortable.

Which brings me to...racing wheels...ps4 controller is fine but...yknow...what if I had...THIS!

Yeah...I really want a proper wheel, but...dropping a grand to play pretend racecar at home? OHH BOY. There's also other games that would be fun with the wheel, I hear assetto corsa is good, I got some game called snowrunners that would look fun with a wheel, dirt rally...there's a lot of games that would be great on a wheel. To convince my girlfriend my unemployed ass is gonna build a sim rig...might not be possible even though I have the dough.

I do recall you mister spectere talking up one of the old forza games (3, 4?) back in the day, you still into the vroom vroom game? I did think about GT vs Forza, and consensus among the sim people is GT is more authentic, and I have a ps4, so that kinda solved that.

Spectere:
Oh hey, interesting timing. I ended up getting my dad a Logitech G923 for his birthday this year. It's less than half the cost of the Fanatic one, including a shifter (and the G920 is even cheaper, though it didn't seem to be all that widely available). Might be worth looking into! I played some DiRT Rally with it and it is pretty goddamn solid. He ended up buying a mount for it as well (not one of the fancy rigs with a monitor stand and seat, but a standalone one he could plop in front of his PC), which makes everything a lot more stable.

And yeah, I still get into the vroom vroom once in a while! Since I got my Series X I've been playing Forza Horizon 5 off and on (though it is worth noting that the Microsoft Store PC versions of them are very solid—I played quite a bit of Forza Horizon 4 on PC), and I'm eagerly awaiting Forza Motorsport 8. I might actually pick up GT7 just so that I have something to play on the ol' PS4, especially since you mentioned that it still plays well.

IMO, Forza and Gran Turismo have similar levels of accuracy in varying ways (Forza seems to focus on tire physics while GT seems to focus more on the car itself), but I'd say that Forza is generally more accessible while GT leans toward being a more serious driving experience. Both titles are considered intermediate sims by people in the sim community, with Assetto Corsa (and other high-end sims) being a pretty big step over them. It's also worth noting that Forza Horizon takes some pretty serious liberties with realism (I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that you can drive and steer while off-roading at 200 km/h), so that strays pretty far from the mainline series. Fun games, though.

Dammit, this is making me want to buy my own wheel. Argh. y u gotta du dis 2 me mr vlad

vladgd:
I'm gonna have to chime in again about GT7. Since it's a "live service game" any given patch can just fuck the game up, and they did just that. I was interested with forza 4, but not enough to take the plunge and difficulty scared me away. Again with whatever forza was first on xbox one, but heard how dirty the micro transactions were, same with gt6, so I noped out of both of em.

GT7 had a few races you could do for money, and the rest of the game gave you practically nothing, now the few races you could use are nerfed to not being worth doing.

If they don't adjust credits earned across the board, I'd pass on this title.

It's a blast to play, the cars feel great, but...$60 ps4 $70 ps5 game with a "f2p" feeling business model is unacceptable.

There is A LOT of cars in the 700,000+ range, most seem to be around 1 million credits.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000956

$20 for 2 million...and it took about an hour to earn a million with the old method if you were good, longer if you werent. Now, what, 5+ hours to earn a million? I got my moneys worth out the game, but I wanted to play more, now I just feel like I gotta stop.

Still want a wheel doe, to play Snowrunner on pc, but my desktop setup isn't here, and my laptop setup is just couch, so not a great environment for a wheel right now.

Maybe down the road, the seeds have been planted. However stay away from GT7 unless they balance the credits issue. It's just sad to see a game that IS REALLY REALLY GOOD AND REALLY REALLY FUN be tarnished by corporate greed. I know videogames companies are making videogames to make money, but like, iunno, that's why I paid 60 fuckin dollars to play the game. Am I being entitled?

Spectere:
Heh yeah, I heard about GT7's recent outage. Their excuses for their service model are shockingly close to the excuses Blizzard used for Diablo III on release, which is weirdly fitting.

Thanks for the heads up about the credits nerf. I hadn't heard about that little mess, and making a somewhat grindy game even grindier just reeks of trying to profit from MTX. It really sucks that they felt the need to do that. The worst part is that they could have easily sold car and track expansion packs (you know, providing tangible, à la carte, and undeniably optional content) instead of taking the bullshit Shark Cards approach.

You know what's funny? It sounds like they nerfed the credit gain to be at roughly the same level as the older games (bear in mind that the last one I played heavily was GT4). It sounds like the car prices are out of fucking control, though. I mean, there are some expensive cars in the older games, but I think the median point was somewhere around 100-200k? I dunno. It's been a while.

Goddamn, Snowrunner looks sick. Might have to pick that up for my pops, drive to his place, and commandeer his computer and wheel (it's my old PC, and the wheel was a birthday gift, so it's all technically mine, right?). :P

From what I can gather, Turn 10 did eventually stop putting in predatory microtransactions in the Forza games. I ended up dropping FM5 because it was so in-your-face that it was kind of gross, but apparently FM7 is MTX-free. I can also confirm that FH5 does not have microtransactions, just the traditional car/track expansions. If GT7 doesn't straighten up it looks like I might just hold off for FM8. It helps that I'll probably be able to just snag it on GamePass, so if they did decide to revert to their past shittiness I can just uninstall it and forget that it exists.

vladgd:
It's a shame really. GT7 is a fantastic game otherwise. One of those things where it's not "DO NOT BUY" but rather "wait for them to "hopefully" re-balance the game to a reasonable state". Not asking for riches here, but like...

That's what, 12 million earned across 48 hours?

There's two cars in the legendary car market (can only buy for a limited amount of time), that cost 18 million...EACH. They expect people to play over 100 hours within a week to buy two cars? No thanks!

Easy fix would just be to have a flat credits earned/minute raced across all races, then you could play whatever you want. With race car restrictions it would promote tuning different cars to use on different races...yknow, the thing I thought Gran Turismo was in the first place.

The internet is throwing a huge baby fit over it, so maybe something gets done in the next few patches? Time will tell I suppose. At this rate I've heard so much good things about Gran Turismo 4 that I kind of want to play that...and yknow...I mighta bought it(it's cheaper than lunch, easy impulse buy)...but it probably plays better on emulator with analogue break/accelleration...

On snowrunner, I reading steam reviews before I bought it...around time I was addicted to death stranding. (check out death stranding it's really good and original)

Pretty much immediately bought it at that point. HAVE YET TO PLAY IT THOUGH...maybe soonish, but I'll have to suffice with mouse/keyboard for now.

*edit*

Booted up Snowrunner for a trial run, played about an hour. It is pretty neat, controls fine on mouse/keyboard, but doesn't feel like a "sim" game, so unsure how getting it working on a proper wheel would go. I do see the Death Stranding comparison though, just getting from point A to B seems to be what the game is all about. Will definitely have to put more time into the game later, but works on my laptop just fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version