The Chatterbox > Computing

Laptops, which company is better?

(1/4) > >>

Bobbias:
I know it's kinda a hard question, and on larger sites it may well turn into a flamewar, but I'd like your answers on the subject. My girlfriend and I want to know a bit more about the different companies that make laptops and what their track records are, because by the looks of things, the next one she buys won't be dell. (She's not very happy with their tech support, and there have been quite a few issues with the hardware in her laptop.)

As far as her issues go, here's a quick list:
Hard drive was loose and always seemed to be jiggling out and causing issues and such. (It's been fixed, last I heard, but it was a rather long running issue, and even the stuff tech support told her to do didn't fix it, I'm not sure how it was fixed.)
The ethernet port doesn't keep a good connection, and since her cord is missing the springy piece of plastic that locks it in, she has to wrap it around the screen to keep it at the right angle to make a connection, and it still disconnects a lot.
Her power cord is broken, but dell won't replace it. The want her to buy another one. Their credit card is at it's limit, so they can't afford to right now, so even if they have enough money on them, they can't buy it because she needs a credit card.

Plus, re-installing the dell hardware drivers is a gigantic pain in the ass. Their site is nearly impossible to navigate. At least their forums are nice.

In any case, what other companies should we look into and what are the general impressions you have of them. (I'm also interested personally, because I don't know much about the companies that make laptops, since I've never owned a laptop. I may yet need one, or buy one, at some point, so this would be as good a time as any to learn.)

Spectere:
I've used several Dell laptops (I dealt with a TON of them at last job, and my laptop is an Inspiron 9300) and haven't had any problems with them (the battery being completely dead on mine, but (1) it's two years old and (2) I was kind of ignorant on what's good for Li-Ion batteries at the time).  I really haven't had a problem navigating their site.  Really, all you have to do is pick the model or enter the service tag and it lists everything.  They've even improved the way the drivers are listed.  It's far better than hp/Compaq, for one (with hp/Compaq's site you're lucky if it even brings up the right model due to the forced search system).

Also, the Ethernet "port" issue is the cable -- of course if you have a busted prong it's going to have a hard time staying in a laptop.  That's like blaming 3Com or Asus because I tried to use a bad cable in the onboard Ethernet port on my system a couple of months ago.  Just reterminate it or swap for a different one.

How exactly did the power cord break on it?  If it was from something that could be considered abuse, no company would have replaced it for free.  If it just died and the system is still under warranty (emphasis on the latter), make sure to tell them that.

The thing with any laptop is that you shouldn't get the base model.  This is true with Gateway, Acer, Dell, Compaq, everyone.  Always aim for mid-range or better or you will pay for it in the long run.  I know a bunch of people with cheap Compaqs (including myself a few years ago) that really regretted it.  The only problems I've had with my Dell were all the fault of ATI's drivers (and I can't blame Dell for me not picking the nVidia GPU).  I also forgot to specify that I wanted recovery discs and contacted technical support about them.  They shipped them to me overnight, free of charge.  I was also pleased to find out that Dell gives out actual operating system CDs, even at the time I ordered it.  Most companies then only shipped DVDs with the recovery image on them.

So, long story short, mid-range or better, always.  The systems are always better constructed and have higher-quality parts.  Despite the issues that your girlfriend had (at least one of which isn't an issue with the system) I still recommend Dell.  I've used hundreds of their systems between school, work, and home, and have yet to have any major issues with them.

Bobbias:
You know those piece of hard plastic at the end of the cord that are there to protect the cord from being bent too hard in the wrong direction:

Generic image, not the same type...

Well, it got bent too hard and you could see the the wires separated from the connector just behind that piece of plastic. I don't know if it is still under warranty or not.

Also, I should point out that on my computer, I could have a broken ethernet cord like that plugged into the back of my computer and it would be perfectly fine. The issue is that the port is a little too big. A normal cord would fit fine, but would have a bit more free space around it than most other ethernet ports I've known.

Also, the hard drive issue was VERY annoying, because nobody at dell seemed to have any idea how to help, and even sending it back to them to get a new hard drive didn't work, if I remember correctly.

cristian989:
I've had a toshiba laptop for about 4 1/2 years now. I've only had two problems: the screen died out (which was covered under my extended warrantee) and the keyboard needed to be replaced.

I plan on either getting a new laptop soon, or building my own PC. Either way, if I go for the laptop, it will either be another toshiba or a panasonic toughbook.

Bobbias:
My dad has a toshiba laptop that's pretty damn old too. I don't remember a single problem he had, but my girlfriend doesn't want toshiba... She thinks that they overheat too easily.. (ironic, since a dell exploded...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version