Author Topic: watcha playin'  (Read 590174 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: watcha playin'
« Reply #1635 on: May 15, 2011, 02:59:20 AM »
It's not that bad, as long as you play smart and are always prepared (going into fights with 10 potions, 10 mega potions, and 10 honey is recommended. I usually do that + 10 blue mushrooms and herbs).

Also this is endlessly helpful.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Wiki

I'd take some special notice to the weapon trees.

Oh, and watch out for Gigginox, he's the most annoying monster in the game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:53:50 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1636 on: May 15, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »
Ah, gotcha.  I've been taking care to look at the monster in question and look over its defenses (large, heavy bone on tail, long neck, large...probably want to stay by their flank), which seems to be helpful.  The little creatures are pretty annoying, but I have a feeling that's not going to be a problem.

Thanks for the wiki link.  I've been particularly curious about the weapons.  I'll probably only look at that if I'm really lost and desperate, though.  I like trying to figure things out on my own, for better or for worse.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: June 03, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
A lot to talk about.

So far I'm at the start of chapter 2 in the Witcher 2, and the game seems to have really opened up. I struggled playing the game on hard, but I'm really loving it. The combat is just loads of fun so far, I can sort of see it being comparable to Arkham Asylum (really need to finish that game, was afraid of frying my card playing it but that's clearly not going to be a problem now), but there's just so much more to it then just that. Planning, prepping, laying traps, tossing bombs, picking off the weaker enemies, knowing when to strike hard.

So yeah, I'm rather impressed with it. The opening was surprisingly epic (in a literal sense, you storm a castle and run from a dragon. Plus the kings speech of "What do you fucking want?" to have the knights reply "victory!" made me happy) and Chapter 2 felt rather good despite being a bit small. The ending was really goddamn depressing, and came out of nowhere, but I really enjoyed it. I also like how everyone seems to have a good and a bad side (most humans hate dwarves and elves, and the elves fighting for freedom are all basically terrorists who kill civilians left and right). The amount of side missions so far seems awesome, when in a new area I'm able to just explore and find shit to do, which most games can't seem to pull off.

Oh, and I played some of the DLC missions in L.A. Noir. The game seems to be a load of fun and nothing like GTA. The characters all seem fairly well fleshed out, and the whole "reading a suspect" really requires you to pay attention to what you're doing (a suspect claimed she didn't know a guy and referred to him by his full name when I only gave her his first). Also trying to kill people makes the game laughably fun. I ran over my partner 3 times and had him roll under my giant truck, then my friend pinned him next to a car and he died instantly. We both broke out laughing hard.

Welp, beat GTA3, was really underwhelmed but it was an okay game.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:21:47 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1638 on: June 14, 2011, 04:07:31 AM »
Duke Nukem Forever.

It's fun.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1639 on: June 20, 2011, 12:23:20 AM »
What do you actually think of it? One of my friends owns it, and another rented it, and they both think the game is terrible, which seems to be the prevailing sentiment in general...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1640 on: June 20, 2011, 01:33:52 AM »
The game certainly isn't terrible.  I think most people are overreacting just because the game has had a long and troubled development period and they were simply expecting more.

That being said, it's certainly not great.  There were some parts that I enjoyed and some parts that make me want to scream.  It sort of seems like half of the game was designed with regenerating health in mind while the other half of the game was developed around an old school medikit system.  There's many parts that you can tell were ripped straight out of 2001 and other parts that are decisively more modern.

The middle segment of the game is probably the best and most solid segment and feels like the most modern.  The rest of it is hard to place.  Also, it has physics puzzles.  That's the last thing I'd picture a Duke game having.

The weapons are, by and large, underwhelming.  It has many of the Duke Nukem 3D staples -- such as the Devastator, Ripper, Freeze Ray, and Shrink Gun -- but thanks to the harsh ammo restrictions and the ability to only hold two weapons, I find myself switching between the pistol, shotgun, and ripper throughout most of the game, since they hold the most ammo and generally do the most damage.

Boss fights are hit and miss.  Some of the bosses -- such as the Battlelord -- were clearly designed around the player having a personal arsenal.  You see, bosses in DNF require you to hit them with either turrets or explosives.  Turrets are fine, since the worst thing that can happen is that they'll overheat.  That being said, you typically have to dispatch bosses with an RPG.  An RPG that holds five rounds, that you have to repeatedly refill in the middle of a boss fight.  It works fine in the levels during that golden middle segment, but outside of that?  Well, imagine facing a Cyberdemon in Doom.  Picture that your rocket launcher only holds five rounds.  Now imagine getting off five shots, then having to run to one or two points to restock on ammo.  Now envision the Cyberdemon busting out a hitscan weapon that does a fuckload of damage if you stay out of cover for too long ("too long" being mere seconds).  If it doesn't sound pleasant, that's because it isn't.

Duke also doesn't talk enough.  For a character that's so beloved and developed, he stays silent a lot.  He pretty much gets bitched at by the president for his antics in DN3D for the entire game and doesn't respond once.  He doesn't interact with the other NPCs too much at all, only with the player.  It just makes him seem strangely detached from the world.  With the gameplay style that 3D Realms and Triptych decided upon, it's almost like playing a Halo knockoff with a Duke Nukem voiceover.

There are some parts that really bring you into the Duke Nukem 3D mindset.  The intro and beginning level are very Duke.  The strip club is another section that just screams that this is a Duke Nukem game.  High levels of interactivity, plenty of one-liners, and chock full of ego.  It's a shame that they stuffed everything that is Duke into a few levels and didn't spread it out over the course of the game.  Throughout the majority of the game, the only thing that really reminds you that you're playing a Duke Nukem game is the occasional one-liner.

Overall, I thought it was average.  Some people are really, really overreacting (some people actually think that DNF is worse than Daikatana.  I mean...what?!) and a smaller group are really underreacting (PC Gamer US's overwhelmingly positive review certainly is not deserved).  It's a Halo clone starring Duke Nukem.

That being said, the released product is still 3D Realm's game.  Now that Gearbox owns Duke, I'm curious to see what, if any, future titles are in the pipeline.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1641 on: June 20, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
Nice, I was hoping to hear that sort of a response, lol. I was not expecting the game to be fantastic by any means, but I was also not expecting it to be the trash that a lot of people are making it out to be, so this is roughly what I was expecting, and hoping, for.

I'd definitely love to see gearbox get together and make another DN game. I have a feeling that if they were to start working on another it'd probably end up being a lot better than Forever, because of all the development issues and such. I mean, when your picking up a half-finished project that's had so much work by so many different people at different times, it just becomes a complete mess, but starting a completely new project would give them a chance to really revitalize the franchise... And I honestly think that Duke would definitely fit in with all the people who are too young to have played the older games, as long as he's presented in a game that doesn't end up only appealing to old Duke fans like us... As far as the actual character is designed, he was kinda ahead of his time.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: June 20, 2011, 04:57:14 PM »
That...sounds like the best review I've heard of Douk yet. Not a bad game, but not up to snuff with stuff like DN3D.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1643 on: June 21, 2011, 12:53:02 AM »
I'd definitely love to see gearbox get together and make another DN game. I have a feeling that if they were to start working on another it'd probably end up being a lot better than Forever, because of all the development issues and such.

I'm sure it's going to happen.  I don't think Randy Pitchford is done with Duke just yet.

And yeah, if the followup is actually designed (not grown, like DNF was under Broussard's leadership), it should still prove to be a good game.  Gearbox has quite a few talented developers under its belt.

That...sounds like the best review I've heard of Douk yet.

Ego stroke!

Not a bad game, but not up to snuff with stuff like DN3D.

Yep.  I enjoyed DNF for the most part, but I didn't expect anything more out of it than I would have expected out of any other game.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 08, 2011, 12:35:43 AM »
Got Street Fighter AE from a friend and I've been loving it. I've been sticking with Adon, Makoto, and Abel (doing really good with Abel, anyone throwing too much plasma gets tossed by me).

I actually feel a little bad for buying a Capcom game, considering how they sort of fucked up AE and are all around just fucking everything they own up.

http://kaonazhie.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/why-street-fighter-sucks/

never mind I'm done.

Also this

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fun/gaming/3681414/Games-for-gratis.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:36:50 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1645 on: July 11, 2011, 06:34:09 AM »
That guy has no concept of how pro playing really works... Or why people continue to play fighting games with hard-as-balls controls and only 2 dimensions of movement... Or the fact that nobody gives a shit that "fighting" games are a weak-as-fuck simulation of real world fighting....

I call bullshit on somemost of what he says there... But he gets one point dead on (the point about balance... SF is NOT fucking balanced, period. When one character is expected to win 70% or whatever of their matches against an opponent of equal skill based on matchup, there's a relatively large problem. SF fanboys are just too blind to see it.)

The whole 3D is always better angle is just dumb. Adding the third dimension does give you more options, it doesn't automatically make the game better. I've played plenty of fighting games I really wished had been kept to 2D instead. The Guilty Gear games, as well as BlazBlue add other dimensions of gameplay (roman cancel, bursts, etc. etc. etc.) without having 3 dimensions of movement (because that's really all the third dimension is, it doesn't usually play into your attacks anyway)... Also, having meters/special attacks adds another dimension of gameplay that he seems to gloss over as unimportant...

His point about strategies may be somewhat right as far as SF goes... I don't know THAT much about the SF pro scene, or high level pla to really comment there, but I know in many other 2D fighters, there isn't just some set in scene strategy to auto-win (probably because characters are generally more balanced in other games.....)

All in all, I think that guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, but still manages to stumble on a good point about balance in SF in the process of making himself look like a complete dumbass.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »
The guy has no remote clue what he's talking about, he's just as bad as the people who assume fighting games are button mashers. The strategies part is dead wrong, you cannot use the same strategy against Dahlsim as you can Zangeif. Hell, even after a few rounds you'll see and be able to exploit holes in peoples strategies , it's part of what makes it fun.

Also just beat the Witcher 2, my god that was amazing. Probably will replay just to see what else I can do differently, I'm assuming a new game will be released so I need to find a way of keeping my final save safe.

but yeah, some of the best writing I've ever seen in a game, shit was amazing. Had a few issues, but nothing close enough for me to not love it. Probably my Goty honestly.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1647 on: July 12, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »
The only point I think he hit on was the balance issue... The tiers in SF are kinda ridiculous.

Downloading The Witcher Enhanced right now... No idea if 2 will run on this laptop, but if I somehow finish the original, I'll move on to 2.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 12, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »
SF4 is okay in terms of balance, but yeah, Capcom has always been meh at balancing their games. At least it's not as bad as MvC3/MvC2.

Also the Witcher is a fun game, but I hated it when I first tried it. As soon as you get to chapter 2 make sure you get comfortable with the map and the quest log (MOST quests allow you to follow them on the map given the option).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1649 on: July 13, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
Definitely been using the map already, and I'm still in chapter 1.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x