Author Topic: Obsidian - My Linux Distro  (Read 4117 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Obsidian - My Linux Distro
« on: June 20, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »
I've been hammering a Linux distro together for the past few months and, prior to building the package manager, decided to toss up a blog.

Here be link: http://obsidian.spectere.net/wordpress/

Perhaps one of yous guys will find it interesting.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Re: Obsidian - My Linux Distro
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »
Whoa. I don't know much about Linux, but your own distribution? SHIT SON that's awesome :D Cool name, too.

What exactly entails creating your own Linux distro, and how is it different than others and whatnot?
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:25:41 AM »
Thanks. :D

Basically, what you have to do is compile all of the core utilities from within another Linux system.  Basically, you need to make sure that you have the core libraries (glibc), the userspace utilities (coreutils) so you can navigate directories and manipulate files.  After you manage to get a "functional" system together, you have to build all of the utilities necessary to build packages from source without relying on the base system.

That's pretty much where I am now.  My objective now is to build a package manager to build and install package automatically, taking most of the drudge work out of maintaining the system.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 03:37:45 AM »
I totally didn't get any of that, but it sounds really intense.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 03:39:02 AM »
Haha, it is. :P

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »
Holy crap. I guess this is going forward because you actually have free time now?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 12:54:31 PM »
Sorta.

Work's been unsteady as ever, but this lull that I've had in the past week has given me a lot of time to think about what needs to be done with the project.

I've had the system in a bootable state (as in, I can boot a Linux kernel using GRUB, get to bash, and work on the system) for quite some time, but it's still in a very bare state.  I have any sort of init in place yet.  I have upstart built and ready to go as of a few days ago, I just need to hammer together some init scripts so that the system can automatically mount the root volume as read-write, mount the drives in fstab, and do all of that other fun startup stuff.  I've just been passing init=/bin/bash to the kernel for now.

And, of course, the package system.  I've been writing notes and stuff for that periodically for the last few months and, after throwing about three attempts worth in the trash, I think I have a good idea of what needs to be done.  Right now I'm at the point where I'm trying to determine what the best way to implement it would be.