Author Topic: Console wars, FROM THE PAST.  (Read 2858 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Console wars, FROM THE PAST.
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »
I've been thinking about how much bullshit there is for the current console generation, so I figured we might as well debate more pointless time wasting bullshit about past video games, because this is the internet.

So let me start,

Atari Generation: LOLWAT

NES, Jaguar (?): NES, no real explanation necessary.

SNES, Genesis: I was more of a Sega fan, but I suppose I'd say SNES won. It rode on the success of the NES.

N64, Dreamcast, Playstation: I suppose we can agree that the Dreamcast bombed. The N64 and Playstation were both great, and I suppose I'd slightly put the Playstation ahead of the N64, just due to it having a massive variety of games and a lot of great games that are basically cult classics.

PS2, xbox, GNC: PS2, by a long fucking shot. Game cube and xbox were both pretty weak, but each had a few good games.

Discuss..

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Console wars, FROM THE PAST.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
Your generations are a little off there... Thanks to wikipedia:

First generation: 1972, Magnavox released the first home video game console, the Magnavox Odyssey, invented by Ralph H. Baer.

Second Generation: Fairchild released the Fairchild Video Entertainment System (VES) in 1976. ... RCA and Atari soon released their own cartridge-based consoles. ... (This generation also included the Gaming Crash of '77, Atari gaining power, and beginning to lose it again hyping shitty games, and then eventually making a breakthrough with Space Invaders. It covers until '83, when the NES was released)

Third Generation: In 1983, Nintendo released the Famicom in Japan. Like the ColecoVision, the Famicom supported high-resolution sprites and tiled backgrounds, but with more colors. This allowed Famicom games to be longer and have more detailed graphics. Nintendo brought their Famicom over to the US in the form of the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in 1985. ... Sega's Master System was intended to compete with the NES, but never gained any significant market share in the US and was barely profitable. It fared notably better in PAL territories, especially Brazil.

Fourth Generation: Sega regained market share by releasing its next-generation console, the Sega Mega Drive, which was released in Japan on October 29, 1988, in the U.S. in August 1989 (renamed as the Sega Genesis) and in Europe in 1990, two years before Nintendo could release the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

Fifth Generation: The first fifth generation consoles were the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO. Both of these systems were much more powerful than the SNES or Mega Drive (known as Genesis in North America); they were better at rendering polygons, could display more onscreen colors, and the 3DO used CDs that contained far more information than cartridges and were cheaper to produce. Neither of these consoles were serious threats to Sega or Nintendo, though. The 3DO cost more than the SNES and Genesis combined, and the Jaguar was extremely difficult to program for, leading to a lack of games that used its extra power. Both consoles would be discontinued in 1996. ... It was not until Sega's Saturn, Sony's PlayStation, and the Nintendo 64 were released that fifth generation consoles started to become popular. The Saturn and PlayStation used CDs to store games, while the N64 used cartridges. All three cost far less than the 3DO, and were easier to program than the Jaguar. The Saturn also had 2D sprite handling power on par with the Neo-Geo.

Sixth Generation: This generation saw a move towards PC-like architectures in gaming consoles, as well as a shift towards using DVDs for game media. ... Sega's Dreamcast was its last video game console, and was the first of the generation's consoles to be discontinued. ... Sony's PlayStation 2 was the follow-up to its highly successful PlayStation ... The Nintendo GameCube was Nintendo's fourth home video game console and the first console by the company to use optical media instead of cartridges. ... Microsoft's Xbox was the company's first video game console.

Seventh Generation: Microsoft's Xbox 360 was released on November 22, 2005. ... Sony's PlayStation 3 was released in Japan on November 11, 2006, in North America on November 17, 2006 and in Europe on March 23, 2007. ... Nintendo's Wii was released in North America on November 19, 2006, in Japan on December 2, 2006, in Australia on December 7, 2006, and in Europe on December 8, 2006.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Console wars, FROM THE PAST.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
Well yeah, I just didn't feel like going too in depth into the earlier generations, because of how unimportant/long ago they were. I mostly wanted to make this to debate which console was superior for its time and possibly even now.