Author Topic: Let's Play Fallout 3  (Read 3924 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Let's Play Fallout 3
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:26:47 PM »
I can't guarantee that I'll be able to tolerate the game long enough to play through the entire thing, but here goes nothing.

Here are a list of the mods that I'm playing with:

1) Fast VATS
2) Classic Fallout Weapons
3) Fellout
4) Repair It!
5) Street Lights

Also, protip: if you have a wired 360 controller and want to use the keyboard and mouse, make sure that it isn't plugged in when you start the game up.  If you leave it plugged in, well, I hope you don't like using the mouse.  At all.
"This is a machine for making cows."

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fallout 3
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:09:59 PM »
I has no fallz outz 3's T_T

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »
Everybody, say hello to Dinglefritz:

I started the game off with the idea that the character would be focusing on small guns.  They are plentiful, after all, and I enjoy painting the walls with blood when I play first person games.  As for his personality, I decided to make him a generally good person, though I did want his experiences in the vault (i.e. from "TEH OVERSEERZ BEZ DA GAWD" to the bloodbath at the end of his stay) to make him a bit more cynical and weary of the world.  Dinglefritz is a good guy at heart, but the bloody means that he had to take to escape from his home, as well as his encounter with the Overseer and his goons and the murder of Jonas, warped his perspective a bit.  Call it pointless role-playing, but whatever, it makes it more interesting for me.

I think all of the introductory stuff is pretty much wrapped up.  Now, shall we begin his tale?

Yes, yes we shall.

The childhood segment is fairly boring.  About the only thing that happens is that Dinglefritz shows off his stubbornness (no, Butch, you fuckface, you can't have my goddamn sweet roll) and he smacks the Tunnel Snakes around when they try to mess with Amata.  Whoopdie-doo.  After taking his G.O.A.T., Dinglefritz and the teacher have a bit of a heart-to-heart and it's decided that Dinglefritz will specialize in small guns, repair, and lock picking.

A few years later, after Amata wakes up Dinglefritz in a panic, Dinglefritz does everything in his power to calm his friend down.  He learns that his father has left the vault and that his, and his father's, friend, Jonas, has been murdered by the Overseer and his goons.  He accepts the pistol that she offers him, never really planning to use it.  After leaving his room, he is attacked by the most callous security guards ever.  Wow.  You'd think that they'd have, you know, some morals.  The kid's 19 and they want nothing more than to see him splattered on the ground.

Dinglefritz dispatches all of his foes -- human and radroach alike -- with his trusty Louisville Slugger.  He eventually runs across Officer Gomez, who spares him the agony of getting whacked with a police baton.  Dinglefritz, in turn, decides to bring no harm to Gomez, his friend.

Soon, Dinglefritz runs head-first into his rival, Butch.  Butch is having some...mother issues.  Radroaches are attacking his mother!  GASP OH NOES.  After taunting Butch for his lack of intellect, Dinglefritz offers to save Butch's mother, for her sake.  After shooting the radroaches with his BB gun a bazillion times because they keep fucking jumping when I'm trying to aim at them GODDAMN FUCKING BUGS he kills them off.  Butch is so grateful that he gives Dinglefritz his Tunnel Snakes jacket.  Dinglefritz, that bastard, never even thanks him.  Butch gives up his most prized possession and the fucker doesn't seem to care.  What a bastard.  (I would have said thank you.)

Dinglefritz soon makes his way to the atrium in Vault 101, running into a couple that plans to escape the vault.  They run down a hallway and for no apparent reason are gunned down.  Seriously?  Are all of the vault guards robots?  I don't know about anyone else, but if I were given orders to shoot anyone who walked through a doorway I would have a pretty hard time doing it.  Why do these guards have no qualms about murdering two unarmed civilians that just happened to run by?  I suppose it's designed to make it easier for you to take them down and, after seeing that display, Dinglefritz, indeed, has no moral qualms about bashing the guards' heads in with his trusty bat.  After knocking them out, he swiped their ammo because he didn't feel like he had enough.

After making his way through other radroaches and security guards, Dinglefritz eventually found himself outside of the security office where he spots the Overseer and Officer Mack -- the villain responsible for Jonas' murder -- interrogating a tearful Amata.  After Officer Mack makes a note about torturing Amata to get information, Dinglefritz bursts in, only to get attacked by Officer Mack.  Enraged at the Officer's disregard for life and his murdering of Jonas, Dinglefritz pulls out the 10mm pistol that Amata had given him earlier, somehow managing to blow Officer Mack's head clean off his body.  Whoa!

Amata ran out of the room, frightened, and Dinglefritz approached the Overseer.  The two of them exchanged words.  After the Overseer refused to help Dinglefritz leave, Dinglefritz made an idle threat towards Amata.  The Overseer, concerned for his daughter, gave up his office key and the password for his computer terminal.  Without another word, Dinglefritz left, finding Amata in her room.  He spoke with her briefly and began ransacking the room, taking everything that wasn't bolted down in hopes of selling it for great profit later on.

Dinglefritz made his way to the vault door.  After pressing the button to open it he spotted Amata.  The two of them spoke, wishing each other farewell.  Right after that touching moment, two more security guards burst in and immediately started attacking our hero.  Dinglefritz pulled out his trusty 10mm and began firing, killing both guards at close range without taking a single hit despite having no formal weapons training.  What a wonder kid!  Amata didn't seem to care, opting to just stand there and look pretty.  Them vault girls sure are tough.

Our hero finally left the vault, finding the door closing behind him despite nobody being at the door control panel.  He shrugged, walking outside.

Dinglefritz was blinded by the afternoon sun when he stepped outside.  After everything came into focus, he, for no apparent reason, felt compelled to head to the nearby town of Megaton, a town built around an undetonated atomic bomb.  After meeting the local sheriff -- Lucas Simms -- who took an instant liking to our hero despite his low charisma score, Dinglefritz began asking people about the whereabouts of his father, describing him simply as a "middle-aged man."  Most people, understandably, have no clue what he's talking about, but others know instantly what man he's referring to.  One man, Colin Moriarty, even manages to recognize Dinglefritz, despite claiming to have only seen him as a newborn.  Wow!

Dinglefritz, having nothing else to do, heads into Moriarty's bar, running into a man calling himself Mister Burke.  Burke offers Dinglefritz money -- bottle caps -- to detonate the bomb using a fusion pulse charge, blowing the ugly town off of the nuclear wasteland.  I...uh, I'm sure that idea made sense to somebody.

Thinking that this man was off his rocker, Dinglefritz took the fusion pulse charge to Simms.  After going back and forth between panic and absolute calm, the sheriff decided to confront Burke personally.  The two of them trekked back to the bar and the sheriff made a big deal about arresting Burke.  Burke reluctantly volunteered to go with him and, despite the man wanting to level his town and irradiate the surrounding landscape, Simms turned his back to him.  Dinglefritz, having a strange intuition that some might argue would come from playing the game in the past, blew Burke

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:47:16 AM »
Nice.
What's with those addons though?

1) Fast VATS - Understandable
2) Classic Fallout Weapons - What changes does this make to how the game plays?
3) Fellout - Eh?
4) Repair It! - This does what?
5) Street Lights - I think I understand what this is.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »
I used Classic Fallout Weapons for variety, since I was sick of having a tiny weapon cache that basically consists of Pistol and Cheap Pistol, Assault Rifle and Cheap Assault Rifle, etc.  It brings the weapons from FO1 and FO2 to FO3, basically.

Fellout makes it so that the game doesn't look like like Superman 64.  The green tint to everything is pretty unrealistic in general and Fellout does a lot to remove that.  The results are quite stunning.  Additionally, it makes the nights darker.  MUCH darker (hence the Street Lights mod).  Walking around in the city is slightly less dangerous, but walking over the barren wasteland can be rather unsettling.

Repair It! brings a bit more sense to the repair system.  It allows you to repair using certain piece of junk, like scrap metal and wonderglue.  Basically, if it would make sense to repair something with a particular piece of junk, it allows you to do it.  It also allows you to repair crafted weapons using the components that went into building the weapon, preventing you from having to craft a weapon multiple times in order to be able to repair it.  This functionality should have been in the core game.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 06:14:04 PM »
I definitely agree with the idea of Repair It!. That sounds like an awesome mod. I'll have to check out the Classic Fallout Weapons.

Dunno if I'd get Fellout though. I can agree that the green is unrealistic. But I dunno if I want my nights any darker. Walking around at night is unsettling enough as it is, with the creepy-ass music they have. Seriously, the composer is really good.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 02:17:53 AM »
There is a version of Fellout that doesn't darken the nights as much.  It's included in the distribution.  You can also get a mod that will increase the power of your Pip Light.  Regardless, I highly recommend Fellout just because of how much better it makes the game look.