Author Topic: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread  (Read 548301 times)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: The Official S.net "The Lame Replies Thread" Thread
« Reply #645 on: September 25, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »
mine doesn't turn on unless it's plugged in. ha

i need a new battery.  :(

edit: i got this laptop from someone who broke it (dropped it).  The only thing i had to do was get it a new harddrive, and it worked fine. 120GB Western D. pretty nice.  like 80 bucks. shit son. Anyway,only other thing wrong with it is the battery, which I shall work on soon. 

But having Ubuntu is a nice change of pace from windows, even though it was a bitch to get the wireless NIC drivers on this thing.  All is a learning experience, ya know... . .

edit2: I just bought a compTIA A+ study guide book from amazon. yay me. First steps in the industry! [aside from my job]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 02:52:59 AM by Sneaky »
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #646 on: September 25, 2007, 04:11:42 AM »
Heh, yeah, my battery is just as good as yours.  If I were to pull the power cord out of it right now it would shut off instantly.

And, wow, not a bad deal.  Given that it was dropped it's good that the screen still works.

Wireless NIC support in Linux is still kind of meh in my experience.  I wish some things were explained better, like how you had to download the firmware for the ipw2200 driver (took me some time to work out...blah).  There's also a lot of cards that don't have freely available firmware but for those you can generally use the Windows drivers via a wrapper.  It's moving along, at any rate.

And heh, I was thinking about going for an A+ certification but I never got around to it. :x
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #647 on: September 25, 2007, 06:37:02 AM »
I had tried to install linux on my other computer ages ago, but snice it had a wireless NIC that had no linux support whatsoever, I was kinda screwed. I did NOT like that.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 25, 2007, 03:25:43 PM »
I'm going to need one of you goons who runs linux to explain to me sometime how exactly to get it set up and running properly, I've got an ubuntu boot cd and a spare partition that I'm planning to run linux on, but I'm not positive exactly how to go about getting everything to work. Particularly Beryl.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #649 on: September 25, 2007, 06:47:27 PM »
I'm running lunix nao. :>  Horray for elinks!

I haven't installed Ubuntu in quite a while so I'm not sure how helpful I'll be (as a general rule, each distro installs in a dramatically different fashion).  I'm pretty sure they made everything graphical though.  Pop in the CD, boot off of it, and it should bring you to a live GNOME environment with an installer icon on the desktop.  It should be pretty simple to get going -- just tell it where to install itself.

If you don't have a free partition things could get a little hairy.  I don't know if Ubuntu includes an NTFS/FAT resizer.  If you're going to replace Windows, no problem.  If not, you're going to have to find one.

The GRUB boot loader will allow you to selectively boot from Linux or Windows.  Most distros set it up for you and Ubuntu is no exception.  The only thing you may want to change is what boots by default (it'll probably boot Ubuntu by default after a few seconds), but you should be able to easily configure that after the system is installed.

I wouldn't recommend using Beryl just yet because when I used it recently I had stability problems (when using both ATI and nVidia chipsets...especially the former).  It looks pretty but I don't think it's worth reducing your system's stability.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #650 on: September 25, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »
on a somewhat related note, using ati drivers in general may be a bad idea.

also, see: creative labs

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #651 on: September 25, 2007, 07:29:23 PM »
So true, lol.

Also, dependency hell is called that for a reason. I tried installing/building the linux stepmania in yoper, and oh god, once you start hunting down individual dependencies and building them from source only to find you lack another dependency, THAT is pain.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #652 on: September 25, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »
on a somewhat related note, using ati drivers in general may be a bad idea.

I was actually surprised that ati-drivers went in smoothly in my last Linux installation.  Usually I wind up spending an hour (at least) getting the driver not to crash my system on startup.

Of course, I did use the xorg.conf from my previous installation.  Maybe I finally got it to be "just right."

Quote from: Bobbias
(yay for dependancy hell)

Some distros are better than others.  Judging from what Tox said, Ubuntu is pretty good.  I've had very good experiences with FreeBSD's ports system as well as Gentoo's package mangager (which is similar to the ports system).

Debian is fine so long as you stick to the horribly out-of-date stable branch.  I made the mistake of attempting to use the unstable apt source and...wow.  It was a terrible experience.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #653 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:16 PM »
Haha, well, yoper was really young at the time, stable, but still VERY young, so it hardly had any packages aside from the essentials. I ended up hunting down dependencies for like, 3 hours before giving up. I liked their package system though, because it could handle pretty much any format they threw at me.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #654 on: September 25, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »
Ended up not going to the hospital to see my grandma, going tomorrow instead. It sounds like she's doing better now, which is definitely a plus.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »
So apparently I have to pay for my Wiis web browser  :'(. Also I'm mooching off my sisters wi fi for now, so woot.

Shoop Da Whoop

• errday im huslin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 25, 2007, 10:38:04 PM »
what the fuck, the beta for opera is over?

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 25, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »
It's been over for like...months. Middle of July at least. Besides, it's like $4 and it's yours forever. Not like that'll kill you or anything.

I'm proud to not own Halo 3...but instead ordered Lost Planet because the demo was a lot of fun.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 25, 2007, 11:04:33 PM »
My 9th grade English teacher took today off to get Halo 3. I'm betting he's not the only teacher.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 25, 2007, 11:55:32 PM »
It's been over for like...months. Middle of July at least. Besides, it's like $4 and it's yours forever. Not like that'll kill you or anything.

It's just that I don't have any wii point's. Also I'm guessing it's like a dollar for 50 points? Also I CANNOT see why halo is so popular, it's not a bad game and I had a lot of fun with the second one, but I got tired of it and don't really even care for the 3rd one that much. They didn't even add that much more to the game, and the single player for the secound was felt like an afterthought.