Author Topic: Twitter, Facebook, and Iran  (Read 3784 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Twitter, Facebook, and Iran
« on: June 19, 2009, 02:34:27 AM »
Has anyone been following the events unfolding in Iran lately? I can't believe how quickly this has escalated from a small scale riot to mass demonstrations that threaten to lead to either a massacre or possibly a civil war.

Honestly, I hope Mousavi gets into power, because although he was (like most high level politicians) part of the revolution, he has risen to be the leading figure in the reformist movement within Iran, preaching individual rights, and a much more liberal approach to many things.

Unfortunately, at this point, the only way Mousavi will likely attain power is by bloodshed. There's not enough political support for him to have much of a chance to legally attain power, even if it is proven that the election was rigged. But there is a chance that because the local security forces are much less loyal to the government than the IRGC is, many people may defect from the more local forces and join the people, and possibly even fight for a revolution (or at least fight for a coup to remove Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in place of Mir-Hossein Mousavi). However, for that to happen, there would likely need to be a military crackdown on the protesters, and it's still far from certain, since the IRGC is much like the SS was in Nazi Germany.

Anyone else got some thoughts on this?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

Re: Twitter, Facebook, and Iran
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »
I like to imagine Bobbias reads every new piece of news from Iran trembling and biting his nails, waiting for the conclusion of this gripping drama

oh yeah, and either way nothing much will change

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:28:29 PM »
Not necessarily true. The whole nuclear production issue, if Mousavi does somehow get into power in some way other than a bloody revolution (and possibly even in that case) they may have produced enough enriched uranium to be a nuclear threat, which the US is kinda trying to stop.

I'm sorry if you can't seem to grasp the concept that world events not in your country could potentially have some sort of effect on your life.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
I'm sorry you can't seem to grasp that the Ayatollah has more power than the President, but I do enjoy your attempts at being condescending towards me

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »
I'm only playing the same game as you. I'm well aware of the fact that the so called Ayatollah has more power, however, a reformist president is still an improvement over a conservative. Also, considering the rumors that many of the local security forces are quite a bit less loyal than the IRGC, there is still the possibility of an armed revolution, which may topple to Ayatollah's power. Many high ranking clerics are less than pleased with the Ayatollah at the moment, both for his very conservative views, along with the fact that he hardly qualifies fo the position as Supreme Leader.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

淫蟲

• 我們要有思想改造
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »
I'll agree that it'd be good if Mousavi got into power and took a more "liberal" view of things, but I wouldn't consider the Ayatollah to have a "very conservative view of things".  He has a nationalistic view of things, which is pretty different.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 12:14:44 PM »
Normally, I'd post something here, but I really need to sleep. I'll make some sort of response when I wake up around 5 or 6, lol....

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x