Author Topic: PRODUCING POSTS OF LAMENESS SINCE 2004  (Read 473772 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: PRODUCING POSTS OF LAMENESS SINCE 2004
« Reply #735 on: November 16, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »
Well, the gun-firing-for-propulsion thing would still work.... Though I'd definitely like to see what actually happens if someone were to enter the near-perfect vacuum of space without a space suit to protect them...

...but THERE WAS NO AIR.

Also wouldn't their internal pressure cause them to explode some what?

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 16, 2009, 02:27:25 AM »
I've read about it. Your blood wouldn't boil because it's surrounded by veins which keep the pressure in check, but most of the water from your eyes, nose, and mouth would immediately boil away and the rest would freeze pretty instantly. Without anything on your ears, your entire inner ear would burst, and that would cause enough pain for someone to pass out. It's hard to tell which is better, inhaling or exhaling, but either would end with the lungs bursting if the breath was held or collapsing if the breath was let out.

And I think we can assume that the guns in Cowboy Bebop can fire in space because of a modified mechanism or something.

That said, the main reason I was criticizing the bad science in 2012 is because they made such a big deal out of it, and the exposition explaining what causes the disasters is entirely unnecessary. They were bringing fictional science into a film that isn't science fiction. A bad film that isn't science fiction.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #737 on: November 16, 2009, 02:41:14 AM »
I've read about it. Your blood wouldn't boil because it's surrounded by veins which keep the pressure in check, but most of the water from your eyes, nose, and mouth would immediately boil away and the rest would freeze pretty instantly. Without anything on your ears, your entire inner ear would burst, and that would cause enough pain for someone to pass out. It's hard to tell which is better, inhaling or exhaling, but either would end with the lungs bursting if the breath was held or collapsing if the breath was let out.

That sounds...pleasant. :x
"This is a machine for making cows."

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 16, 2009, 03:04:59 AM »
Reminds me of how bad CSI gets on its made up science.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #739 on: November 16, 2009, 03:07:11 AM »

Actually, you wouldn't freeze/boil immediately. There's nothing for you heat to transfer to, so the only way you cool off is by radiant heat, which is rather slow. That much, I know, thanks to my physics teacher (He mentioned that cooling spaceships in space is actually quite a problem).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 16, 2009, 03:11:52 AM »
Well, yeah. The reason for the evaporation is the drop in pressure, and evaporation is a cooling process because the warmer particles leave first. With the pressure so low that water can only exist as a solid or a gas, it would become either a solid or a gas. Just because the water is frozen doesn't mean it's cold, just cold enough.

EDIT: Scratch that, turns out solid water has to be pretty damn cold in a vacuum (close to -80℃). But yeah, the way it would cool is through evaporation, which would essentially be convection.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:21:07 AM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 16, 2009, 03:47:48 AM »
And I think we can assume that the guns in Cowboy Bebop can fire in space because of a modified mechanism or something.

So the shell casings would have to have air inside them so they could support the fire needed for bullet propulsion?

Also the whole freezing/burning things seems relative to where in space you are, what about being in just a vacuum with room temperature?

Oh yeah, and oh god that comic.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #742 on: November 16, 2009, 04:38:48 AM »
Reminds me of how bad CSI gets on its made up science.

<picture>

*snort* hahahahaha

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 16, 2009, 12:19:19 PM »
Also the whole freezing/burning things seems relative to where in space you are, what about being in just a vacuum with room temperature?

Temperature doesn't act the same way in a vacuum. A vacuum can't really be "room temperature" because when we measure room temperature, we're measuring the temperature of some form of matter.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:23:57 PM by annon »

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 16, 2009, 02:52:02 PM »
annon wins again...brutality!

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2009, 03:40:57 PM »
I just tethered my G1 to my computer and did a quick speed test on my EDGE connection.  Here are the results:

Hoo boy.  Oh well, at least it's better than AT&T's miserable excuse for EDGE (which is as fast as T-Mobile's GPRS; roughly 40kbps).  The latency seems to be a bit lower on T-Mo as well -- ~500ms compared to the ~800ms I got on AT&T (on both EDGE and 3G).

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 16, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
my phone:

jk. thats my wifi connection here on campus at ASU West
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 16, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »
Oh yeah, and what's the name of that website that can scan your PC specs and tell you if they meet a required games minimum requirements?

My friend wants to upgrade his PC, but I think the entire thing is screwed.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 16, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »
I'm not supporting a console-ported PC game delivered by a company that has turned its back on the PC Gaming community, and if you value a gaming community such as ours, neither should you.

It offers nothing of value to No Heroes. This is a console game, and we are a PC gaming community. If you want to talk about that game, I'm sure there are plenty of venues out there to do so.

IW turned its back on the PC gaming community. As such, No Heroes is turning its back on them. Will it make a difference? Probably not....but as we are the 5th largest Steam group (out of 800k+ groups), and we get approached on a weekly basis for commercial endorsements/promotions, you can bet your ass I will use what little leverage I have to tell them to shove it up their ass.

MW2 is now considered persona non grata to No Heroes. If any of you guys who were foolish enough to buy a console game to play on your PC's want to have your group hugs and talk about how the rest of the PC world just doesn't get it, take it somewhere else.
Savage from the No-Heroes servers.

Amen to what Savage said.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 17, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »
My best friend's dad killed himself. I don't know the details yet. To cope, I ended up taking a walk outside until I felt like I was going to pass out from hypothermia.

Death is so weird.

f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)