Author Topic: PRODUCING POSTS OF LAMENESS SINCE 2004  (Read 473013 times)

Eggman

• View Profile
Re: PRODUCING POSTS OF LAMENESS SINCE 2004
« Reply #1380 on: February 28, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »
I ended up justifying a PS3 by first getting a 42" plasma TV and then wanting a blu-ray player, along with the ability to play games like Heavy Rain and Final Fantasy 13 and the better versions of a few other RPGs and Yakuza 3. I guess I just like the Japanese/European approach to gaming over the US's.

In any event, hooray my friend Paul came over and helped me reformat and install Windows 7, which really is what Vista should have been. Half the space taken up with all of the stuff I need installed and it's not as much of a resource hog so it's even made a difference on games. TF2 runs better now.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 01, 2010, 03:28:12 AM »
i can't seem to justify buying a ps3 when i have a 360.

mgs4, uncharted 2, nobi nobi boy...

not exactly worth buying a ps3 for when everything is multiplatform now a days.

Agreeable. One reason O own a Wii and a PC. Literally no multiplats across them.

vladgd

« Reply #1382 on: March 01, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »
the 360 and ps3 are pretty interchangeable for the most part.  though, one big mark against ps3 for me is the lack of party chat, which when im playing....anything i like to be able to talk with my friends.  

*DDEde

i am thinking about possibly maby almost playing oblivion

but not vanilla oblivion, fuck that, ive tried already, im not doing it.  

a leveling mod alone is basically MANDATORY for that game, but while im at it i may as well add some other mods to make my experience with the game actually fun.  im hearing Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is pretty good, but i don't really know what it does other than a lot of things.  anywho, i guess ill spend some time later compiling up a list, then uhh, maby even ressurecting my lets play thread or something, but im saying maby because the last time i played oblivion i wanted to hang myself.

seriously though, it's so goddamn simple, but bethesda uses the same retarded leveling system.  instead of "level shit governed to x stat a lot before leveling to get the full x5 mod" it should be "you gain x stat point for every y amount of said skills governed to it you level".  doing it the way i just said would encourage the way they intended you on playing the game, however the hell you wanted.  i can go around pissing around doing whatever, without worrying "ohh fucking no i accidentally jumped and leveled acrobatics when i am not planning on leveling speed this level, time to reload".  it may not be a big deal to others, but im mad fucking anal when it comes to this stuff to the point where my obsession with trying to be perfect, ends up ruining the game for me.  i could just forget about it, but that's something i can't really do, just feels wrong brah.  

it's probably why i enjoy morrowind more.  get a lot of money (really damn easy to do), go to skill trainer, indefinitely level up, get 100 in each stat, then play the game as you please knowing it's impossible to stat fuck yourself.  the damn 5 skill level trainer cap in oblivion takes away the point of using a trainer in my opinion.  though, the world of morrowind is a lot fucking better than oblivion, as a game, it's not as fun the combat sucks, ill be frank.  but in oblivion you can't break the game as hard as you can in morrowind, which is part of the fun in my opinion.  and fuck level scaling, ruins the whole game.  "ohh i am level 4, there is a cave with bandits in level 4 armor"  "ohh i am level 20, the same cave i was in at level 4 has the same bandits, only in level 20 badass armor, where did common bandits get level 20 badass armor?"  "ohh i am level 4, i will never find that super badass armor hidden around somewhere in the world, i have to level to get that stuff"  in morrowind "hey i am level 4, but i found this locked door hidden somewhere in a town i was looking around in, i ended up finding some glass armor, hot damn this is cool"  now level scaling can be fine, they learned their lesson with fallout 3, but oblivion just has retarded level scaling.  

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling

rant over, if i end up doing this, see me in my oblivion thread when i bump it.  i might do screenshots or i might deal with an extremely ghetto video set up, or i may do neither, i don't know yet.  
*EDITING THIS BITCH*

Quote from: the website i copy pasted this from
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
OOO is a massive scaling overhaul with one unique selling point: With it the world actually doesn't resolve around the player. Beside features like stopping Bandits from appearing in Glass Armor and other strengths most listed mods have, there are more and less dangerous areas. Coming with this is much more content for high level characters. There are many new enemy categories which pose a challenge for them, which creates a more believeable experience. You won't fight beefed up Conjurers at high levels, nor will they suddenly be replaced by Plane Summoners - instead there are Plane Summoner hideouts from the beginning of the game, and you can try them whenever you think that you can survive. No mod listed so far has this feature, which is so classical in RPGs. For indidual actors OOO is somewhere in between Fran's and Warcry - they're adapting a bit to your level, but are not fully scaled. An Plane Summoner may have a minimum level of ~20 (so a low level character will be overwhelmed) but a maximum level of ~25 (so he won't always be stronger, but only adapt a little). Also OOO includes many new items, creatures and many more aspects. To summarize it: Fran's is Oblivion with a level scaling like it should have been from the start, while OOO is Oblivion like it should have been as a successor to Morrowind.

ding ding ding we have a winner
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:24:44 AM by vladgd »

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 01, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
OOO is really awesome, I've played through a character with it. There's also several bug-fix patches you ought to track down. I'd just cruise around major Oblivion mod hosting sites and see what has gotten the most downloads/best ratings, and pick and choose from there. People tend to really only download stuff that doesn't suck horribly and/or is pretty balanced, so that's a good way to judge what's good or not, at least from my experience. But I haven't played Oblivion for a few years. @_@

vladgd

« Reply #1384 on: March 02, 2010, 03:06:18 AM »
yeah i modded that bitch up with OOO and af leveling. 

af leveling is pretty nice, i haven't played far at all, like i got out of the sewers and hopped around the imperial city.  leveled up acrobatics, which must have been enough to level my speed stat by 1 that instant.  in order to level, there was 6 different options to pick, but i did the 10 major skills/100 minor skills option. 

so basically, leveling up itself is similar, but the way you had to manage stat points is fucking gone, which is perfect.  with OOO there isn't really any level scaling for the most part so no going "ohh fuck i leveled up non combat stuff and the enemies get stronger while i remain weak"

also, been thinking about 40k again, a friend of mine wants to play, and i don't want to play until i figure out what army i want. 

i had a bad experience with orks, i like them, but i don't want an ork army.  so i basically have two options.

necrons, i hear these guys are fucking durable...but a bit boring to play. 

tyranids, kind of like orks...but not.  might be hard to play?  i don't know.

leaning towards necrons, but nids have dat carnefex....I CAN'T DECIDE :<

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 02, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
I personally prefer Necrons, but that phasing out mechanic might be kind of annoying, I'm not really an expert in 40k D:

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: March 02, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
...why won't steam start?

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: March 02, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Grey_Knights

Vlad, if you don't take this army right now, I will lose all respect for you and punch you.

vladgd

« Reply #1388 on: March 02, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »
going with marines is like picking the popular character of a respective game, orks as well i guess.  i don't like melding with the masses, i have more fun going with lesser used but not shit characters/armies/races/classes.  i don't hate it because it's popular, i just want something less used to bring a little diversity to the table. 

i like the space marines fluff, but i don't want to field any.  i hate the shit out of protoss in game in starcraft, but i dig the fluff. 

anywho, punch my immortal metal robot face because im leaning towards necrons since i might not want to field nids for the same reason i don't want to field orks.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: March 02, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
That's largely my reasoning for who I pick in fighting games. Since I know my opponents will likely go along popularity lines, I go for lesser-used characters like Cammy in SF4.

I really am enjoying Windows 7 a lot. Games even run better just because it's less of a resource hog than Vista was.

I also found this pizza place that's really close by that apparently has won multiple awards for best pizza in the area so I went over there and holy god it's so good. I went with the italian sausage just to have something easy to judge and it's ridiculous. Pretty sure it's family-owned too. The only people working were an older woman and a younger girl of an age I couldn't figure out because she looked much younger than me but I was there around noon so she probably should have been in school if she was high school age. She was hot though, with crazily attractive eyes. I actually had a hard time looking her in the eyes for more than a few seconds when I was ordering. She had bandages on the underside of one of her arms from her wrist up to her elbow though so either those were from oven burns (highly possible while working in a pizza place) or she's a cutter.

I will be going back there. $4.50 for an 8" one topping pizza of orgasmic quality.

Korremar

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
going with marines is like picking the popular character of a respective game

Grey Knights != Space Marines.

She had bandages on the underside of one of her arms from her wrist up to her elbow though so either those were from oven burns (highly possible while working in a pizza place) or she's a cutter.

Even if it were the latter, do it anyway. People with problems are much more fun then those without.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: March 02, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
That was my thinking too actually. Bland people really aren't my style haha.

vladgd

« Reply #1392 on: March 02, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
Grey Knights != Space Marines.

mutated space humans =/= immortal killer space robots

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1393 on: March 02, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
:D  The panel my friend and I applied to host at Tekkoshocon got approved tonight!

Whoo, I'm a panelist~
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

Kulli

« Reply #1394 on: March 02, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »
lolanimecons