Author Topic: anybody have this problem?  (Read 4641 times)

vladgd

anybody have this problem?
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:42:18 AM »
my virus majigger went off due to a trojan (aborted connection, all should be fine) whilst i was browsing the deviantart.

this was the second time it has gone off due to clicking a DA link within DA.  im not even looking up anything "bad" simply "mass effect" and click what looks good.

so what, it's DA not safe to randomly browse anymore?  kind of shitty because believe it or not, there's some good stuff to be found on that there site.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: anybody have this problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
More info would help. If it gives a name, post that, and if it mentioned finding it using heuristics, let us know that. Heuristics is basically a way for AV software to look at the code in something, and try to guess if it's a virus or not (many times, compressed executables, like uTorrent will appear as a trojan, due to UPX packing. Many viruses use UPX packing because it compresses them quite a bit, and makes it that much harder to reverse engineer or determine what they do ahead of execution.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:26:39 AM »
ok, this time the avast didn't catch it, and this came up.

i guess i will abstain from visiting DA from now on until i can figure out a solution.

basically took that screen, and IMMEDIATELY system restored to like 10 days ago.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:29:57 AM »
Yeah, same thing happened to me with FPSbanana. I'd wait a little while before browsing the site again, but they should fix or update that whole ordeal soon.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »
Never ever ever ever ever install Personal Antivirus.

Basically, something -- be it a piece of malware already present on your system or a popup from a compromised web site (or even an unscrupulous ad on an otherwise safe web site) -- is trying to con you into downloading a rogue anti-virus program.

Get AdBlock Plus if you haven't already.  That should at least cull the amount of malicious ads that come through the major ad networks.
"This is a machine for making cows."

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
Never ever ever ever ever install Personal Antivirus.

Basically, something -- be it a piece of malware already present on your system or a popup from a compromised web site (or even an unscrupulous ad on an otherwise safe web site) -- is trying to con you into downloading a rogue anti-virus program.

Get AdBlock Plus if you haven't already.  That should at least cull the amount of malicious ads that come through the major ad networks.

Noted and added to FireFox.  Thanks Sir Spectere.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:10:26 AM »
I need to find an effective way to explain to people what sites to avoid and how to avoid them... I've become pretty adept (though not perfect, I will admit) at avoiding viruses and such that stem from fishy websites. I can even navigate through "warez" and crack/serial websites without getting infected at all. If I could explain what things to look out for easily and effectively, I could likely help a lot of people out :/

Hint: If it isn't one of the trusted names (AVG, Bullguard, Norton, etc.) do NOT install it.

Hint #2: If it advertises via popups, websites that pretend to "scan" your computer (usually by cheesy GIF animated images) or tries to trick you in any way, do NOT install it.

Also: if you don't already do it, before clicking a link you think might for any reason take you to a site you don't want to go to, mouse over the link and check the destination (if you don't already do that). In  many cases that can give you a decent idea of where the link leads.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 10:14:18 PM »
I need to find an effective way to explain to people what sites to avoid and how to avoid them... I've become pretty adept (though not perfect, I will admit) at avoiding viruses and such that stem from fishy websites. I can even navigate through "warez" and crack/serial websites without getting infected at all. If I could explain what things to look out for easily and effectively, I could likely help a lot of people out :/

Hint: If it isn't one of the trusted names (AVG, Bullguard, Norton, etc.) do NOT install it.

Hint #2: If it advertises via popups, websites that pretend to "scan" your computer (usually by cheesy GIF animated images) or tries to trick you in any way, do NOT install it.

Also: if you don't already do it, before clicking a link you think might for any reason take you to a site you don't want to go to, mouse over the link and check the destination (if you don't already do that). In  many cases that can give you a decent idea of where the link leads.

Long story short:  Don't be an idiot.  <3
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs