Author Topic: my "indexer" has stopped working  (Read 5702 times)

vladgd

my "indexer" has stopped working
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »

really this isn't a problem but i get this popup every now and again.

clicking the first thing comes up with nothing, and i wast further time sending information to microsoft which does nothing.

anybody have this problem?  it isn't really a major issue since it's a minor function, but still, it randomly stopped working and id like the problem solved to at least rid this popup i get every now and again.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

Re: my "indexer" has stopped working
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:41:53 AM »
obviously the first easy solution didn't work, and im not going to edit my registry. 

but the last one with the most text worked it seems.  i deleted both folders, restarted...and they were rebuilt. 

anywho, appreciate the helpful assistance.  id "google search" myself but frankly im just too damn paranoid to go clicking random google links. 

anywho, easy problem, easy solution, thread success. 

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:51:43 AM »
Eh, editing the registry isn't as dangerous as some people let on.  As long as you have good directions there's really nothing to worry about.

I tear malicious drivers out of the registry for my day job, so if I can manage to regularly dig that deep into the system and not cause any issues I don't think you'll have any problem.  If you do have to modify the registry, just be sure to export the key that you're working on just in case you need to restore it.

But anyhoo, glad you got it working. :)
"This is a machine for making cows."

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 05:42:10 AM »
Yeah, I've done some minor registry hacking as well, and so far haven't killed anything.

id "google search" myself but frankly im just too damn paranoid to go clicking random google links. 

You need to learn the signs of what sites look safe and which ones aren't. There are plenty of small signs, if people would look for them, but people rarely do.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:13:41 PM »
You need to learn the signs of what sites look safe and which ones aren't. There are plenty of small signs, if people would look for them, but people rarely do.

Also, make sure that your ad blocker is set to stun.  That alone will help considerably.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
Yes. Ad blockers are immensely helpful in navigating the seedier areas of the internet. There are still ways around them (or at least, the google one), but 95% of the time, they are harmless anyway.

Honestly, the biggest thing is read everything before you click on something, unless you know what it's going to say (as in, have read it before).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
I've gone registry diving to remove malicious driver references before, especially when I was getting Vundo out of my system.  You'll eventually be able to distinguish the harmless or necessary entries from the bad ones if you just go in there and peek around every once and a while.  It's like the Cave of Wonders.  As long as you don't touch anything but the lamp, you'll be O.K.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »
Vundo

Combofix kills that one...

But god, jut thinking about trying to remove that beast manually gives me the chills.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »
I'm not sure if I completely got rid of it (it was on my last windows installation).  It basically consisted of deleting boponase.dll from dllcache and system32, and then cleaning out a couple of suspicious registry entries (I'm sure I got the right one because Windows stopped bugging me about boponase.dll being missing afterwards).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:08:15 PM by Alice »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:37:07 AM »
But god, jut thinking about trying to remove that beast manually gives me the chills.

I've removed worse.

The thing that's a bitch about spyware and virus cleanups is when you are unable to even start the system.  You can only do so much virus scanning in a PE environment, after all, so I've had to do a ton of registry work to manually resuscitate systems before.  Needless to say, I've gotten quite good at destroying malware.

That said, if I can boot the system up, ComboFix is an amazing tool.  Its ability to detect and eliminate (or, at worst, just point them out) rootkits is uncanny.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is also an awesome product.  It's ability to remove tough malware from running systems is extraordinary.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 02:50:10 AM »
I was hit by Vundo a while back, and usually when I get something tough, I reinstall windows... Using the "leave everything intact, delete windows, and reinstall it to the same folder" option. It survived that (about the only one I've seen do that).

So I ran combofix and that killed it on the spot.

I've never had a problem with rootkits, that I know of, but I've also gotten pretty adept at avoiding stuff online, so considering I do occasionally browse warez sites and such, when the need arises, I've managed to keep my system a lot cleaner than it has any right to have been.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
Yea my experience with Vundo was a beeeeeatch!!!  My stepdad volunteered me to fix his coworkers' laptop. It wasn't horribly old, with a 2.4 and xp with about 512 of ram. Certainly good enough to word proc, surf, email, etc. which is what they use it for.  Ad-ware just got on it and kept piling on and piling on.  After my research, I found out about vundo and how other people fixed it [combofix], but it wouldn't remove it successfully. It identified it, and attempted [and said] it removed it, but the laptop was still running like shit, so eventually I nuked it and reinstalled xp.  badabing. Then I set them up with free basic protection and instructions on how to prevent future attacks.

VUNDO SUCKS BALLS
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/