Author Topic: HEY GUYS FREE LAPTOP  (Read 8045 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: HEY GUYS FREE LAPTOP
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 02:01:27 AM »
Let's break down the command you entered.

Code: [Select]
lspci
This is short for List PCI, as in "List all the PCI busses and devices"

the | (pipe) command is a way of chaining commands together.

grep Audio
grep is basically a way to search through files or input (in this case, from that pipe command we used earlier) using regex statements. The regex statement here is the word "Audio". What that does is give us only the line we want in the lspci command. (Basically, we filtered out anything that didn't contain the word Audio)

sudo lspci -vv -s 00:09
Once again, I'll break it down. Bear in mind that I'm getting pretty much all my info here from googling, because I haven't touched linux in
a LONG time, and I've honestly forgotten almost everything I learned.

sudo
Ok, get ready to see this a LOT. I'll give you a bit of a background here because this actually shows a significant difference between windows and *nix systems. The command itself stands for Super User DO (I think). It's a way to bypass permissions and run a program as the Super User, or root, without being logged into the root account. The reason we use it is because it allows us to do stuff we couldn't as a regular user. In windows, it's somewhat common that if your going to be doing something (installing programs, etc.) that requires administrative rights, your going to log in as the administrator. On *nix systems you generally NEVER log in as the root, or super user. You simply use the sudo command on anything that might require root privileges. It's much safer than logging in as root.

lspci -vv -s 00:09
This is all one command. Once again, we're using the lspci command, but this time we're using options, or switches.
We're using the -vv switch, which stands for Very Verbose (basically, "tell us everything you know").
We're also using the -s switch, which stands for Show only devices matching the given input.
The input we give it is 00:09 This stands for Bus 00, Slot 09 (which is where your card is physically attached to the PCI bus on your motherboard.)

The .5 is the Function that the card implements. I'm really not too sure on what that means, but it seems to me that it has to do with cases where you might have a card capable of doing multiple things at once. Say, a USB expansion card with 2 USB connectors might have 2 different functions on one physical card, thus requiring 2 different functions. Of course, I could be dead wrong, but regardless, the function value really isn't of any interest for us.

The overall function of those commands is to locate where the sound card is located (physically, on the PCI bus) and then ask lspci what the hardware connected in that location is.

We do that because we don't know where the sound card is actually connected.

We could have simply used lspci, and visually searched for Audio, but it was just easier to use the first command, because we didn't need to know anything else.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x