Author Topic: Rev Rant  (Read 4144 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Rev Rant
« on: August 26, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »
I've only seen a few of these, but he touches down on a lot of topics that most gamers (hate that word, but hey) wouldn't touch down on.

http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-empowerment-144060.phtml

This is damn near a problem in every game, and every kid just eats the shit up.

http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-cinematic-gameplay--140032.phtml

Same about this, that and my friends like the QTE from God of War because "IT'S SO BRUTAL".

vladgd

Re: Rev Rant
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:20:12 PM »
QTE is the cancer that is killing gaming

also, this

http://www.destructoid.com/rev-rant-metroidvanias-138322.phtml

i disagree, but he fully explains why he doesn't like em to where it makes sense to me.  either you like said style of game or you don't.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:22:11 PM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
It's funny, because most rhythm games are little more than giant QTEs and yet we still love them. :p

But yeah, it's kind of silly when they're in action games.  Seems kind of silly that an interactive game would have fewer controls than your average DVD player (i.e. "HUR PRESS X TO WIN OR YOU LOSE LAWL").
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »
i disagree, but he fully explains why he doesn't like em to where it makes sense to me.  either you like said style of game or you don't.

I disagree too, but it's not a genre for everyone. His whole thing asking if anyone uses a map really confuses me, because I couldn't imagine playing Castlevania or Metroid with a map.

Also his comment about the Venture Brothers made me LOLWUT.

It's funny, because most rhythm games are little more than giant QTEs and yet we still love them. :p

There's a fairly large difference between most music rhythm games and QTEs. QTEs to me almost felt like a game self fellating itself by making a character seem super badass with the few hits of a few buttons.

Also I just noticed it's the same guy from those "Hey Ashley" skits. Watch the end of his Indie Mercy video and shit bricks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 04:34:36 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
I dunno, I feel like a super badass when I play Pop'n.

But in all seriousness, I was semi-joking.  It really is a similar concept when you think about it (i.e. press buttons in time with something), but true QTEs generally are just have a series of "win buttons," not really offering any sort of rich or challenging gameplay.
"This is a machine for making cows."