Author Topic: Compressing AVI files from Fraps  (Read 3531 times)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Compressing AVI files from Fraps
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
Hey snet.

I have started using Fraps to record my playings of TF2, L4D2, and oITG and I am unable to get the recordings to a point where it takes less then 10 minutes to upload file on youtube (I have a very slow upload speed...fuck you ohio).

I have been digging around for compressors to try to reduce the size of the files and been messing with my in game graphics and the FPS record option on Fraps...still the smallest file I have is an AVI file that is 650 megs >.<.  It doesn't help that some of the compresser/converters cost money to use (I can solve this using torrents)

Anyone got an idea or suggestion?

Please, no debate guys. I just to know what you use and the pro/cons of the program  I need and which would work for my needs. Thanks!

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
Re: Compressing AVI files from Fraps
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »
the TMPGEnc series is pretty good at giving you tons of options for converting, compressing, etc.
http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/about.html

I've used it a lot, mostly for DVD projects [MPEG2 files], but the amount of choices you get in terms of codec, bit rate, file size goals, all that shit are awesome. You'll probably have to acquire this PERFECTLY LEGITIMATELY.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
VirtualDub. In my opinion, this is a no brainer. Vdub is free, has few limitations, and works well. It's small, and it's what a good portion of the AMV/Anime scene uses for compression outside of their editing programs.

Of course, the downside is that it doesn't come with any codecs. However, if you have a codec pack installed, like CCCP or k-lite codec pack (which is outdated now, but either way) you should have the codecs required. There are lots of options, and I would highly suggest reading up a bit on how some of those options work.

And for what codec you should use, I personally suggest h264 encoding, if possible. It generally achieves higher quality and compression than divx and xvid (xvid tends to wash colors out, but does achieve better compression than divx)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

NewF

• My mom sais i'm cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:44:45 PM »
Growler Guncam seems to work great for me. Try that.
Ps - Its not a compressor, its a recorder, and I made a tes video today, converts to avi easily, and was only 3 meps for like, a 1 minute+ video.

vladgd

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:10:58 PM »
i use vdub with the xvid codec.  works for me.