Author Topic: [Text Game] Pathway to Nothing  (Read 9427 times)

Ulti

• View Profile
[Text Game] Pathway to Nothing
« on: September 06, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
"Alright men, so I bet you're all wondering where the hell we're going by now", the man at the head of the table
barks.

A subdued murmur of agreement goes through the room, but no one actually speaks out. There's about a dozen men in the room, counting the Captain (You assume this is what he is, he's clearly the highest ranking officer here, although you don't personally know him).

"Well, the orders have finally come in. As of this moment, nothing I say leaves this room. Understand?"
"Yes sir!"
"As far as we've been breifed, R&D at the rim colonies have discovered something that they think can be used as a means of instant, undetectable transportation, similar to what They used during the attack on Earth 150 years ago. However, as of last week, all communication attempts to reach the station have failed."

The man pauses to take a drink of coffee. Although you can't tell just from just looking around, it's very early in the morning. After all, it's not like telling time on a spaceship is really productive, there's no good point of reference. Plus the Alcubierre Drive tends to completely screw with your sense of place. You could pretty much be anywhere right now, literally. You still don't know where you're going.

"Sounds like the beginning of every bad sci-fi movie, if you ask me" the man sitting next to you whispers. You nod in agreement, but keep silent.

"Mars Command suspects that They might be involved, but the location of the station is top-secret. Therefore, our squad has been chosen to lead a reconnaisance mission, report on the status of the station, and return. If we find anything out of the ordinary, we're to send communication back to MC, and leave immediately," The captain continues, "the location of the station must remain secret. Apparently, whatever they're doing, it can only be done in one spot, which makes little to no sense if you ask me, but I'm no scientest. Hopefully it'll just be a communications breakdown, and we'll all be able to make it home in one piece. Got it?"
"Yes sir!"
"Okay then, you're dismissed. Suit up, and board the transport ship."

You begin to stand up, but apparently everyone else is quicker than you, so you just wait until everyone's left the room, except you and the Captain.

"Oh, you there."
"Me, sir?"
"Yes, you. You're Kim's replacement, right? Fresh out of Spec Ops training?"
"Yessir. Name's Don Peterson, PFC."
"Alright Private Peterson.Do you have any field experience? What are you trained in?"
"Formally, none, but I did survive the April 3rd incident on the Belt colony"
"Shit son, weren't there only a handful of survivors? And wouldn't you just have been a kid?"
"Yes sir"
"Damn, I guess that explains how you got here straight out of basic. Now what did you train for?"

---

This thread's gonna be a lot more complicated than the last one. Pick your training specialty, but nothing stupid, like knitting. It'll influence later events.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: [Text Game] Pathway to Nothing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 09:59:02 PM »
Explosives? I've always enjoyed sapper type guys. They're pretty much all at least partially insane. And his childhood trauma can account for that :P
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Grey Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 07:42:37 AM »
Explosives sounds good.  Any problem that can't be solved by blowing it up isn't a real problem.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »
Aww, crap, stop defeating the purpose of the thing. I didn't even think of that, it's TOO specialized. This is taking place on a space station, one cannot go blowing out chunks of bulkhead and survive. Clever idea, but wouldn't work well in execution.

<_<

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:13:57 PM »
Well, it's not exactly too specialized, considering that's how specialized they normally are. Hell, can he wield a flamethrower?

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 01:10:04 AM »
How specialized ARE people normally, 400 years in the future, in my own made-up sci-fi world? Huh? That's what I thought!

No, that won't work. I didn't plan on having a flamethrower, and as lulzy as it would be, I don't think it would fit in with the general theme. Plus when was the last time you actually saw a flamethrower used to good effect? Without killing the person firing it as well? Without spoilerzing too much yet, this is going to be fairly survival-horror-esque, and some dude running around strapped down with bombs and such does not make for good suspense, because they tend to explode at the drop of a hat. Pick a more broad area of specialization, like stealth, or medicine, or marksmanship, or engineering, or technical stuff, or something like that. Not bombs :(

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 02:59:50 AM »
400 years in the future we could make a DAMN effective flamethrower or tactical bomb.

But since it's your story, sort of, I'll go with marksmanship.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Grey Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 04:26:05 AM »
Okay, so we're a marksman.  What happens next?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 05:44:53 AM »
You tell the guy your specialty, request permission to leave, and get back to your barracks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:46:49 AM by Bobbias »

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:49:29 PM »
Marksmanship, sir"
"Very well. Head down to the launch bay, you'll be late"
"Yessir"

You walk out of the room, and look around for a minute. There's no immediate indication of where the launch bay is, but when you see another squad member jog past, you decide to follow. You assume the armory is next to the launch bays as it is on most command centers, so you're not likely to be eaten alive for showing up unprepared.

A few second's jog down cramped corridors, and you find yourself in the armorory with the rest of the squad. Somehow, you're not even the last person to show up.

Through the reinforced window, you can see into the hangar, where a transport is being loaded with various crates. You assume it's gear your team will need, but it seems like a godawfully large amount of stuff.

The last guy walks through the door, and equipment begins to be passed out, and you're further breifed. Apparently, all the necessary field eqiupment is being loaded onto your transport now, you're just being issued combat uniforms and sidearms for the voyage, further equipment will be distributed based upon circumstances at your arrival. MC has restricted all nonessential mission information, so basically, you're going in blind.

The rest of the breifing is mostly filler, no real information is being presented, so you take a look at the equipment being issued to you. You uniforms are the new top-of-the-line self-contained environment suits, which are essentially capable of keeping the occupant alive in nearly any conditions, short of a vacuum or intense heat. However, they require rather massive amounts of electricity, either in the form of batteries or simply being plugged into charging outlets, present in most facilities where the military has a presence. Definately not standard issue.

Your sidearm is just a regular pistol, however, of the same general type that's been in use for the last few decades. Simple, solid construction and the capability to fire various rounds makes this .40 cal Semi-automatic pistol a fairly decent match for anything its pointed at.

You finish putting everything on, leave the armory, and board the transport with the rest of the crew. Within a few minutes, you're underway.

---

Good guess. I wanted to post this yesterday, but I got caught up being out of the house all day, rofl. It takes a good bit more time to write a substantial reply than I expected.

Also no action is necessary here, unless you want to propose something. No posts by tommorow or late tonight means I'll just continue onwards with arrival.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »
I propose that we talk to our squad and the crew...get to know some of them a bit (assuming they have storyline significance and, hence, a background, of course :P).
"This is a machine for making cows."

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 02:14:31 AM »
Hay, good idea. I was wondering if anyone would suggest that. I'll write something up tommorow, because I'm going to sleep now.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 03:11:59 AM »
I was thinking along that line too, actually.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 03:16:41 PM »
Okay so it seems I'm incapible of mustering up enough time to provide a real response here. Anyone up for helping me? D:

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
bump

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}