Author Topic: Computer I am trying to build  (Read 5579 times)

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
Computer I am trying to build
« on: January 06, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=11802805

This is something I was looking at for a new compy...wanted to know if you guys could see and help me out...I kinda wanted to keep it under $700 but oh well.

If you can help me cut costs and if I am missing anything please post.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Computer I am trying to build
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
That list is behind the account wall.  We can't see it without logging in as you.

I think you can set wish lists as public...can't remember how for the life of me, though. :x
"This is a machine for making cows."

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:26:28 AM »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:23:50 AM »
Looks pretty solid to me, actually.  You definitely didn't skimp on any of the parts (which, believe me, is a good thing...the LAST thing you want are cheap components).  You'll also be able to slap your old hard drive in there for more storage if you wanted to, though that 1.5TB should serve you quite nicely by itself.

I take it you're planning to reuse your optical drive?  That's the only thing that's really missing.

FYI, just in case you wind up going with a different motherboard, avoid ones with nForce chipsets like the plague.  I'm extremely dissatisfied with my system because of it.  It doesn't have stable 64-bit drivers, to the point that I literally cannot play fullscreen video on my system if I want it to keep running for more than a few minutes.  That's the only reason I've been contemplating moving on to a Core i7 system already.

Edit: As far as Windows 7 goes, the Home Premium edition should suit your needs quite nicely: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116752.  Not really much of a reason to get Ultimate, honestly.  If you're interested in XP Mode (which emulates a 32-bit XP system so that you could even run 16-bit applications in a 64-bit environment), the Professional edition should do it.  Unlike Vista, there is almost no compelling reason for a home users to get Ultimate unless they can get a good price on it.  Essentially, it adds little more than some enterprise-level features to the Professional edition.

Edit²: Changed the links to point to the 64-bit edition since it's more modern and space aged and stuff.  Seriously, it's stable enough now (UNLESS YOU HAVE A FUCKING NFORCE...GFY NVIDIA) that there's no sense in not getting it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:30:11 AM by Spectere »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:44 AM »
I have the same power supply, shit takes a LOT of space so prepair for that. Also that's a TON of memory, good stuff all over really.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:56:31 AM »
fuck, 1.5tb for just over $100? Christ, that's a good price.

And yeah, form what I can see, that is a solid system. I wish I had money to put towards a new desktop. the one in the basement is dieing a slow and painful death, and my laptop, while a solid system, isn't ideal for gaming and such (1280x800 is deceptively small for gaming :/)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:21:25 AM »
Yeah I am getting my income tax soon (even though I have some car repair I have to use it for) I should have about $500 left over which I am going to start buying parts for it (first is going to be the power supply and the case and the cables that I need) and anything else I need from there.

My current rig I am on can play majority of the games but my CPU is old (like 7 years old) and my games have been crashing a lot due to that my CPU just can't keep up even though I went through cleared lots of hard drive space and defraged and clean swept my computer.   I kinda need this upgrade badly...the nice thing is that the computer it's self is about $800 which I want to spend but I needed a better OS which is the real killer but the old saying goes "You pay what you get."

Thanks Spectere for complimenting me on the parts I am getting...I honestly did not know which to go for so I did some additional research while looking at these parts...funny enough I think my current MoBo is an Asus hence why I have AMD CPU.  I went with the case for the fans because I know AMD's like to over heat and I figured that those two fans would help prevent that.

My only thing is when I get everything is it challenging to put it together because I have never built a computer in my life...I have only replaced the video card and the HDD.  Kinda makes me wish I got into computers when I was younger.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »
I've never had a problem with overheating on my AMD at home. It's an Athlon 64 3800+ IIRC, and it's OC'd from 2.0GHz to 2.46 GHz, stable, with stock (!) cooling.I mean, it'll run hot, but not hot enough to overheat. I don't think I even really had it running much hotter when I OCd it to 3.0GHz (which that sore isn't even supposed to be able to do). But it wasn't really stable.

That system cost me about $800 all told, though I salvaged a free case from an older computer, and your computer completely destroys, lol. Just amazes me how quickly things are getting faster and bigger, etc. And how quickly time is going now. I forget how old the computer is, but it is a lot older than it feels like it should be for me.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:59:02 AM »
My only thing is when I get everything is it challenging to put it together because I have never built a computer in my life...

It's far simpler than it used to be.  Before, in the days of AT power supplies, you could fry the motherboard if you plugged the power connector in wrong*.  Nowadays, most things only go in one way and in one type of slot, making things ridiculously easy.

The fact that you're buying an AMD CPU with a stock cooler should makes things hella easy in that regard.  Just be very gentle with the CPU when you insert it (there are a ton of easily bendable pins on the bottom of AMD CPUs) and be very sure to keep yourself grounded, especially given the season, so that it doesn't receive a static shock (same with the RAM, that tends to be even more sensitive to static).  AMD heatsinks are actually far easier than Intel heatsinks to attach.  Funny, since the situation was just the opposite in the Socket 478/A days (before, Intel used to have simple clips on the heatsink and AMD used to have a pain in the ass metal clip that you had to use a lot of force to properly secure...now Intel has four pain in the ass peg-style clips and AMD uses Intel's older design).  Since it's a retail box, the heatsink should already have a thermal pad on the bottom.  That's sufficient for most workloads, and can usually handle a little bit of overclocking.  All you should have to do is put in the CPU, flip the lever down to lock it in, place the heatsink on top of it, and snap the retaining clips shut.  Easy peasy.

Be sure to read the motherboard documentation to see what goes where, since it varies depending on the motherboard.  The hardest part is usually getting the front panel hooked up properly.  ASUS, thankfully, has been including nice self-documenting headers in some of their later motherboards, making it far easier to get everything plugged in properly.  Basically, you hook everything up to the header, slide the thing onto the board, and that's it.  Same thing goes for the USB, FireWire, and front audio ports...pretty sure my mobo has headers for all of those.

Long story short: don't plug a square peg into a round hole and you'll be fine.  Be gentle, keep yourself grounded from static electricity, and spend some extra time doing everything right.  After you make sure it works, use zip ties and tie all of the cables down and out of the way.  It's good for air flow and makes cleaning the case much easier.

*The old AT power supplies used two power connectors with six wires each, arranged in a line.  On the motherboard side, there was a bank of 12 pins that the two connectors would attach to.  There were no keys to prevent you from putting the wrong connector in the wrong bank of ports, and putting the wrong connector in the wrong port would result in bad things happening (such as +12V going to a pin expecting -5V, -12V going to a +5V pin, juicy DC power going to the ground...it definitely wouldn't end well).  Fortunately, the color codes were standardized, so everyone who dealt with them knew that black wires -- the ground -- all went toward the center.  Luckily, it was at least impossible to put the connector in the wrong way (it simply wouldn't snap in place), so it was very unlikely that anyone would reverse the connection.  Thankfully, the ATX series of form factors introduced a 20/24-pin connector that is virtually impossible to plug in incorrectly.

OmegaOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »
Ah okay...I also looked at the mobo a little more closely and it supports PATA/IDE...which is nice because if I need to transfer stuff over I can.

Also as a win a buddy of mine is giving me his 9800gtx+...I just saved about $140 for a video card.