Author Topic: Torrentspy blocks US  (Read 21656 times)

Malwyn

• View Profile
Re: Torrentspy blocks US
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 06:44:44 AM »
Are you running windows? I've found that a lot of cross-platform apps aren't really that cross-platform. GTK+ apps work fantastically in linux, because that's we're they ought to be. Many other components are built to accommodate them, and Gimp and Pidgin and likesuch are slightly unstable in windows. On the flip side, you have jokes like the ATi video drivers and adobe flash player in linux. Most desktop linux distros come with OOo where it's reasonably integrated into the whole system mechanism. Then again, I haven't touched windows in *SO LONG* and I really don't want to download OOo on 64/64 internet. :(

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 07:42:43 AM »
Yes, I'm running windows. Most games don't run in linux right now, so it's limiting for me. I will say OOo is the most competitive thing I've seen to rival Word so far.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Malwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »
how do you mean 'most games'?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 12:58:25 PM »
I mean like, the vast majority of games that I play. I don't see any linux releases for shattered galaxy, world of warcraft, worms armageddon. By games, I mean commercial games that I play on my PC. Does it even have a PSX emulator?
Pretty much anything written in DirectX won't work in linux.. At least, not to my knowledge.

And if it's an annoying process just to get things working, I still don't want to do it.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 09:10:37 PM »
Are you running windows [for OpenOffice]?

I don't know about Boobies, but I can't stand OOo on Windows or Linux.  I went so far as to run Microsoft Office under Wine (which really wasn't all that difficult, surprisingly) just because OOo felt so incredibly ass-backwards to me (like, WordPerfect backwards).

Many other components are built to accommodate them, and Gimp and Pidgin and likesuch are slightly unstable in windows.

I really haven't had any issues with either of those apps.  Pidgin is my standard messenger in XP because the official AIM client is complete ass.

On the flip side, you have jokes like the ATi video drivers and adobe flash player in linux.

ATI's video drivers are a joke in Windows, too.  You don't even want to know how many issues I have with them.

At least after I got the Linux ones running (read about my painful experience with it...and yes, the images in that post are broken, but you're not missing much) they ran all right.  Of course, I literally had to find the ONE VERSION in the portage tree that would work.  After I got that version working I quickly masked every other version so that I wouldn't have to deal with it ever again.
"This is a machine for making cows."

Malwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »
I mean like, the vast majority of games that I play. I don't see any linux releases for shattered galaxy, world of warcraft, worms armageddon. By games, I mean commercial games that I play on my PC. Does it even have a PSX emulator?
Pretty much anything written in DirectX won't work in linux.. At least, not to my knowledge.

And if it's an annoying process just to get things working, I still don't want to do it.

...install wine, either through synaptic (click, click, close) or command line (sudo apt-get install wine), then from a console 'wine blah.exe'. I've found very little that doesn't work with that, SPSS being a curious exception. Apparently it does work with wine but I don't have the bandwidth to tinker. :|

Stuff like worms armageddon should work like a dream, and you'll find a lot of older games sometimes work better in linux than windows. Remember when everyone was bitching about XP's shitty backwards compatability? Wine's is better. :P

As for PSX, "pSX emulator (more commonly referred to as pSX) is a PlayStation emulator for the Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems. Its first public Windows version (1.0) was released on January 29, 2006, and the first official Linux port (1.11) was released on February 24, 2007. pSX is freeware, available for download.", apparently.

// interlude //

Spectere dun't like openoffice? I weep. :(

Also now that I see you have a livejournal prepare for more amorous stalkin'.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
...install wine, either through synaptic (click, click, close) or command line (sudo apt-get install wine), then from a console 'wine blah.exe'. I've found very little that doesn't work with that, SPSS being a curious exception. Apparently it does work with wine but I don't have the bandwidth to tinker. :|

emerge wine > *

:P

Spectere dun't like openoffice? I weep. :(

I despise OpenOffice. :<  I tried to like it but I seriously can't; I just can't get anything done in it.  I spend more time weeding through its "interface" than being productive.

I'd rather use WordPerfect.

Also now that I see you have a livejournal prepare for more amorous stalkin'.

Yez. :>  I've had it for quite a while, ackshully.  WHAT BE UR NAEM?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 03:06:52 AM »
I usually write in notepad, and then copy paste when I want to add formatting, lmao.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Malwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 04:29:52 AM »
I don't have a livejournal. If I did, it wouldn't really be stalking, would it? :D

emerge blah, apt-get install blah, slapt-get --install blah... what's rpm? "yum install blah"?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 09:55:38 AM »
If you're using RPM, the desired command would more than likely look like this look more like this: yum install a better distro

Malwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »
heh. Well to be fair, it is an official standard or something, isn't it?

Wait no that's not fair. Ueh.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »
RPM was developed by Red Hat.  'nuff said.

APT is far superior as far as binary distribution, though I'll always be a ports/portage fanboy. :>

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
I liked APT, I used yoper for a short time, and I believe APT was the package manager they used.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 02:32:44 PM »
You guys are channeling the spirit of Tommy.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2007, 04:33:53 PM »
I liked APT, I used yoper for a short time, and I believe APT was the package manager they used.

They seem to use a system called Smart, which, from what I can gather, is configured by default to work with both Debian packages (APT) and RPMs.  Not a bad compromise.