Author Topic: Cristian's Photographic Photos  (Read 95188 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Cristian's Photographic Photos
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2008, 02:16:30 AM »
Holy shit, insanely nice.  Birds are hard as hell to photograph. <_<  I think I might have gotten a good shot of one yesterday morning (in a tree, but the little guy was still awfully fidgety).  Won't be able to tell until I get the film developed, though. :s

oh shit. nice lighting and detail on that one. Too bad you can't make out the background, though. But again, perhaps its a good thing-- it forces attention onto the bird

Exactly.

Also, smaller apertures require longer exposures, so you're less likely to be able to stop motion like that (which I hear requires about 1/500 of a second) unless you have really good light and fastish film.
"This is a machine for making cows."

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2008, 02:32:23 AM »
oh shit. nice lighting and detail on that one. Too bad you can't make out the background, though. But again, perhaps its a good thing-- it forces attention onto the bird

Thanks, and yes it does :).

Holy shit, insanely nice.  Birds are hard as hell to photograph. <_<  I think I might have gotten a good shot of one yesterday morning (in a tree, but the little guy was still awfully fidgety).  Won't be able to tell until I get the film developed, though. :s

Thanks.  Yeah, birds are tricky.  I've basically given up on walking around trying to find birds, but if the right picture shows up and it happens to be a bird, and i have the right lens, i MIGHT take the picture :)

Also, smaller apertures require longer exposures, so you're less likely to be able to stop motion like that (which I hear requires about 1/500 of a second) unless you have really good light and fastish film.

It's true that a smaller aperture will give you a 'bigger depth of field'... BUT, if you're shooting with a 300mm lens on a 1.5x digital crop factor from about 15 feet away, you could shoot F22 (or F32) and you still would get a blurry background (if the subject distance and background distance are far apart).  I would never shoot f22 anyways cause diffraction kicks my ass after f16 on most of my lenses.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2008, 02:42:42 AM »
Thanks.  Yeah, birds are tricky.  I've basically given up on walking around trying to find birds, but if the right picture shows up and it happens to be a bird, and i have the right lens, i MIGHT take the picture :)

I've had very good luck getting pictures of ducks.  They're pretty much the only bird I was able to get a full frame shot of. :P  I was even able to get some decent shots with my D40's kit lens (18-55mm), which says a lot.

It's true that a smaller aperture will give you a 'bigger depth of field'... BUT, if you're shooting with a 300mm lens on a 1.5x digital crop factor from about 15 feet away, you could shoot F22 (or F32) and you still would get a blurry background (if the subject distance and background distance are far apart).

Too true...

I would never shoot f22 anyways cause diffraction kicks my ass after f16 on most of my lenses.

Diffraction's a bitch.

I generally try to keep it at or below f/11.  For one, my D40's sensor has a few specks of dust that become noticeable at f/16 (except for a particularly large one that you can see at f/4...UGH) and start to become very apparent at around f/22, and I haven't messed with my 70-210mm AF enough to know what its limitations are, but it works great with f/11.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2008, 03:33:25 AM »
F64 4lyfe. :>

Usually I just use the best combo of fastest exposure time with smallest aperture. Of course, the film/iso speed needs to be pretty high to do it. :> Doing a setup like that is great for street photography, when shit can GO DOWN hella abruptly....

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2008, 06:42:36 AM »
I've found that as long as your exposure time is 1/1000 or better (I heard that 1/500 is enough to stop motion, but I dunno) you should be a-ok with capturing hella abrupt shit.  With my D40 I use ISO 200 whenever possible to lower the graininess a bit.

If you really want to play it safe, and your camera supports it, try setting it to either use manual settings with an automatic ISO selection (so a 1/1000 shutter speed in a shadowy area would wind up giving you ISO 800 and ISO 200 in broad daylight, or whatever) or using an aperture-priority program (which is marked with an "A" on both of my Nikons as well as my dad's Sony CyberShot) to help maintain a high shutter speed while achieving fairly consistent results.

flypie

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
Hey Cristian! Good to know you're still taking photos. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through this thread. I love the black and white tree on page one, but the one photo that stood out to me the most was the field (5th photo down on page 10)- awesome leading lines.

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »
Hey Cristian! Good to know you're still taking photos. I thoroughly enjoyed looking through this thread. I love the black and white tree on page one, but the one photo that stood out to me the most was the field (5th photo down on page 10)- awesome leading lines.

Thanks!!  Great to hear from you...you still photographing?

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »

Jeebus.

Hiiiiii! :)

flypie

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2008, 01:16:16 AM »
 :D howdy Spectere.

And yes I am still photographing. But right now I am on a bit of a hiatus...had a lot of photo assignments over the year and I am in need of a break. I'll post a thread shortly of some of my work throughout the year. But I still owe it to you for steering me in the right camera direction (Nikon D50)- couldn't be happier with this camera!

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2008, 06:58:18 AM »
Wicked, so you're planning on actually returning to s.net??

If so, maybe another flypie's corner could show up?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2008, 08:29:34 AM »
But I still owe it to you for steering me in the right camera direction (Nikon D50)- couldn't be happier with this camera!

I have your camera's younger brother (the D40) -- 'tis my first DSLR. :D

I recommend grabbing the 55-200mm AF-S Nikkor if you haven't already.  The vibration reduction model goes for $250 and it roxors.

If so, maybe another flypie's corner could show up?

MAYHAPS. :3  That section was fun.

cristian989

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »
I have your camera's younger brother (the D40) -- 'tis my first DSLR. :D

I recommend grabbing the 55-200mm AF-S Nikkor if you haven't already.  The vibration reduction model goes for $250 and it roxors.

MAYHAPS. :3  That section was fun.

Call me weird, but I actually remember her saying she bought the 55-200 non VR soon after she got the D50 (I think).

Pic not related:

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »
Heh, yeah, I don't remember.

And yikes, wet.