Author Topic: funny colors on startup  (Read 5401 times)

vladgd

funny colors on startup
« on: February 13, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »

i can use the computer (i am posting right now) but what the fuck is this?  it's annoying.  it's not my monitor since when i shut down, the colors change back to normal before shutdown.

i had to start my pc 3 times yesterday to get normal colors, and im posting this on my fourth today.  ill probably end up leaving my pc on until i get a solution...if i can get the colors back to normal.

so i guess ill be restarting my pc until it normalizes. 

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
Re: funny colors on startup
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:32:23 PM »
Looks as if your graphics card hates you.  Processing or memory problem.

Or perhaps a wizard.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:10:58 AM »
Looks as if your graphics card hates you.  Processing or memory problem.

Or perhaps a wizard.

Gnomes possibly Jupi?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:23:40 AM »
Looks like your computer is defaulting to 256 color mode. You can check by going to Personalize -> Display Settings and looking at the "Colors" setting. You might be able to change it back manually to something more than 256 colors.

But it could mean you have a driver problem or something.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 01:58:03 AM »
looks like there was some new drivers, so i got that taken care of. 

whether or not that solves the problem is yet to be seen, so ill be sure to make another post if it didn't fix the problem. 

while roughly on the topic of pc hardware, i swear im one of about 6 people worldwide who owns a 4850x2.  they stopped selling them on the newegg shortly after they came out, must not have been popular for some reason.  best bang for the buck card i could find at the time. 

vladgd

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 02:21:47 AM »
i system restored to about 4 hours ago because i thought i clicked something and yeah, nothing really, just paranoia. 

then 8 bit colors all over again. 

right click, display...colors 8-bit (low)

the fuck, i just change em back to high, but why does it do this?  it couldn't have system restored before i got new video drivers, so yeah, odd.

vladgd

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:17:19 PM »
this is getting weird.  so downloading dawn of war 2 on steam, the download was fucked up so i closed steam, and re opened it.

that caused 8 bit color mode to happen.  i turn the colors back to 32 bit, which would be fine, but now i know it can fucking random 8-bit color my ass during general use, and well, switching back to 32 bit colors doesn't fix everything as you can see in the picture right here.

generally i have some fucking weird problems with my computers, this doesn't seem like a virus or anything, and it doesn't prohibit me from computing, but it's starting to get old.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »
looks like the program thinks its still in 8-bit color :/

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »

apparently it's a trojan

i fucking HATE REINSTALLING MY OS GOD DAMNIT I FUCKING HATE IT I WOULD RATHER GO TO WORK THAN DO THIS SHIT AGAIN FUCK

*edit*

you know what, whatever.  it just gives me an excuse to back up my music and keepable stuff onto my portable HDD, format the HDD, and start fresh.  i had like 60g out of 279 free, and im not sure what most of it was to be honest. 

AND the last time i did this was march 09, so y'know, if i have to do this once every 10-11 months, sure, it gets rid of a lot of the random crud i wouldn't think of removing. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 02:18:57 AM by vladgd »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 06:30:01 AM »
Um, you realize that you don't need to format, right? I know I say this pretty much any time anyone mentions reinstalling windows/formatting, but windows has a nifty little option where you can tell it not to format the drive, and just delete the old windows. Works great for getting rid of trojans and such, while leaving the rest of your system intact. Great for people like me who are too lazy to back shit up.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 07:02:14 AM »
i had about 60 gigs free out of 270. 

i can guess of about 40 gigs of space that was taken up, but that leaves 170 gigs of taken up space that i have no idea what is. 

now that ive done this, as annoying as it was reinstalling drivers, applacations, relogging into everything, reaquanting myself, shit's better.

it's like giving my pc a high bran diet to clean up all the nasty parts.  it literally feels faster and i have 150gigs of space free to use. 

i wouldn't mind this being a yearly thing, but i did this because of an annoying problem mainly. 

tldr, it was annoying but worth it. 

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:27 AM »
Well, that's good. I know I've also got them problem of "where did XX GB of space go?" but I've got so much stuff that archiving it is a PAIN, and a lot of it would take forever to track down/redownload.

I do have a big 1TB storage server, but moving stoff over to it at 2.6MB/s is not my idea of a fun day, since my computer is craptacular while I'm moving stuff over to the server, and that's as fast as the server will store crap.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
i pretty much have 25gigs of music, and 25 gigs of other shit like video i have taken, and hordes and hordes of images.  

like i have folders of old stuff, and mildly old stuff, and recently old stuff, and "all of the images i saved in my documents from the last time i reformated to the most recent time i reformatted"

this would be an example of nearly as old as i have stuff saved, nearly two computers ago with my old kickass windowblinds theme.  

*edit*

i just realized that that image is ALMOST FIVE YEARS OLD EGSGESEDSHRD
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:46:05 PM by vladgd »