Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 568413 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #1155 on: October 27, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »
While I am not a Firefox apologist, I do like how you compare beta versions of some browsers to stable releases.

Eh, the only two stable releases that I'm comparing them to are Chrome and Opera.  IE and Firefox are the two browsers that really need work, and IE seems to be the only one that's actually making any real progress.  Firefox 4 is a beta product as well and it simply doesn't compare to the IE9 beta.  About the only thing that I've witnessed that it does a better job on is Acid3, and even then it only scores two more points.

cool story coming up: I remember way back in Firefox beta my mom (lol) downloaded it and told me about how awesome it was and why I should switch, and I was expecting to resist to the very end...I ended up switching a few months later. Back in '08, I hear about this new browser called Chrome, and I was expecting to resist to the very end...my end is coming soon :(

Give in to the Chrome!  Join usssssss...

Also, I would have laughed in your face if you told me IE would still be relevant/somewhat innovative now 4/5 years ago.

Funny story: aside from being bundled with computers, the main reason that IE4 overtook Netscape Navigator (also known as, you guessed it, "Mozilla") is because Netscape fell far behind in standards compliance.  When IE4 was released, it was one of the most standards compliant browsers on the market.

It's kind of amusing how history is sort of repeating itself.

I kind of had a feeling that IE would wind up improving.  Really, it had to at some point.  I just didn't realize that it would improve so goddamn quickly.  I thought it would be more of an incremental thing.  IE8 was a big step over IE7, but the leap from IE8 to IE9 is mammoth.  It's practically a completely different engine.

Man, I want to switch browsers now. It should be simple to switch bookmarks right? I have a fuckton of them. Plus, the only fire fox add ons I use are addblocker, tineye, and linkification.

Browsers can usually import bookmarks without a hitch.  I'm using the Mac version of Chrome right now and it's giving me Firefox as an import option.  I can't imagine the Windows version being any different.

As for your extensions:

Chrome AdBlock: http://chromeadblock.com/
TinEye for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/haebnnbpedcbhciplfhjjkbafijpncjl
Bprod(uctive) (one of its features does what Linkification does): https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/oiamoccpbchfhpiokdmojejefcnijhlk

Happy Chroming!

I switched to FF when it came out. I hated IE with a passion back then. Now FF feels like it's the 300 lb elephant in the room that nobody quite wants to actually discuss because it used to have so many reasons that it was better than IE. mine you, I switched to Chrome almost the day it was released. And never looked back. I have FF on here, but I never really use it for anything.

300 lbs?  That's an awfully slim elephant. ;)

I'd say that it's more like a 300 lb former star athlete that constantly talks shit about the guy across the hall who has a physical deformity while continuing to stuff Cheetos in his mouth while furiously fapping to hentai.  The thing is, the guy across the hall is saving up for a plastic surgery op to get his deformity fixed.

Basically, by the time Firefox 4 is released, it's going to weigh about 500 lbs and barely be able to roll out of the couch to get another bag of crisps while IE is going to be a better-looking guy who doesn't get continually rejected by the two hot sisters down the hall (WebKit and Opera).

Man, that was a fucked up analogy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:01:43 PM by Spectere »
"This is a machine for making cows."

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 27, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
No, that was an awesome analogy. 8)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1157 on: October 27, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »
No, that was an awesome analogy. 8)

What he said :P
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 27, 2010, 11:47:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure you'd still notice a 300 pound elephant, i mean that thin has to be crying out "kill me" or something lol
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1159 on: October 27, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »
Hmm, true.

Or the elephant could be extremely young and thus cute.  I think they "only" weigh 250-300 pounds at birth (OH YEAH, IS THAT ALL?!).  So, uh, cuddleable?

Yeah, cuddleable.

Kulli

« Reply #1160 on: October 29, 2010, 07:26:42 AM »
tell me when chrome gets a built-in RSS reader guyth

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1161 on: October 29, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »
I just keep Google Reader open in an pinned tab.  It works as well as any standalone reader I've seen and is... *drumroll* in the cloud (OMG).  But seriously, it's nice to be able to open my feeds from anywhere and have their state persist so I've just sort of stuck with that.

One thing that it curiously lacks is the ability to easily subscribe to feeds.  Luckily, there is an official extension for that.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 29, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »
So, uh, is dead space, overlord, and bioshock all for the PC any good? Honestly Dead Space has me the most interested.

Oh and zombie driver looks fun.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1163 on: October 30, 2010, 06:01:32 PM »
I didn't play Bioshock on the system because some fucking halfwit at 2K decided to throw SecuROM on the Steam version.

That aside, I did play the 360 version of it and, frankly, I have no clue why that game is so popular.  The scenery is beautiful and the story is intriguing.  I tried to like it, but the gameplay is just crap.  It literally looks like they put no effort into balancing the game, they just made the respawn system ridiculous to make sure that the player doesn't get pushed back too far.

Oh, and if you do decide to play it, I really hope you like the game Pipe Mania, because you're going to be seeing a lot of it.  If you think that the Mass Effect's "hacking" (QTEs for the console versions and even dumber crap for the PC version) is bad just wait until you play that for your twentieth time.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 30, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
I'll avoid it then, because I've had another person tell me this and I was never all that impressed with the game.

I might look into Dead Space, considering I have a controller and I hear the game plays fine with one. It's a pretty shit controller tho.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1165 on: October 30, 2010, 08:21:33 PM »
I didn't play much of Dead Space, but it seemed like it was a pretty fun game.

If you want a decent controller, pick up a wired 360 controller (the last one that I picked up was around $30).  Many games pick it up automatically and provide you with the exact same control set as the respective 360 verison of the game would have.  I can't for the life of me remember if you have a 360 or not, but if you do it makes a perfectly good secondary controller, mostly because you don't have to constantly worry about making sure that it has batteries.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 30, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
True that, I don't have a 360, but I got a used wired 360 controller a while back for $20, and it works perfectly every time I use it. The 360 headset also works with it.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1167 on: October 31, 2010, 04:18:47 AM »
Heh, yeah, I actually use a wired 360 controller and a headset for Ventrilo and Skype.  It works beautifully.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 31, 2010, 05:19:27 AM »
I probably will, I already have a fighting pad, so a 360 controller would cover the rest of my needs.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 01, 2010, 02:27:14 AM »
So I got minecraft and I have to say addicting as hell.  I have been playing for almost 4 hours now