Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 568301 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #825 on: August 29, 2010, 01:17:59 AM »
Flash sites are only shitty if they're made shitty, just like any other website. I agree that most attempts at making a website completely in flash fail horribly, but I would say that site is an exception. It definitely puts form over function, but not so much that you instantly give up trying to figure it out. It is actually quite stylish but not too hard to navigate either. And it doesn't take centuries to load which is a big plus. I don't really like how it abbreviates all the simfile packs though... The only ones I recognized from their acronyms were the Community Keyboard Megapacks. Still it seems like a good resource for sims.

Yes, it does, but IMO sites should NEVER be completely in flash. It's just plain bad form, if nothing else. And I do like being able to copy ans paste out of sites, which isn't always possible on flash sites. (although some sites use javascript to black that, you can usually solve that one by disabling javascript).
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 29, 2010, 02:18:21 AM »
"Evolving" Stepmania is honestly really laughable and no, it doesn't go beyond trying to apply pretentious ideas to something that's just super simple. I can guarantee you that the people who make IIDX charts don't sit there and try to have "theories" or whatever for what they make. They just make charts.

And the whole usage of negative bpm tricks and stuff like that's been around since the beginning. No one used it originally because it's dumb and adds nothing to the actual game.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #827 on: August 29, 2010, 02:32:20 AM »
@ Spec: Yeah, 4Key is still the main thing. Most packs require it to be 4Key, its just people enjoy the variety of solo. 7Key hasn't taken off yet, so that's no big deal. But the majority of users still go for scores on 4Key. I'm learning solo because its a fun new style :P and you can do more with a chart vs. 4key

Thank goodness.

Maybe I'll work on something if I get some inspiration one of these days.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 29, 2010, 04:09:06 AM »
And the whole usage of negative bpm tricks and stuff like that's been around since the beginning.

...wait what? How is that even possible?

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 29, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
From the moment you could do it in Stepmania. I remember screwing around with it before any of the gimmick charts started showing up with it. There were some really dumb things you could do with Dance With Intensity too.

The whole point is that the Stepmania community just refuses to believe that it's a very simple game.

Oh, and I've already made 8k songs for Stepmania just using doubles. It's really dumb. But I'm sure they're going to think they're "evolving" the game when they get to that point too, even though people have been making keyboard doubles files for years.

K-Mann

« Reply #830 on: August 29, 2010, 01:07:39 PM »
Negative BPM and negative stops are glitches. They weren't technically supposed to exist, but someone found them and took advantage of them. You can't use them in SSC because the writers completely redid the code and got rid of as many glitches as they could... and those tricks were a couple of them.

"Evolving" Stepmania is honestly really laughable

How is it laughable? People have brought the game into a different place than it was a few years ago, and they love it.

and no, it doesn't go beyond trying to apply pretentious ideas to something that's just super simple. I can guarantee you that the people who make IIDX charts don't sit there and try to have "theories" or whatever for what they make. They just make charts.

Like I said, the whole "theories" thing doesn't really exist anymore unless they are trying to BE THE BEST. You might see a theory or two in a file but thats just because thats how they wanted to step in in the first place. Not hard, like you said.

Also, no one likes doubles unless you are playing pad files.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #831 on: August 29, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »
Just finished a big part of the number system for the language I'm creating. I can now create any number between 0 and 999,999 :D

Example: to write 489,563

English - four-hundred eighty-nine thousand five-hundred sixty-three
Dzetlyven - Nyúlavút'zy'ctzalaveyúlacety'z

I've been using version of the Calibri font that I modified so a couple of the characters don't appear correctly, but you can kind of get the idea. Making a language from the ground up with little linguistic knowledge is extremely hard, but also one of the most fun things I've ever done. Although verb conjugation hurts my head :[
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 29, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »
Negative BPM and negative stops are glitches. They weren't technically supposed to exist, but someone found them and took advantage of them. You can't use them in SSC because the writers completely redid the code and got rid of as many glitches as they could... and those tricks were a couple of them.

How is it laughable? People have brought the game into a different place than it was a few years ago, and they love it.

Like I said, the whole "theories" thing doesn't really exist anymore unless they are trying to BE THE BEST. You might see a theory or two in a file but thats just because thats how they wanted to step in in the first place. Not hard, like you said.

Also, no one likes doubles unless you are playing pad files.

But they 7k is the total "wave of the future" currently though right? So no one likes to play 8k but 7k is the "future?" That is also laughable.

The game isn't in a different place now. Chart writers are trying to do too much with their shitty placement of arrows and so now they think they need more space and that's it making the game better. It never needed expansion, they needed to be better chart writers.

Nope, the entire current Stepmania community is still a big wad of pretentious twats just like it always was.

K-Mann

« Reply #833 on: August 29, 2010, 04:37:28 PM »
But they 7k is the total "wave of the future" currently though right? So no one likes to play 8k but 7k is the "future?" That is also laughable.

No, 7K is not the wave of the future. I don't think I ever said that (if I did, please show me, I hate it when I contradict myself). Its just a new way of stepping files. It is also meant for keyboard files, not pad files, which is technically what makes 7k different from 8k. Like I said, it still hasn't taken off yet, and 4k is still the main way that people chart their files.

The game isn't in a different place now. Chart writers are trying to do too much with their shitty placement of arrows and so now they think they need more space and that's it making the game better. It never needed expansion, they needed to be better chart writers.

Better chart writers exist. There just aren't as many as there used to be. Yes, SM is dying, but some people still enjoy it enough to at least TRY to produce quality charts.

Nope, the entire current Stepmania community is still a big wad of pretentious twats just like it always was.

I don't like to think of myself as a pretentious twat. My charts aren't near the quality of many other folks, and all I want to do is produce a better quality file. That makes me pretentious? I enjoyed the stuff you made for the Denjin K megamix; I thought those charts were awesome, and made me want to really try hard with my files.

I agree that many of the attitudes present in some charters are pretty awful, and it bothers me that sometimes they produce files just to rub something in. But its wrong to assume the same about the entire community, myself included.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 29, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
all this jazz

Guys, I believe we need to take sqthreer out.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #835 on: August 29, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
Just finished a big part of the number system for the language I'm creating. I can now create any number between 0 and 999,999 :D

Example: to write 489,563

English - four-hundred eighty-nine thousand five-hundred sixty-three
Dzetlyven - Ny
"This is a machine for making cows."

K-Mann

« Reply #836 on: August 29, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
So I just got rainmeter and it made me realize that I want rss feeds. Anyone know of any good ones? I got my local news site and BBC news (<3 BBC). ANy other suggestions?

Kulli

« Reply #837 on: August 29, 2010, 07:15:09 PM »
And remember that Beatmania evolved from a 5-key layout to a 7-key layout.  Are you saying that Konami should have just hired better chart writers instead of adding two buttons?

yes

I can't play 7-key, but 5-key is no prob (I forget where my fingers are Q_Q)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #838 on: August 29, 2010, 08:16:33 PM »
I played like, 2 songs in 5 key and hated it, I then proceeded to 7 key, and ended up spending quite a bit of time getting to where I am now (which is to say I need to spend a lot more time, and get better than I am).

Also, instead of trying to immitate o2jam, people should just get vittee's server (if it's actually available somewhere) and host their own. I'd love to have a stable o2jam server again, since PH's is down, and o2jamv3 is down, and I don't feel like playing on o2jam latino.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #839 on: August 29, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »
Guys, I believe we need to take sqthreer out.

If you mean to dinner then yay! :D But if you mean to end my life then nay :'[

Can I get a breakdown on what each "chunk" of the number is and how to pronounce it?  I'm curious.

I will try to explain it without making toooo lengthy but I'm pretty certain that's not gonna happen...

The pronunciation of all the characters used in just that number are (in alphabetical order):

A - "ah"
E - "eh"
C - kind of like an English G sounds, eg. goat
'C - like an English K
L - like an English L but more towards the roof of the mouth
N - like an English N
T - like an English T, but if followed by a 'Z it becomes just one sound kind of like in "tsunami"
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx