Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 568467 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #840 on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:46 AM »
That depends.  What kind of stuff are you looking for?

The ones on the Cheezburger network are decent for humor.  Techdirt is a good one if you're looking for a blog dealing with copyright issues and stuff.  I'm a fan of Twenty Sided Tale is a good one for video games and such (along with the occasional personal post from a dude from Butler, PA).  There's one for Zero Punctuation, if you're a Yahtzee fan.
"This is a machine for making cows."

K-Mann

« Reply #841 on: August 30, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »
Fuckin' love this stuff! Check 'em:

I'm thinking about getting rid of the taskbar, I found an app for RM that adds the startmenu to the toolbar at the top. Opinions?

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #842 on: August 30, 2010, 05:05:28 AM »
Normally it would be the same letter but with a small dot right above it instead of the apostrophe to the left of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_above That help? Unicode has glyphs for damn near anything you might want to do with an existing alphabet, lol. And I think those are glyphs created without using the modifier codes, which can add all sorts extra crap (ala zalgo text).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:10:16 AM by Bobbias »
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #843 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:57 AM »
so im afraid of spiders, but i like them. 

like if i see one on the wall right next to me, or crawling around my room real fast, ill flip the fuck out.  but if i see one around the house doing spider stuff, ill investigate what it's doing, or help it climb to where it was trying to go. 

there was a small furry bugger crawling up the outside of my window, so i had to stop what i was doing to get a closer look. 

obviously not my picture, but how do you say no to a face like that?

genetic engineering needs to invent a dog sized spider with the intelligence of a dog.  SCIENCE, MAKE IT HAPPEN! 

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #844 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
I'm thinking about getting rid of the taskbar, I found an app for RM that adds the startmenu to the toolbar at the top. Opinions?

Eh, I wouldn't.  Then again, I use the Windows 7 taskbar very heavily in its natural state.  Hell, that's half of the reason I use Windows 7 in the first place.  The only thing that does as good of a job as it does when dealing with tons of open windows is the Dock on OS X (not too surprising, since they're basically the same thing).  I'm one of those people who can't believe that people would make it act like the taskbar from Vista.

That being said, you are more than welcome to ignore my opinion. :)

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 30, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »
Stepmania is still a game? thought all of those guys grew up and just bought tools to swap disc or modded their ps2 to play REAL iidx rather than making stupid charts to retarded fucking songs.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #846 on: August 30, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_above That help? Unicode has glyphs for damn near anything you might want to do with an existing alphabet, lol. And I think those are glyphs created without using the modifier codes, which can add all sorts extra crap (ala zalgo text).

Yeah that's what I modified the font to look like. When you type any of the letters: P, K, F or S, I made it so they just become overdotted versions of B, C, V, Z (respectively). The overdot in Dzetlyven is considered a consonant "hardener".  I suppose I could have put in the effort to sift through the character map to find them to type here, but that explanation I typed was already a pain in my ass :p

so im afraid of spiders, but i like them. 

like if i see one on the wall right next to me, or crawling around my room real fast, ill flip the fuck out.  but if i see one around the house doing spider stuff, ill investigate what it's doing, or help it climb to where it was trying to go. 

there was a small furry bugger crawling up the outside of my window, so i had to stop what i was doing to get a closer look. 

picshur

obviously not my picture, but how do you say no to a face like that?

genetic engineering needs to invent a dog sized spider with the intelligence of a dog.  SCIENCE, MAKE IT HAPPEN! 

I'm the same way. I think they're fascinating, but I don't want them near me without my knowing ahead of time. Although I don't agree with dog-sized spiders. I'm sorry but even with the intelligence of a dog would still freak me the fuck out. Plus, dogs aren't THAT smart. What if the dogspider was mistreated by its previous owner and lashed out  at you? That fucker could wrap all of its legs around your torso and start fanging your face. No bueno :/
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #847 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:51 PM »
Stepmania is still a game? thought all of those guys grew up and just bought tools to swap disc or modded their ps2 to play REAL iidx rather than making stupid charts to retarded fucking songs.

That implies that IIDX doesn't have stupid charts to retarded songs. Sorry, not every IIDX track is worth listening to or playing. And by the way, with SM, you have the choice to download and play only the tracks you want. IIDX, nope. If you want to do certain things, your gonna have to play certain charts, some of which is downright bullshit terrible (Dirty of Loudness anyone? Most of the shitty jpop tracks also count here for retarded songs.)

IIDX is not perfect. It may be better than DDR, but it is definitely not perfect.

Case in point: I have a fliptop and swap disk, and DD, Gold, and some others. I still play Stepmania too. And o2jam when I can.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #848 on: August 30, 2010, 02:55:51 PM »
Sorry, not every IIDX track is worth listening to or playing.

IIDX has better music than 95% of the crap people make sims to

also:

IIDX is not perfect. It may be better than DDR, but it is definitely not perfect.

LOLNO
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:55:21 PM by Aa »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #849 on: August 30, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
IIDX has better music than 95% of the crap people make sims to

I can agree to that. Then again, look at the number of songs available in IIDX, compare that to the number of songs available to be played in stepmania. SM wins hands down, simply because 5% of the music available for it still amounts to way more music than IIDX. Oh, and I don't have to swap disks to play different tracks in SM.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #850 on: August 30, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »
Thats like saying walmart is a better store to shop at simply because they have more shit in their stores. Doesn't change the fact that most of their products either a) have blood on them (figuratively and literally) and b) are manufactured cheaply as can be (most relative to SM). I enjoyed SM when I played it, but too many 'artists' flooded that shit and made shitty charts. Thats why I enjoyed the community so much at a0.com, because we actually had a small group of really good stepchart makers. I'm sure its still a fun game to some people, but after playing IIDX, I just loved it so much I stopped playing SM at all. Also when a0.com went down, I think that may have been the catalyst to do something else because I was forced to go somewhere else to talk about it, and I wasn't about to go to the FFR forums.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #851 on: August 30, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
What I'm trying to say is that even if 95% of simfiles out there are trash, there are still ones worth playing out there.

I can understand switching because you find IIDX more fun in general (I still like IIDX a lot myself) but nothing will have the same appeal of simplicity coupled with song choice, and challenging gameplay without necessarily being too challenging.

One of my problems with IIDX is the retarded learning curve. I can pass the occasional 8 now, but that took a lot of work, and I hate (and hated) the easy songs. There's such a narrow range of tracks that are enough of a challenge for me, without being too hard or too easy. In SM, there are TONS of songs that I can play competently enough to enjoy, without them being too hard or too easy.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

K-Mann

« Reply #852 on: August 30, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
How about we just drop the whole SM vs. Everyone thing? Its perfectly clear that some like it and some don't, which is totally cool.

I'm all for moving on.

EDIT: Ah, Spec, I see what you mean. Why get rid of something if its doing the job its supposed to do lol. Is there a way to pump up the taskbar with a bunch of quickstarts like on a dock?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:03:40 PM by K-Mann »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #853 on: August 30, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »
What I'm trying to say is that even if 95% of simfiles out there are trash, there are still ones worth playing out there.

Sure, but the problem is that when the crap drastically outnumbers the good, you suffer from Atari 2600 syndrome.  Sure, you might have a few charts that are fucking phenomenal, but those charts are going to be often overlooked because people are so used to seeing complete crap that they choose to not get anything.  Megapacks resolved this issue for a while, but then the packs themselves started getting shittier and shittier.

EDIT: Ah, Spec, I see what you mean. Why get rid of something if its doing the job its supposed to do lol. Is there a way to pump up the taskbar with a bunch of quickstarts like on a dock?

Sure.  There are two good ways to do that.  One way is to right click on an application that's already running and select "pin this program to the docktaskbar."  Another method is to right-click on a program or shortcut and click "pin to taskbar," and, finally, you can drag the icon directly onto the taskbar ala OS X.  From there, you can drag them around freely.  Unlike other Windows versions, you can even drag around the icons to running programs without an issue.

The thing that the current taskbar excels in is managing gobs and gobs of open windows.  For me, using Windows 7 -- especially at work -- is essential for my productivity.  I typically have upwards of 12-20 windows open at any given time and, between the condensed view that only having the application window provides, the thumbnail previews of each window, and Aero Peek, the only thing that would make finding a window easier would be to have an Expos

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #854 on: August 30, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »
Dropping anything doesn't solve shit at least debate gets the opinions out there. We're here to discuss things, at least I am and I damn sure know bobbias is.  Open debate/discussion is the reason forums exist in the first place. Neither of us are trying to get the other one to take their beliefs and practice them, just arguing different points.

Either way, I see the value in SM and personally don't prefer it over IIDX.