Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 526212 times)

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #900 on: September 04, 2010, 04:02:20 AM »
This is the best I can do unfortunately :/ The only camera I have is my iPhone and the lighting sucks but you get the idea.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #901 on: September 04, 2010, 04:19:24 AM »
The only camera I have is my iPhone and the lighting sucks but you get the idea.

Eh, gotta make do with what you have. 8)  I can make it out just fine.

But yeah, that's awesome.  I could really use a futon in my bedroom.  It would be a hell of a lot better for games like Pop'n (right now my only chair in there has two massive armrests...yeah, not fun).

I'd go so far as to say that if I ever got a futon I'd probably get a better TV for that room and move my PS3 or something in there.  So, that said, maybe looking into getting a futon is a bad idea.  It would just make me buy more stuff that I don't really need. XD
"This is a machine for making cows."

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #902 on: September 04, 2010, 04:29:41 AM »
Well if you do decide to get one, I suggest checking thrift stores first. The ones in my area often have them though they're not always in the best shape, so this one was a pretty good score. Especially since it was only $30. I've never seen one less than around $80, even second-hand.
 - Alexxx

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 04, 2010, 04:41:25 AM »
My friend had the same futon, shit was awesome.

K-Mann

« Reply #904 on: September 05, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »
I found the process, ended it, and it still wouldn't start. Not that it mattered, my internet sorta mellowed out. Also AIM went unresponsive, think it's a problem with my PC?

Also prepare for sad http://i.imgur.com/TGYoF.jpg

Someone send him a card.

Guys, 4chan took care of him

K-Mann

« Reply #905 on: September 05, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
Double post as I am considering switching to Google Chrome. I currently have Firefox. Opinions?

I also found this site that has a list of what services you can turn on or off for some speed improvements. If anyone can maybe check the credibility of it that would be nice.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:13:04 PM by K-Mann »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #906 on: September 05, 2010, 06:11:20 PM »
Guys, 4chan took care of him

That is...really awesome.  He looks so happy. :D

Double post as I am considering switching to Google Chrome. I currently have Firefox. Opinions?

Do it. :o

Chrome starts up faster than Firefox on my system.  I've had Firefox take upwards of 20 seconds to start on a Core 2 Quad (with addons disabled), where Chrome starts up in a couple of seconds.

Firefox's tab separation isn't that great.  If one tab crashes in the right way, the whole browser will go down.  While they implemented plugin separation (so that, in theory, Flash taking a shit won't bring the entire browser down), it's still not great since all plugins work in the same sandbox.  Essentially, one dying Flash plugin can impact all plugins in the sandbox.  Similarly, if the rendering engine takes a dive, the entire browser will still go down faster than the titanic.  As much as people rag on Internet Explorer, it has infinitely superior better tab separation.

If you're worried about losing out on AdBlock Plus, there is an AdBlock extension for Chrome which uses the same filter list.  I've had it installed since I switched and it's worked fantastically.

I also found this site that has a list of what services you can turn on or off for some speed improvements. If anyone can maybe check the credibility of it that would be nice.

That's actually an incredibly descriptive site.  Unlike many "ZOMG IM A TWEEKAR" sites, clicking on the service name actually gives you detailed information on the service.

I certainly wouldn't go with the barebones configuration (though I really doubt that was intended for general use), but from what I'm seeing of the tweaked configuration, it looks like the guy really did his homework on this.  There is a possibility that some of the choices could potentially affect applications (hence the inclusion of a safe configuration set) but I doubt it would affect most of the programs that people run; plus, that's a bridge that you could always cross when you get there.

K-Mann

« Reply #907 on: September 05, 2010, 07:22:37 PM »
Firefox's tab separation isn't that great.  If one tab crashes in the right way, the whole browser will go down.  While they implemented plugin separation (so that, in theory, Flash taking a shit won't bring the entire browser down), it's still not great since all plugins work in the same sandbox.  Essentially, one dying Flash plugin can impact all plugins in the sandbox.  Similarly, if the rendering engine takes a dive, the entire browser will still go down faster than the titanic.

Yeah, I've seen that happen before. I always wondered why I could be watching a flash video in one tab with this site open in another, then have the whole thing crash because the one tab couldn't play the flash video for some reason. Youtube uses flash so it happened more than once for me.

If you're worried about losing out on AdBlock Plus, there is an AdBlock extension for Chrome which uses the same filter list.  I've had it installed since I switched and it's worked fantastically.
Excellent. I was really happy to hear that its available on Chrome; should make the experience that much more awesome

That's actually an incredibly descriptive site.  Unlike many "ZOMG IM A TWEEKAR" sites, clicking on the service name actually gives you detailed information on the service.

I certainly wouldn't go with the barebones configuration (though I really doubt that was intended for general use), but from what I'm seeing of the tweaked configuration, it looks like the guy really did his homework on this.  There is a possibility that some of the choices could potentially affect applications (hence the inclusion of a safe configuration set) but I doubt it would affect most of the programs that people run; plus, that's a bridge that you could always cross when you get there.
So then his "safe" category is a sure bet then. Thats good, I had always looked for a comprehensive list on this stuff but when I found them, they never really had a good reason or explanation.

Well if you do decide to get one, I suggest checking thrift stores first. The ones in my area often have them though they're not always in the best shape, so this one was a pretty good score. Especially since it was only $30. I've never seen one less than around $80, even second-hand.

What he said.

I also have a futon and my god, a futon is a good thing to have around, especially if you're on your own. It switches easily to couch mode too for those "movie nights" you are bound to have with your new futon. Even though its nice to find a used on in good shape though, if you have a bit of extra cash, hit up a mattress store or bed store or whatever. They usually offer different kinds of mattress sets for your futon so you can get anything from something firm to lie on to "sink in until you can't see out." I got a middle guy for an extra $50 bucks or so, but again, it depends on where you get it.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #908 on: September 05, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »
I bought Metroid: Other M but haven't gotten around to playing it yet

I hope it's good :S

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 05, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »
I just finished it and after the first hour it gets really really good. And then once you "beat" the game you get a real nice epilogue that's a lot of fun. And then you can just search the ship for everything that you have left.

K-Mann

« Reply #910 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »
Need a good list of the best free apps you can get for an iPod touch. Utilities before games preferred (unless they are the coolest games in the universe (of ipods))

Thanks!

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #911 on: September 07, 2010, 01:36:01 AM »
Well I don't use a whole lotta apps for my iPhone, but for games, I've been consistently entertained by the ones produced by Donut Games.
 - Alexxx

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #912 on: September 07, 2010, 02:00:45 AM »
I really can't think of too many free ones that stayed on my iPhone for very long.

If I had to pick a few good'uns (some of these might be free...don't remember really), I'd say go with TapDefense (pretty sure that one is free, but ad-supported), Plants vs. Zombies, Tap Tap Revenge 3 (I'd only recommend it on the 2nd gen Touch and up; I get lag spikes on my iPhone 3G, so you'd probably run into the same issue with a 1st gen Touch), Canabalt, and Jumbline.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 07, 2010, 03:13:53 AM »
I can't stand cellphone games. I bought Zenonia because it seemed like it was the only one that had some form of actual meat to it but even it's just loaded down with inane time-wasting garbage. And the icons for special attacks are too small. Oh well.

I ended up just throwing an SNES emulator on my X and now I have SNES RPGs to play since I don't trust a virtual d-pad to ever be good enough to play anything else from that era.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 07, 2010, 05:21:27 AM »
I'm siding with Eggman, but I've never really played around with smart phones. There was one fairly awesome Doom RPG for cell phones that I put a lot of time on when the hurricanes came around and we lost power for a few days.