Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 567718 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #990 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »
That's usually how I get all my word of mouth info/advice, if I don't know who it's coming from I take it with a huge grain of salt. Also yeah, I always hunt someone down who knows something.

Also my dog almost gave me a fucking heart attack this morning. She started crying relly loud and twitching on my floor, so I jumped up and was thinking about called my Dad, then she woke up and acted like nothing was wrong. Pissed me off.

OmegaOmni

• Bernard Deathrage Advocate
  • I am here to fuck the scout's mother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 20, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »

Honestly, I would run any technical purchases you plan to make past the people here (as you have done ;D).  We've got quite a few smarty men here who would be lot more helpful than Bozo291 on <insert online store here> or your local Geek Squad "agent."

I know that first hand...Spectere helped me out quite a bit when him and I built my new rig.

Thx Spec!

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 20, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »
Speaking as someone familiar with hardware and able to apply common sense, I prefer to read negative reviews. People with no problems usually won't bother to review the item; people with problems will. Weeding out the ones that don't make any sense or are unreasonable leaves you with the best information about the product's potential downfalls.

As far as relying on people here...it's not inherently a bad idea, but people differ in their specialties and experiences. If you're looking for something that's good relative to cheap, sure, ask away. If you're wondering about any potential problems, you're much better off reading the hardware reviews (as many as possible, from different sites if possible).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:57:14 PM by 『フエハデ』 »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #993 on: September 20, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
Speaking as someone familiar with hardware and able to apply common sense, I prefer to read negative reviews. People with no problems usually won't bother to review the item; people with problems will. Weeding out the ones that don't make any sense or are unreasonable leaves you with the best information about the product's potential downfalls.

I do as well for the same reason, but that approach falls apart when you don't know what one would consider to be unreasonable.  When I dissected the review above I intentionally went for one that would go over the heads of most people who would buy such a product.  If you're not sure what you're looking for and are relying on the reviews to tell you about a product, your average "techie" (i.e. the type of person who knows enough to be dangerous) is going to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

As far as relying on people here...it's not inherently a bad idea, but people differ in their specialties and experiences. If you're looking for something that's good relative to cheap, sure, ask away. If you're wondering about any potential problems, you're much better off reading the hardware reviews (as many as possible, from different sites if possible).

Agreed to a certain extent, but I feel like we have a pretty good mixture of specialties here.  I have a strong background in Windows and computer networking, with above-average knowledge of Linux, Mac OS, and programming; not to mention that I try to keep abreast with all of the modern hardware.  You have a strong Linux and programming background with what appears to be plenty of low-level hardware and electronics knowledge.  OmegaOmni and Mort each have strong backgrounds in pwnage, etc.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 20, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »
I can't stop listening to Simple and Clean. WHEN YOU WALK AWAY, YOU DON'T HEAR ME SAY, PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSE.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #995 on: September 20, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
I am so tired of that damn song.  haha.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 20, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
OH BAAABEEEEY, DON'T GO. SIMPLE AND CLEAN IS THE WAY THAT YOU'RE MAKING ME FEEEEEEEL TONIGHT.

Yeah it's goddamn terrible, but it's so catchy.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 20, 2010, 08:46:14 PM »
1000 combos

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #998 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16:58 PM »
Agreed to a certain extent, but I feel like we have a pretty good mixture of specialties here.  I have a strong background in Windows and computer networking, with above-average knowledge of Linux, Mac OS, and programming; not to mention that I try to keep abreast with all of the modern hardware.  You have a strong Linux and programming background with what appears to be plenty of low-level hardware and electronics knowledge.  OmegaOmni and Mort each have strong backgrounds in pwnage, etc.

I'm just a bit behind both you guys, lol. Compared to your average "techie", I've got knowledge/experience in all those things too (well, except maybe networking, my networking is a bit weak, but only because I haven't needed anything fancy, and haven't had to learn any of the heavier subjects).

I can definitely say that asking here has helped me more than any other website out there. I usually get a prompt response (unless spec is on one of his extended absences), and most of the time I get more information from him than I do from forums dedicated to whatever I'm asking about. The thread I made about getting gentoo onto this thing has been so much more helpful than all the threads I've made on the official gentoo forums combined. Spectere always had useful info, bits of info about the internals related to what I was asking about, etc. and that helped me so much more. I don't get why other people (who obviously know all that stuff) can't be arsed to actually mention it. They could always just link people to previous posts if they didn't want to explain something over and over again...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 20, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »
1000 combos

more like 1500 hit combo.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1000 on: September 21, 2010, 01:20:44 AM »
more like 1500 hit combo.

Actually -- and this kind of scary -- he simultaneously managed to snag the 1000th reply to this thread as hit 1500th post.

For pulling that off, I feel like a "grats, annon" is deserved so: grats, annon!

(unless spec is on one of his extended absences)

Typically when I'm on hiatus I'm depressed and angsty, so you wouldn't want me here anyway.

The thread I made about getting gentoo onto this thing has been so much more helpful than all the threads I've made on the official gentoo forums combined.

Yeah, when I need help with Gentoo I usually peruse the Ubuntu forums. :|  Every time I posted questions to the Gentoo forum I'd get the runaround for a few days (not even stuff that could potentially fix the issue, just stuff that's blatantly false) and wind up posting the solution that I determined to the topic that I made.  Gentoo Wiki is pretty awful in a lot of topics as well.  It's startling how much of that site is filled with outdated knowledge that's long past its use by date.  If I didn't love Gentoo as a distribution I wouldn't have put up with it.  It just so happens that the starter guides and portage utilities are good enough to let you work out your own solutions to problems.

Pretty much the only thing I go there for is the occasional HOWTO.

vladgd

« Reply #1001 on: September 21, 2010, 01:53:59 AM »
Typically when I'm on hiatus I'm depressed and angsty, so you wouldn't want me here anyway.

im blaming linkin park on this

also like im sleeping early so i can play civ v the whole goddamn day.  you imagine how hard it is trying to sleep when it's dark out?  really difficult i tell you.  much as i hate the sun, i have adapted into sleeping when the sun is rising/has risen.  it's like 2am as i type this, i normally sleep at 8-9am.

TIME TO LAY IN BED NOT GETTING ANY SLEEP TILL I HAVE TO BE AWAKE AND BE TIRED ALL DAY PLAYING CIV V
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 01:58:59 AM by vladgd »

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1002 on: September 21, 2010, 01:58:04 AM »
The wounds, man, they just will not heal.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1003 on: September 21, 2010, 02:01:09 AM »

But I luvs u
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

『フエハデ』

• COMO UN JEFE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 21, 2010, 02:41:34 AM »
it's true!