Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 567259 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #1110 on: October 11, 2010, 01:23:34 PM »
That's a pretty poor reason for region coding, and it's hardly "perfectly understandable."  You've proven my point yourself by indicating that the borders for region 1 Blu-ray discs include Japan and the US.  If it were about licensing, each country would be its own "region," especially distinct markets like the Japanese and American markets.  Considering Asia itself is divided into two regions, I can't help but believe that Japan's inclusion in region 1 is more of a fan service to importers than anything else, seeing as licensing (which seems to be your entire argument if you ignore the unnecessary blanket attacks) isn't magically shared between our countries.

Licensing affects why, say, a compact disc is sold in one country but not another.  Region locking is little more of an anti-consumer way of "enforcing" such a thing.  If I were in Europe for a month and my PS3 decided to roll over and die, none of my legitimately purchased, region-locked US titles would play on my European device.  When I got back to the US, none of the region-locked European games that I purchased would play on a US device.  How is that fair?  Am I "selfish" for expecting a PS3 game to play on a PS3, regardless of where it was purchased?
"This is a machine for making cows."

Kulli

« Reply #1111 on: October 11, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
Considering Asia itself is divided into two regions, I can't help but believe that Japan's inclusion in region 1 is more of a fan service to importers than anything else

Which is why I brought my PS3 with me, but left my mom with the Wii WOOOOOOOOOOO

also there's a Wii + SSBB in my campus center, AND they let you use your own GameCube controller. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

TL;DR: WOOOOOYESSSSSS

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
That's a pretty poor reason for region coding, and it's hardly "perfectly understandable."  You've proven my point yourself by indicating that the borders for region 1 Blu-ray discs include Japan and the US.  If it were about licensing, each country would be its own "region," especially distinct markets like the Japanese and American markets.  Considering Asia itself is divided into two regions, I can't help but believe that Japan's inclusion in region 1 is more of a fan service to importers than anything else, seeing as licensing (which seems to be your entire argument if you ignore the unnecessary blanket attacks) isn't magically shared between our countries.

Licensing affects why, say, a compact disc is sold in one country but not another.  Region locking is little more of an anti-consumer way of "enforcing" such a thing.  If I were in Europe for a month and my PS3 decided to roll over and die, none of my legitimately purchased, region-locked US titles would play on my European device.  When I got back to the US, none of the region-locked European games that I purchased would play on a US device.  How is that fair?  Am I "selfish" for expecting a PS3 game to play on a PS3, regardless of where it was purchased?

Not to be mean or anything man but you really have no idea what you're talking about on this one.

And honestly, yeah, it IS pretty selfish to expect every game to play on every system everywhere no matter where you are. It ignores a very large side of the business.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 11, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »
also there's a Wii + SSBB in my campus center, AND they let you use your own GameCube controller.

CAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1114 on: October 11, 2010, 11:10:41 PM »
Not to be mean or anything man but you really have no idea what you're talking about on this one.

And honestly, yeah, it IS pretty selfish to expect every game to play on every system everywhere no matter where you are. It ignores a very large side of the business.

It'd be nice if you or spectere would provide some links verifying how this shit actually works, rather than just claiming the other doesn't know what they're talking about...

I'll put in my 2 cents, but I'll say now that I'm speaking for myself, as a consumer, and I really don't know how all the licensing crap really works. I'd like to see something explaining that crap.

I'd say that if I payed for a game, I damn well better be able to play that thing on the moon if I bring it with me. That's why I bought the game in the first place. And I'm pretty sure a damn large portion of consumers would agree with me. Just because a company does something, doesn't mean they are right to do so. I can understand refusing to sell a game in a country you can't sell it, but going as far as to block the hardware from being able to play it outside of it's own region is going too far. If I import something, I'm still supporting the people who make the game. I'm probably supporting them a lot more than buying the translated version, anyway. And I can understand if someone says "wait till the american release and buy it them so we can show company xyz that there is demand for game zyx in english". But that doesn't count for the fact that I'd bet pretty heavily that most companies have a pretty good idea of where imported games are going, and can see whether there's a demand for an english version of something based on that anyway (if you can prove me wrong, go right ahead, because I'm just basing this on the fact that generally companies do a pretty good job of tracking their sales).

But If I happen to buy a console in one country (such as canada) and take it with me to another one (such as japan), I REALLY do not want to have to buy another system, just to play any game I buy in japan. I mean, I'm (theoretically) already buying the games, why should I pay an exorbitant price for a second piece of hardware that is 99% identical to the one I already have? That is just exploiting the minority because there aren't enough members to make a stink about it. It's like saying that since your country only has 1% of the population from some small-ass country, your going to make them pay taxes 10 times what everyone else pays, and nobody would listen to them because they're the vast minority anyway. It's pure bullshit.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1115 on: October 11, 2010, 11:40:58 PM »

Thanks for the great response.  Really.

While you're up there on your high horse, why not actually try to explain why licensing for certain titles is suddenly shared across the US/Asian border for no rhyme or reason?  Licensing doesn't work in magical blocks that Sony draws out.  Licensing is far more granular than three huge regions and I dare you to try to prove me wrong on that point.

Likewise, if you feel that customers being peeved about region coding enforcement, i.e. "force consumers to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars on new hardware and software if they move to a different country," is selfish, then I sincerely hope that you are never in charge of a major gaming company.

It'd be nice if you or spectere would provide some links verifying how this shit actually works, rather than just claiming the other doesn't know what they're talking about...

I don't think it's too hard to see that region coding isn't enforced due to licensing.  If that were the case, US and Canada would be in two distinct codes.

Look at online streaming services, like Hulu or, well, pretty much anything US-based.  Oftentimes they'll block Canadian viewers.  Why?  Licensing.  If licensing was such a huge deal, DVDs and games would not work across the US/Canadian border because there is as much of a rift between our two countries than there is between us and Europe when it comes to that stuff.

That also fails to explain why games that are developed entirely in-house are region locked.  If it were simply due to licensing there would be no reason for the games to be locked.  Region locking is more about control over distribution than licensing.  Why do you suppose Sony forced Lik-Sang out of business over a handheld that's largely open in terms of region coding (with UMD movies being a notable exception)?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:52:19 PM by Spectere »

Kulli

« Reply #1116 on: October 12, 2010, 12:09:22 AM »
CAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Wiimote is for fgts; I hate using that thing for any game

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1117 on: October 12, 2010, 12:11:20 AM »

Though if it's well calibrated I imagine it'd be fun to use for a rail shooter.

(note: I haven't played a rail shooter for the Wii, nor have I used my Wii to play Wii games in a very long time)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1118 on: October 12, 2010, 02:25:40 AM »
I can understand how licensing is more granular, but there may be aspects about dealing with licensing multiple countries at once, etc. etc. that get commonly dealt with by those companies. That's the sort of thing I meant. A company's habits can affect stuff like region locking too (say a company is in the habit of licensing a game to multiple countries at once [eg USA and Canada], rather than as individual separate deals.)

Look at online streaming services, like Hulu or, well, pretty much anything US-based.  Oftentimes they'll block Canadian viewers.  Why?  Licensing.  If licensing was such a huge deal, DVDs and games would not work across the US/Canadian border because there is as much of a rift between our two countries than there is between us and Europe when it comes to that stuff.

That just reminds me how much I hate seeing messages like "This service is not available in your region". That shit is REALLY annoying.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 12, 2010, 02:33:10 AM »

I meant the fact that you're playing brawl, not the controller you're using. And spektur, pointing with the Wii remote is fine, it's the waggle that needed tweeking for accuracy.

Also this whole conversation, really? I mean, this site has some of the smartest people I know posting here, but a few of you tend to have some ego problems. but this conversation is just dumb, and there's no real point to it. Basically region locking can and will be a hindrance on some customers, but they don't give a fuck.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1120 on: October 12, 2010, 02:41:33 AM »
Also this whole conversation, really? I mean, this site has some of the smartest people I know posting here, but a few of you tend to have some ego problems.

That's why it hasn't already degenerated into everyone calling everyone else a "dum fukn fagt"...

Eggman's line there wasn't particularly nice, and neither was spectere's response (mind you, it was kinda warranted), but I don't think that this will degenerate into a complete flame war.

Plus, I would really enjoy some insight into why some game companies thing region locking is a good thing, because I sure as hell don't understand it. If eggman can shed some light on what their though process is, I'd welcome that information (preferably with a link to someone in the industry talking about it, or some other source like that though).

I mean, I see region locking in some things (American based streaming stuff, Pandora, etc.) and I see plenty of other things that are doing fine without any region locking (y halo thar PC games [sans SC2]).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Kulli

« Reply #1121 on: October 12, 2010, 04:00:06 AM »
I meant the fact that you're playing brawl, not the controller you're using.

o. That would make more sense.

The most "hardcore" fighting game I play is Soul Calibur (lol), so I'm not really the type to care about "real" fighter fans' opinions

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 12, 2010, 04:25:55 AM »
Oh, not really a shock. No one seems to care for 2D fighting games until they learn the basics, but not having anyone to play with is the biggest buzz kill.

Plus, I would really enjoy some insight into why some game companies thing region locking is a good thing, because I sure as hell don't understand it. If eggman can shed some light on what their though process is, I'd welcome that information (preferably with a link to someone in the industry talking about it, or some other source like that though).

Yeah, I'd second that.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1123 on: October 12, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
Oh, not really a shock. No one seems to care for 2D fighting games until they learn the basics, but not having anyone to play with is the biggest buzz kill.

Agreed. The other thing that sucks is if you find someone who'll play you, but basically just button mashes and BSs everything.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 12, 2010, 04:48:57 PM »
Block and punish bro, or throw out some high priority moves.

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/gay-sex-vs-straight-sex/

Scroll down to the "Have you ever had a sexual encounter with someone of the same sex" and check each gender, it made me lol.