Author Topic: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010  (Read 558171 times)

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: THE MOST LAMEST THREAD OF 2010
« Reply #1245 on: December 04, 2010, 01:35:11 AM »
My guess would be "read block, write block, sync, repeat". That can be several orders of magnitude slower than asynchronous read/write operations, especially when flash memory is involved.

That's the only way it would make any sense, yeah.  Even so, I have to wonder why it feels about the same speed as the PlayStation (whose games, I believe, primarily or exclusively used synchronous reads/writes when saving to the memory card) when the interfaces that are in play should be considerably faster.  Particularly puzzling is the fact that putting a fast SD card in didn't make a difference.  My camera does have a 3-4 shot buffer when dealing with RAW files (something like 45-60 with JPEGs), but it can flush the buffer and fully write a ~3-4MB file in less than a second (133x cards have a write speed of 160mbps).  I've seen the Wii take 10 seconds to copy a 2 block file (256KB).  Even the slowest SD cards on the market could save a 3-4MB file in less time.

Maybe the Wii (at least the version that I run, which is rather obsolete) just has a pitifully small copy buffer.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: December 04, 2010, 04:58:33 AM »
That's pretty insane. Also this comic is golden http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php

Kulli

« Reply #1247 on: December 04, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
Into the Inferno's been the top sponsored file on BMS for about 3 years now.

Yep.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1248 on: December 04, 2010, 06:07:16 PM »
Damn right.  Not too surprising, really, it's pretty much the best simfile on Bemanistyle.

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1249 on: December 04, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
Damn right.  Not too surprising, really, it's pretty much the best simfile on Bemanistyle.

Mo' like the best on the internet!
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: December 04, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
Games for windows live keeps crashing on me, and I have no clue how to unfuck it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1251 on: December 04, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
GFWL is kind of an abortion, really. :x

I heard that one of the things that you have to have installed is .NET Framework 4.0.  The installer is apparently a little...retarded and doesn't have the right set of dependencies.  If you don't have that installed, give it a go.

Eggman

• View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: December 05, 2010, 03:59:30 AM »
Why is it that the PS3 seems to be the only system that isn't a complete sloth when it comes to using external storage?  I just copied 2GB of MP3s over for use in Gran Turismo 5 (mostly because I didn't feel like setting up a uPNP media server on my PC, if it'll even access that in-game) and was surprised when it copied everything extremely quickly, like PC speed.

I suppose you could ask just the opposite question -- why on earth does the 360 and the Wii make such a huge goddamn deal over transferring data?  Especially the Wii.  Waiting for that overglorified GameCube to transfer data from internal storage to SD is agonizing.

Agreed.

Post moar, mutha truckers!

Try doing system transfers from one PS3 to another. It can take literally 10 hours. Putting something from an outside source to a system goes fast (even on the Wii for the few games that allow it) but between two systems or just a system item like a save is slow on everything out there.

From what I remember, the Wii also has a ton of built-in piracy checks on things you transfer to SD card/from SD card to system. Also why some games just aren't allowed to transfer save at all. I've never really seen that come up as a problem though since I can't say I've ever felt a need to bring a Wii save with me anywhere.

Try downloading a game from Wii Shop directly to SD card. It barely takes any longer than straight to system memory.

You should also really try to lay off the hyperbole.

Kulli

« Reply #1253 on: December 05, 2010, 04:07:06 AM »
You should also really try to lay off the hyperbole.

Why is it that the PS3 seems to be the only system that isn't a complete sloth when it comes to using external storage?

I just copied 2GB of MP3s over for use in Gran Turismo 5 (mostly because I didn't feel like setting up a uPNP media server on my PC, if it'll even access that in-game) and was surprised when it copied everything extremely quickly, like PC speed.

Waiting for that overglorified GameCube to transfer data from internal storage to SD is agonizing.

YEAH MAN THIS NIGGA IS JUST SPREADING IT TOO THICK

LIKE SPREADING BUTTER ON BUTTER

ps your Wii fanboyism is showing jk I dunno how you call that hyperbole, but whatever

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: December 05, 2010, 05:10:32 AM »
Everyone shut the fuck up.

Dio Brando might possibly be in MvC3.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1255 on: December 05, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »
Everyone shut the fuck up.

Why? This site is for DISCUSSION. It hasn't degraded into a flamewar yet, so I'd say it still qualifies as discussion.

Also eggman, he was just talking about his observations, he never tried to say that the Wii and 360 are definitively slower than the PS3.

And somehow, I'd say that the PS3 is quite likely to be faster at transferring data than either of those, considering the hardware it has at it's disposal.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #1256 on: December 05, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »
Try doing system transfers from one PS3 to another. It can take literally 10 hours. Putting something from an outside source to a system goes fast (even on the Wii for the few games that allow it) but between two systems or just a system item like a save is slow on everything out there.

Nobody said anything about system transfers.  I talked about transferring MP3s.

Doing an image backup between two devices is always going to be slow, especially when you're dealing with large hard drives.

From what I remember, the Wii also has a ton of built-in piracy checks on things you transfer to SD card/from SD card to system. Also why some games just aren't allowed to transfer save at all. I've never really seen that come up as a problem though since I can't say I've ever felt a need to bring a Wii save with me anywhere.

The Xbox 360 is DRM'd to hell, but it can still transfer a 256KB data file considerably faster than the Wii.  There is absolutely no reason a reasonably fast PowerPC can't handle DRM, even if it's not backed by dedicated hardware (which it likely is, which would mean that there should be virtually no decrease in speed).

Like I said, most of my experiences came from backing up my saves.  It was far slower than it should have been.  I already gave my relative benchmarks and how fast you should be able to transfer data from SD cards, so I won't bother repeating it.  If you really want to read it, go to the previous page and look for the post yourself.

Try downloading a game from Wii Shop directly to SD card. It barely takes any longer than straight to system memory.

Irrelevant, considering my issues were copying data between external and internal storage for each system.

It's kind of hilarious how much I seem to be getting under your skin just by writing rants and intentional (and admitted) exaggerations.  To know that I'm affecting a person enough to incite them to make a couple of angry posts without even trying is just funny.

And somehow, I'd say that the PS3 is quite likely to be faster at transferring data than either of those, considering the hardware it has at it's disposal.

The PS3 is pretty evenly matched for the Xbox 360 when it comes to basic operations.  The Xbox 360 essentially uses a three-core PowerPC while the PS3 uses a single-core PowerPC with seven SIMD processors called SPEs (the Cell has eight, but one was disabled on the PS3 spins to improve yields), with six usable to game designers.  The Xenon chip used by the Xbox 360 uses a very similar core ("PPE," as they call it) to the one used in the PS3 and both chips are clocked at 3.2GHz.  So, really, for general purpose operations the Xbox 360 wins due to parallelism and for heavy calculations the PS3 wins because of the SPEs.

If we were to be really, really picky, the Xbox 360 should technically be able to do asynchronous copies faster because the copy operation can be threaded into an unused core while the dashboard is running, while the PS3 would be stuck keeping it in the same PPE that's running the bling, but for all intense and purposes they're evenly matched.

That said, the hardware for both is obviously much stronger than the Wii.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #1257 on: December 05, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was just saying jokingly so he could announce that Dio Brando might be in MvC3.

Ahh, it wouldn't have been the first time someone here got fed up with a heated discussion and said something like that.

In any case, can we not make a separate thread for this whole discussion?

Why? The lamest replies thread is for random stuff, and this just happens to have cropped up in our random talking... Plus, we need to break 100 pages by the new year...
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Jupi

• Striped Member
  • ...omg...it spins...
    • View Profile
    • Jupi's website.  No, rly.
« Reply #1258 on: December 05, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was just saying jokingly so he could announce that Dio Brando might be in MvC3.

Shut the fuck up with your logic and logicness.
actually fuck you guys just kidding keep my quote in your sigs

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: December 05, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
Why? This site is for DISCUSSION.

Nigger did you just back talk me? but yeah, you really can't have any tone of voice while using text, but it was a joke

Like I said, most of my experiences came from backing up my saves.  It was far slower than it should have been.  I already gave my relative benchmarks and how fast you should be able to transfer data from SD cards, so I won't bother repeating it.  If you really want to read it, go to the previous page and look for the post yourself.

Really? Is that necessary? Not that I hate any problem with this conversation, but there is no need to toss out RickRolls like this is 2006.