Author Topic: Movie Recommendations  (Read 45100 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Movie Recommendations
« on: March 18, 2010, 02:03:49 AM »
Why don't we have this already?

but yeah, if you've seen a movie that recently came out/went under the radar and feel that it's worth a watch give a description about it OR if you're looking for a recommendation then ask away.

I was sort of trying to build a list of movies to watch, and I've got Citizen Kain (OMGBESTMOVIEEVAR), Jin Roh, the Hurt Locker, Guyver: Dark Hero, Old Boy, and probably a few others I just can't remember.

So? Any thoughts on these?

Ulti

• View Profile
Re: Movie Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:50:42 AM »
I tried watching Oldboy recently, and I couldn't get further than about half-way through. Granted, I was watching the dubbed version and this was probably a fatal mistake (The voice acting was retardedly over the top, along with hammy dialogue), but it was just really weird, for seemingly no reason. I hear it gets pretty awesome as it goes on but I just couldn't drag myself to get through it, and this is coming from a guy whose favorite director is David Lynch.

On that note, you guys should check out some of his movies, if you haven't seen them. Blue Velvet is probably the most approachable, it won an Oscar the year it came out and made Dennis Hopper pretty goddamn infamous for a long time, and is just pretty damn good. Mulholland Drive is good too, that movie is an incredible shitstorm of mindfuck and brainrape. And if you want make yourself feel incredibly uncomfortable, watch Eraserhead.

On the slightly less surreal side, I really liked Sunshine, which was a scifi that came out a few years ago by Danny Boyle, the guy who directed 28 Days Later and Slumdog Millionaire (although I never did see that...). It's pretty badass, the Sun's all explodin' and shit, and it's all "HOLY SHIT SPACE" with a really cool soundtrack. Also, Unforgiven is probably the best western I've ever seen, and that's counting The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. So you should check that shit out, if you're willing to put up with like like two hours of buildup to the most intense finale ever.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »
Sunshine was pretty interesting, but it's unfortunate that you haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire cause it's quite an exceptional movie.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
Yeah, I heard Erasure head is good, I also hear that a LOT of people were disappointed by the ending of Sunshine.

Also what is Slumdog actually about? All I know is that it's about some guy on Who wants to be a Millionaire and there's a girl.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
Must watch movies (in no order)
1) Requiem for a Dream
2) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3) The Machinist
4) Fight Club
5) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
6) A Clockwork Orange

Awesome lesser known movies.

Ichi The Killer or anything by Takashi Miike really.
Oldboy/The Vengeance Trilogy
Sukiyaki Western Django
Moon
Visioneers

I'm sure I'll think of more.

I tried watching Oldboy recently, and I couldn't get further than about half-way through. Granted, I was watching the dubbed version and this was probably a fatal mistake (The voice acting was retardedly over the top, along with hammy dialogue), but it was just really weird, for seemingly no reason. I hear it gets pretty awesome as it goes on but I just couldn't drag myself to get through it, and this is coming from a guy whose favorite director is David Lynch.

A) NEVER watch Asian movies dubbed. As much as you might not like reading, a LOT gets lost when the script has to be rewritten to fit English (since you can have longer subtitles than the English script would allow people to actually talk during the scene), and the voice acting is ALWAYS going to be bad.
B) The movie is weird. Period. But since you like David Lynch, that shouldn't be a problem. There are moments where it seems like you have no idea what is supposed to be going on, but later on the movie gets so much better, and the parts you didn't understand before, you begin to understand. And the awesome action begins as well. Where exactly did you stop, anyway?
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:25:18 AM »
Well, I've seen half of Requiem for a Dream, Fight Club, Fear and Loathing and I'd agree.

Also I've had a clockwork orange on my PC for like years and have yet to watch it. Makes me feel bad.

Oh yeah, and I figured an Old Boy dub would be fairly bad.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
Also, that movie Visioneers has Zack Galafinackis in a serious role (well, sorta). It is a dark comedy/drama. And completely awesome.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »
Yeah, I heard Erasure head is good, I also hear that a LOT of people were disappointed by the ending of Sunshine.

Also what is Slumdog actually about? All I know is that it's about some guy on Who wants to be a Millionaire and there's a girl.

I was a little disappointed by the ending of Sunshine, to be honest. It would have been okay if it matched the rest of the movie, but it felt like the whole essence of the movie shifted near the end and it was weird.

Slumdog Millionaire is about this teenage Indian orphan/runaway (I forget) who grew up dirt poor in the slums with no education and no extraordinary talents to be known who somehow gets onto the WWTBAM show. It switches back and forth from present time (on the show) and his childhood. As the show goes on he's getting every answer correct, and with no formal education or anything, the higher-ups start to question whether or not he's legit and take him in for questioning. BUT the reason he knows the answers is explained by his flashbacks. Almost every time it flashes back to a significant event in his life (following a storyline of course) it shows you how he knows the answer to the question. And there is, of course, a romantic aspect. It actually is very crucial to the whole point of the story, but it's not distracting and overwhelmingly cheesy like they sometimes are.

It's very well done and the soundtrack is pretty awesome too. I just saw DJ Suketu (the creator of the soundtrack) at a show last week, actually.

P.S. Bobbias: I'm glad someone else likes that movie XD I thought it was awkwardly brilliant. I felt like I was living inside of Zach Galifianakis's mind while watching it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:33:39 PM by Sqthreer! »
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 06:56:40 PM »
Moon and Dark City are both really good, I thought. If it counts, Perfect Blue as well.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
I really enjoyed Slumdog.

P.S. Bobbias: I'm glad someone else likes that movie XD I thought it was awkwardly brilliant. I felt like I was living inside of Zach Galifianakis's mind while watching it.

Yeah. I'd chalk the awkwardness of the movie up to that feeling you get from anything that's set in a dystopian world (though they manage to keep it from feeling like something like 1984).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

vladgd

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 08:59:56 PM »
clerks
running man
enter the dragon
coming to america
the kickboxer
bloodsport

flaffl

• KOREA MEMBER ^_^ FUNNI KEKEKEKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
The last two oscar winners were piss poor movies. Except, Hurt Locker was a lot better than Slumdog, but that's not saying much.

Alice in Wonderland was also piss poor. What can you expect.

also, coming to america is a genius movie.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
Yeah, I agree about the ending of Sunshine, it taking a turn towards slasher flick was kind of a letdown, but I still enjyoed the movie, it didn't really kill it for me. I still thought the bad guy was pretty badass, though. Also, the only reason I saw a dub of Oldboy was because I pulled it up on Netflix, and they only have dubs I guess.

Also, my dad rented this movie that came out a couple years back called Outlander, it's some space-viking madness with the guy from Passion  of the Christ playing the main actor. Sounds like it would be bad, right? WRONG. That shit was hilariously awesome, it was like watching Predator and Lord of the Rings at the same time. I'd recommend it.

Also also: Tetsuo the Iron Man is madness. I sat there in horror thinking "what in God's name am I watching here D:" the entire time, and it was fucking sweet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:06:31 PM by Ulti »

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 01:21:56 AM »
A strange man known only as the "metal fetishist", who seems to have an insane compulsion to stick scrap metal into his body...

wut.

Oh yeah, and if you haven't seen it, the movie Heavy Metal will make you a man.

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:36:37 AM »
Oh god, that movie is indescribably awesome. Like... Oh god, space cocaine.