Author Topic: Movie Recommendations  (Read 45099 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
So I just watched the movie "The Mist" and it was shockingly mediocre. I understood the whole point being that the scariest part of a crisis isn't the monsters, but how people react to them and you during them, but this movie took it to a whole new fucking level.

SPOILERS

Some guy runs out of the mist all bloody saying something took his friend and another guy is seen being covered by it and then you hear a scream and he never comes back, yet EVERYONE is like "It's just mist, don't be a pussy" and they become amazingly violent. So, a person goes out into it and he gets mauled and fucked over by giant tentacles and he manages to cut a part of it off. So they try telling everyone that there's monsters in the mist, and this black guy goes crazy and says they're full of shit. When they offer to show him part if it he yells at them more and tells them to fuck off. A little bit later he gathers basically ALL of the black people in the store and marches them right into the mist and they all get fucked by giant spiders (black people dying in a horror movie, REALLY?).

That's just half of it, but I really don't feel like going into detail tho. The ending is also amazingly depressing. The main character (which is the definition of Mary Sue) basically has to run away because the religious nuts at the store want to sacrifice his son (she has a bible the whole time too, so this part confused me endlessly) so they get a few people to run to a car and they start driving. They drive to the MC's house and see that his wife is dead, then they keep driving until they run out of gas and are still in the mist. So, he take the handgun they have and he puts a bullet in the head of his 10 year old son, his new love interest, and two other people that escaped with him. He's then alone with no more bullets and he goes out in the mist to die from a monster, while he does this a tank drives up behind him and the military is evacuating people to safety with tanks and APCs. It ends with the MC screaming at the sky before cutting to black.

TL;DR, not really recommendable.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
Have you read the short story? The ending is different. Basically, he take the escapees, and drives off into the mist. No explanation of what happens next, just leaving you hoping that he did get out. Completely a cliffhanger, but I felt it was exactly the right way to end it.

I also thought that it would make a fucking terrible movie, and responded with something like "oh fucking hell, this is gonna suck" when I saw previews for it.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »
So I just watched the movie "The Mist" and it was shockingly mediocre. I understood the whole point being that the scariest part of a crisis isn't the monsters, but how people react to them and you during them, but this movie took it to a whole new fucking level.

I actually really liked this movie a lot. I think mostly because of the idea of a (SPOILER):window to another dimension going awry. Stuff like that always peeks my interests. Also the CG was quite good, and the creatures were well-designed and sufficiently scary-looking. It was great to see a decent child actor, too. The son of the MC was very convincing. The acting in general was good; I think they played off how people could react in such a situation pretty well.

I haven't read the short story, but I imagine if I had read it first, I wouldn't have enjoyed the movie as much. But I don't quite understand what was so off-putting about it that would make people dislike it completely :/ It seems this is either a hit or miss movie.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »
peeks my interests

Spelling/Grammar Nazi points out that it's actually spelled "piques" in this case.

Well, the story really is more about how everyone deals with such a sudden and bizarre change. The whole story is basically about "shit hits the fan, how do you survive?" It's more of a movie about the psychology of the individual characters than it is a monster story. It just happens that a great way to put ordinary people in an extraordinary position, is by introducing a monster, and the creepy ass mist. That's why the ending doesn't really matter, you know the MC is just going to keep going until either he has nothing left, or he somehow survives.

The twist ending that you spoilered definitely created a serious flaw in the meaning of the story.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
I dunno, maybe the book was more about the experience of the characters, but I think the movie was definitely more focused on the creatures. I'm not negating the intense psychological aspect of it, I just think that since they had the use of visual effects, they wanted you to see them.

And also thanks for pointing out the "piqued" thing. I didn't know that word existed :O Now I'm smarter!

However, what I typed (if I had spelled it right XD) could still be grammatically correct and also be interpreted the same way, no? The phrase: "it peaks my interests" translates to me as: "it has reached the peak of the scale of things I'm interested in". But this isn't a linguistics thread so I'm done.
 - Alexxx

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »
Yeah, I thought The Mist was one of the better horror movies I've ever seen. I thought the ending was pretty ballsy, I can't really think of too many other movies with endings that are that much of a buzzkill.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 12:02:48 AM »
I really did like the ending, just because MOST movies try to avoid the whole "BAD END" and when movies have the whole "in the hands of fate" thing going it it almost ALWAYS turns out good, but in this case it's basically the WORST possible thing that happens.

I just feel that the whole psychological aspect of the movie was handled horribly and felt like it every character rushed to some sort of mental extreme over the course of a few vocal exchanges. Really, the chances of someone using threat of violence when you exchange a few, non threatening sentences with them is incredibly fucking low, yet TWO people do it at the start of the movie. The religion part seems a BIT more logical, what with her being right about the predictions and what with shit really is getting real.

Still, some people just seemed like straight slack jawed retards while others were super amazing people that were always picking the most logical decision. Generally everyone seemed fairly 1D.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »
It may have been like that in the story too, lol. I can't remember because it's been quite a while, and although I think the ending may have kinda detracted from the original idea of the story, I do agree that it's ballsy as shit to try something like that.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
Bump, but the guy I work with was talking about some Italian made movie about the mob, I think it began with a G or something? I know it was a single word and is decently known.

Also I suppose I should watch Good Fellas and the Godfather.

Oh yeah, and Hurt Locker is an okay movie. It only had like 4 characters that really stood out during it, and I can't even name them now, but it was still entertaining, and I thought it carried and overall good theme with it.

Also also, anyone see the STALKER movie (one based on the games)?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:53:39 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
The STALKER movie is what the games were based around, not the other way around. It's by the same guy who did Solaris, it's supposed to be a very good film.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 04:00:11 AM »
oh wait, yeah that's what I meant.

Also movie i was forced to watch.

Hitch: fairly boring. No where near as bad as I thought it would be, but still a very cliche romantic comedy.

Terminal: okay, but a bit corny. Amazingly well filmed, and I actually liked the ending.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2010, 04:19:13 AM »
I thought terminal was a very good movie, actually. Tom Hanks did a great job in int. His accent was great, and I thought they did a great job with it. I can say I really did enjoy watching it, and didn't have any problems with it.

And I watched Hitch with my GF a while back and had a couple laughs. It was a straight forward romantic comedy, but at least it was funny enough to not want to kill yourself while watching.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
I thought terminal was a very good movie, actually. Tom Hanks did a great job in int. His accent was great, and I thought they did a great job with it. I can say I really did enjoy watching it, and didn't have any problems with it.

Not sure why, but I laughed at how this was worded.

Also, District 9, The book of Eli, and Inception, worth seeing?

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
Just saw Inception last night. I enjoyed it, but I think it's one of those movies you need to see at least twice to fully grasp everything that's going on. Even being completely stoned I could basically follow all the craziness, but I wanna see it sober to be sure. Even though it's kinda long, it keeps your brain working most of the time so it goes by pretty quick. The subject of the movie was already something I'm very interested in so that made it easier to get into as well.

Also The Book of Eli was pretty good. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic movies anyhow but the added "book" aspect made it pretty unique. It's got some nice twists in it as well.
 - Alexxx

dsam070789

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 04:46:36 PM »
Random Reply: Lord of the Rings Trilogy is one of a kind and it rules any movie with a Middle Ages/Sorcerer taste.
God said to John, "Come forth and receive eternal life", but John came fifth and received a toaster instead.