Author Topic: Movie Recommendations  (Read 45091 times)

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
Re: Movie Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »
Just saw Inception last night. I enjoyed it, but I think it's one of those movies you need to see at least twice to fully grasp everything that's going on. Even being completely stoned I could basically follow all the craziness, but I wanna see it sober to be sure. Even though it's kinda long, it keeps your brain working most of the time so it goes by pretty quick. The subject of the movie was already something I'm very interested in so that made it easier to get into as well.

Also The Book of Eli was pretty good. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic movies anyhow but the added "book" aspect made it pretty unique. It's got some nice twists in it as well.

I REALLY want to see I Inception :/ Also, I've been wondering how The Book of Eli was. I've been mildly interested.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »
I liked Inception as well. I don't see where people are confused by this movie though, I'm pretty sure I understood all there is to grasp there the first time through. I went into it expecting some David Lynch-scale mindfuck and a plot that wouldn't even make sense the first time, and was sorely disappointed. For a movie with such a convoluted premise and plot, it's done in a fashion that I felt like it could've been a lot more ambitious, but perhaps my expectations for a summer blockbuster are too high. As long as you are attentive it's easy to catch everything you're supposed to, and Ellen Page's character essentially narrates anything you might have not caught. But, for such a big-budget Hollywood production, I was impressed. I liked this movie a good bit more than the Dark Knight.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 03:11:46 AM »
I REALLY want to see I Inception :/ Also, I've been wondering how The Book of Eli was. I've been mildly interested.

I hear the Book of Eli was alright, but the twist sounds sort of retarded.

Also I just saw Mulholland Dr, and I'm mad. It was long as hell, and literally made NO sense. I mean, it was really well filmed, but there no real meaning to about half of the goddamn film.

Fuck.

Sqthreer!

• It's hip to be sq3r.
    • View Profile
    • Sqthreer.com
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »
Get Him to the Greek is pretty good.
"Floors are a lot like walls."
 - Alexxx

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »
I hear the Book of Eli was alright, but the twist sounds sort of retarded.

Also I just saw Mulholland Dr, and I'm mad. It was long as hell, and literally made NO sense. I mean, it was really well filmed, but there no real meaning to about half of the goddamn film.

Fuck.

You gotta watch that movie like 3 times to figure out what the fuck is going on, at like the halfway point of the movie, all the characters totally shuffle actors and shit gets 300% more confusing. There's some pretty solid interpretations of the movie out there though, I'm p sure the wiki page explains the movie pretty throughly.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
I watched the original Psycho last night. I have to say, even though the violent scenes look pretty dated, the movie is pretty damn unnerving.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 12:46:52 AM »
You gotta watch that movie like 3 times to figure out what the fuck is going on, at like the halfway point of the movie, all the characters totally shuffle actors and shit gets 300% more confusing. There's some pretty solid interpretations of the movie out there though, I'm p sure the wiki page explains the movie pretty throughly.

It's all bullshit, it literally didn't have a coherent plot so trying to make sense of it is pointless.

Sneaky

• Windows 8 Knowledge Base
  • Where I come from they call it the Hibbity Dibbity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 04:09:08 AM »
In a mindfucky mood? Check out Stay (2005). Fantastic performances from everyone involved, and I thoroughly was hooked till the very last 10 minutes, where you go "OHHHHH I FUCKING GET IT" because it leads you on for a good 3/4s of the movie and keeps you guessing.

Also, Moon (2009). This came out last year at some point, but I can't recall ever seeing ads for it, or it being in the theatre for that long if at all. But, it is in the same flavor as the movie above. You think you understand whats going on, then the movie reveals what actually is happening about a little past half way through. Even though it does this, you're still hooked because of the amazing job being done by Sam Rockwell, and the story in general. Think 2001: A space odyssey but shorter and a tiny less gloomy. Future-Sci-Fi Psychological Thriller, I loved it.
I wish that cake was a lie. :(

I guess he never figured out what Willis was saying :/

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 04:41:06 AM »
In a mindfucky mood? Check out Stay (2005). Fantastic performances from everyone involved, and I thoroughly was hooked till the very last 10 minutes, where you go "OHHHHH I FUCKING GET IT" because it leads you on for a good 3/4s of the movie and keeps you guessing.

Also, Moon (2009). This came out last year at some point, but I can't recall ever seeing ads for it, or it being in the theatre for that long if at all. But, it is in the same flavor as the movie above. You think you understand whats going on, then the movie reveals what actually is happening about a little past half way through. Even though it does this, you're still hooked because of the amazing job being done by Sam Rockwell, and the story in general. Think 2001: A space odyssey but shorter and a tiny less gloomy. Future-Sci-Fi Psychological Thriller, I loved it.

I've already mentioned Moon a couple times. I fucking LOVED that movie. It didn't get much mention anywhere because it's a low budget indie film. But you'd never know it was low budget, with the quality of the sets and such. And yeah, Sam Rockwell does an awesome job.

I'll have to check out Stay, never heard of it before.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2010, 02:34:51 AM »
Yeah, I saw Moon a few weeks back, and was really impressed. A bunch of my friends saw it in theaters when it came out, but I had shit going that night and had to miss it, and am glad I bothered to go back and give it a viewing. Even if you don't care for scifi, it's worth seeing, it's a very good premise.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2010, 08:33:30 AM »
What was moon about again? I saw it on a recommended movies page (I really should have linked it here, goddamn) and it looked fairly interesting in a sort of depressing way.

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »
What was moon about again? I saw it on a recommended movies page (I really should have linked it here, goddamn) and it looked fairly interesting in a sort of depressing way.

SPOILARZ KIND OF

Well in the future we have energy problems (go figure), so we somehow figure out we can mine helium (iirc) on the Moon by harvesting the surface using huge Star-wars resembling machines (the sand things),  and shoot huge very compressed canisters back to Earth for consumption. With technology at the level it is at, apparently this entire Mining station is very automated and basically requires only 1 person to run the whole thing. The sole attendant typically has a 4 year (or some low number) employment "contract" that tells them when they're headed back home from the mining job.

Sam Rockwell's character thinks he's about 3 months away from going home, as the communication from HQ back on earth seems to reflect that. But the fun starts when he crashes one of his rovers while going out to check on a miner. Presumed to be dead/dying condition, something happens and he finds himself waking up in the infirmary bay of the ship, but he sees another 'him' in the adjacent workout room jumping rope, perfectly healthy.

I'll just leave it at that, as the rest of the movie is kind of the point of watching it in the first place. But yea, it is a depressing outlook on certain aspects of our future, and something I can totally see our country doing to someone/thing for monetary profits or to save money where they don't really NEED to spend it (in the governments always ethical eyes.)

Niggers.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:44:26 PM by Sneaky »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »
It's Helium-3 for nuclear fusion. It's much more abundant on the moon than it is on earth (supposedly, I don't think anyone has actually physically proven that yet).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Sneaky

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 02:43:24 PM »
I don't think anyone has actually physically proven that yet).

1. Physically prove that ^
2. Kangaroo
3. ? ? ?
4. Profit!

Better get started on that guise.

Tomiswin

• Cake and Pie and SUCH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2010, 11:55:39 PM »
Jackass 3d is a must see, unless you dont like seeing a dick every 15 seconds, or poo for that matter.... or midgets... YEAH!