Author Topic: Movie Recommendations  (Read 45098 times)

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2010, 05:27:34 AM »
It's Helium-3 for nuclear fusion. It's much more abundant on the moon than it is on earth (supposedly, I don't think anyone has actually physically proven that yet).

It's the same shit they dig up in Planetes, so it could be.

Also I saw the first Evil Dead movie, thought it was fairly mediocre.

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
Helium-3 is a byproduct of the sun's nuclear fusion. Our atmosphere keeps a lot of it off of Earth, but the moon has no such atmosphere.

As for movies, I tried watching "The Last Airbender" tonight (I liked the show, but never saw the movie in theaters). I heard it was bad, but damn, I expected "Alan Smithee" to be credited for it. I don't see how anyone could release this with anything but shame. The waterbending effects sometimes look ok, and the soundtrack is passable, but other than that there's nothing salvageable. The entire movie felt like Shyamalan just took the script from the first season of the show and edited it down until it was an hour and 40 minutes, rather than actually writing a screenplay. The pacing is awful, the acting is awful, the camerawork is awful, the dialogue is inexcusably bad... Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a movie fail on so many levels. "The Sixth Sense" was a great movie, Shyamalan! What the hell happened?!

On a more positive note, check out Fritz Lang's "M". It's in German, and really old (1931), but it's been remastered, and it's on Netflix instant watch. And it's a great movie. So watch it nao.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:29:47 PM by annon »

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »
Jackass 3d is a must see, unless you dont like seeing a dick every 15 seconds, or poo for that matter.... or midgets... YEAH!

Dicks, poo, and midgets are pretty much a staple of Jackass!

I do want to see that.  I don't know why, but I love the Jackass movies.
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
Shamalamadingdong has fallen hard Annon, I think most people would agree with that. Also the Jackass movies have always been funny to someone who has s sense of humor.

Oh yeah, and I've been meaning to mention this, but I really liked Jar head. It wasn't a typical war movie, and I think I enjoyed it more because of that.

I just saw The Wild Hunt. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1493886/

Most depressing movie about LARPing I've ever seen, also shockingly violent.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:11:26 PM by MortifiedocAlot »

Tomiswin

• Cake and Pie and SUCH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 04:22:09 AM »
agreed, jarhead was a fantastic movie, if you like jarhead check out "we were soldiers", great 90's war movie.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03:30 AM »
I might, but I rarely seek out movies to watch on my own. I usually just find a stream or watch something with a friend.

Oh, and I saw the Scott Pilgrim movie. Overall it was an alright movie. Some parts were really fucking terrible (the "I NEED TO GET A LIFE" and grabbing a 1up, the "bifurious" and the whole constant "LOOK HOW NON TRADITIONAL I AM") but I really liked the ending and it seemed to even itself out. Plus, the fight scenes looked goddamn great.

Oh yeah, and they say the word Hipster 10 times in that movie, and hipster is generally an empty word, so it easily got called a hipster movie.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 05:33:59 AM »
Well, there's that, and the fact that Michael Cera's movies almost always end up being labeled as Hipster movies...

(mind you, I don't consider myself a hipster and I've seen Youth in Revolt, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Scott Pilgrim, and Juno... Of course, part of the reason for that is that my girlfriend is slightly obsessed with him, lol. But I've liked every one of those movies.)
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 02:29:01 PM »
I thought Juno wasn't bad at all. It had some annoying parts, but overall they were really minor.

Also I never thought of it that way, but goddamn that makes a lot of sense.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 05:52:24 PM »
My brother seems to basically hate Michael Cera on principle alone, lol. He hates a lot of stuff that is considered hipster, pretty much just because it's considered hipster.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2010, 10:11:03 PM »
This movie is bad as fuck

Basically good in a so bad and 80s it's good. Also lots of nudity and graphic violence.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:22:01 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2010, 01:28:52 AM »
I watched Waxwork a few days ago -- a pretty fun movie if you want to see a horror movie that plays clich

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2010, 04:04:47 AM »
Saw Due Date, and thought it was a damn good film. Really well shot, really funny without being overly stupid (one part is, but it's still funny in low doses) really well shot emotional scenes. It was still a comedy with one wacky guy and one semi normal guy, but they avoid a lot of the cliche bullshit that those movies generally portray.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2010, 10:49:30 AM »
Saw Due Date, and thought it was a damn good film. Really well shot, really funny without being overly stupid (one part is, but it's still funny in low doses) really well shot emotional scenes. It was still a comedy with one wacky guy and one semi normal guy, but they avoid a lot of the cliche bullshit that those movies generally portray.

Yeah, I saw that last night.  I liked it. :o

It's kind of like a wackier yet more dramatic version of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, only it doesn't involve trains (though they do have a shot of one!).
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2011, 05:17:00 AM »

This movie looks grand. I still haven't seen anything posted in this thread, and I really want to now.

Anyone know of a decent quality streaming site for these films? I have like no motivation to watch them.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »

This movie looks grand. I still haven't seen anything posted in this thread, and I really want to now.

Anyone know of a decent quality streaming site for these films? I have like no motivation to watch them.

http://aznv.tv/?p=m300

If you can get it to work properly, their streaming is usually pretty high quality. That does look very interesting, and I think I'm gonna have top watch it myself.

I think you need an account to see anything on that site, but it's free, so signing up isn't much of an issue anyway. But yeah, for streaming, that's probably the best option, but it's not just flash streaming or anything, it's streaming to VLC or whatever you want to use.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x