Author Topic: Movie Recommendations  (Read 45118 times)

Vinshuka

• View Profile
Re: Movie Recommendations
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
Who here has seen The King's Speech and thought it was a good movie? I wanna watch it but unfortunately I'm at uni which doesn't allow torrenting. Would definitely like someones opinion on it though.

I saw it yesterday with my roommates, it was really good, the acting was excellent and the incidental music was good. It has some funny parts and a good deal of interesting history. I would definitly recommend it.

As for your Torrenting issue which I also have at my school, all you need to do is have a friend or two who lives off campus in a all inclusive apartment and download there, I'm sure your friends won't mind and hey they'd probably enjoy the movie too.

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2011, 05:35:43 AM »
I've been reminded of two movies, that look good, that my sister tried to get me to watch that I never got into. Falling Down and Princess Monoko.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698/

I've also not been watching anything, and I've been wanting to start watching Breaking Bad and the Wire. There has to be a means of making time when you have no job but I'm terrible at it.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 03:53:52 PM »
I never watched Princess Monoko, but I did enjoy Falling Down.  It reminds me of Postal 2 (except that Falling Down is actually worth a damn).
"This is a machine for making cows."

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2011, 04:08:50 AM »
That's what I was told.

Also JUST SAW THOR. Basically, unless you enjoy seeing comic book movies, or seeing movies with a lot of nice visual effects. It wasn't terrible, just rather mediocre. If the middle of the film wasn't a mess it would have been fine.

also I saw the first episode of Firefly, and I was told it was the opening movie. I was really interested in it and will probably watch that whenever I get the chance.

Hell, can't we just turn this into a recommended TV shows thread?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:17:37 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
That's what I was told.

Also JUST SAW THOR. Basically, unless you enjoy seeing comic book movies, or seeing movies with a lot of nice visual effects. It wasn't terrible, just rather mediocre. If the middle of the film wasn't a mess it would have been fine.

also I saw the first episode of Firefly, and I was told it was the opening movie. I was really interested in it and will probably watch that whenever I get the chance.

Hell, can't we just turn this into a recommended TV shows thread?

Firefly is awesome. Seriously, that show kicks untold amounts of ass. I avoided watching it for a long time because I'm automatically wary about anything with such rabid fandom, but it really is awesome.

Also, Game of Thrones is amazing. Watch it.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Ulti

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
Yeah I've been keeping up with Game of Thrones, that shit is surprisingly good so far. Seems like shit's going to hit the fan in the most melodramatic way possible, I'm stoked :U

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
I've read the book, and I was stoked the moment I heard HBO was gonna make it into a TV show. Last time someone tried to make a TV show (Sword of Truth series) it turned out horrible. But HBO is awesome, so I figured if anyone could pull it off, it'd be them, and they have not disappointed me (and I had some pretty high standards).

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »
Funny you mention it, but the people that recommended Firefly also recommended that. Suppose I'll start watching both.

Oh, and Archer. I've probably raged about it enough here, but I goddamn love the show. The second season is stupidly good, and they're basically fleshing out every character while making every episode awesome.

I do not see why Inception was supposed to be the most complicated movie around.  It was honestly fairly easy to keep track of, and I only noticed a few "pot holes" when they were pointed out.

Then again, after I remember hearing people being unable to follow the Matrix I lost faith in the average movie goer.

JUST finished watching Oldboy. Oh god what the fuck.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

This has piqued my interests.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:01:53 AM by MortifiedocAlot »

K-Mann

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2011, 11:34:46 PM »
-Inception was grand
-Oldboy rules
-Found the Vengeance Trilogy on blu-ray, fuck yeah.

I think Mort and Spec mean "Princess Mononoke." Great film, but its by Studio Ghibli and they haven't made a bad film. They have some mediocre ones, but nothing bad. And they are of such good quality that I would actually watch them dubbed. Thats right, dubbed. Off the top of my head - Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo I have re-watched with the English dub, and loved all of them.

Anyone interested in animated features should check out Paprika - VERY good movie.

Recently re-watched Gattaca, The Fifth Element, and Pulp Fiction - excellent movies all around.

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
-Inception was grand
-Oldboy rules
-Found the Vengeance Trilogy on blu-ray, fuck yeah.

I think Mort and Spec mean "Princess Mononoke." Great film, but its by Studio Ghibli and they haven't made a bad film. They have some mediocre ones, but nothing bad. And they are of such good quality that I would actually watch them dubbed. Thats right, dubbed. Off the top of my head - Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, and Ponyo I have re-watched with the English dub, and loved all of them.

Anyone interested in animated features should check out Paprika - VERY good movie.

Recently re-watched Gattaca, The Fifth Element, and Pulp Fiction - excellent movies all around.

I agree with everything you've said... Well, other than about The Fifth Element and Gattaca... Never seen either of those (or if I did, I don't remember).

The reason the Ghibli dubs are actually watchable is because they get Disney to pay ridiculous amounts of money for actors who actually know how to voice act.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

annon

• AWSUM MODERATAR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2011, 03:09:15 AM »
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. Holy shit that movie was hilarious. Seriously. Watch nao.

Code: [Select]
f(u,c,k,_,y,e,a,h)
{return u*u*u*u-u*u*u*_+u*u*y-u*e+a?k?f(u+1,c,k-1,_,y,e,a,h):0:putchar(u-c+h)==f(u+1,u,k-1,_,y,e,a,h);}
main(){return f(0,0,34,84,2423,26628,72864,98)<putchar(32)>f(0,0,40,125,5809,118995,906750,96)==~putchar(10);}

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »
Not exactly a movie, but Game of Thrones is a beautiful thing ;-; especially Peter Dinklage's character

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2011, 01:27:57 PM »
YES. I practically shat myself when I heard HBO was going to be producing it, and they have not let me down. I've been watching it religiously since it began.

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

MortifiedocAlot

• I GOT GULD STERRRRZZ
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:40 PM »
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. Holy shit that movie was hilarious. Seriously. Watch nao.

Definitely looks interesting.

Also I really want to get into game of thrones, I'm tempted to get a netflix account fast.

Alice

• B&!!!!1!!11`
  • the pinnacle of human emotion
    • View Profile
    • DigitalMZX
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2011, 02:45:12 AM »
Okay I finally got around to watching Scott Pilgrim, I liked it a lot.  Good job Edgar Wright & co!!!!!!!!!