Author Topic: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.  (Read 788298 times)

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
Re: Stuff that peels your potatoes with paring knives of ANGER.
« Reply #735 on: May 31, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »
Wow, surprising. Most tire problems have some visual warning signs before they happen.

source

not being able to sleep.

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #736 on: May 31, 2008, 05:45:22 AM »
Wow, surprising. Most tire problems have some visual warning signs before they happen.

source

Indeed.

Every single blowout I've seen has occurred with very little warning (mine had minor vibration which drastically worsened on the day it happened; the one that happened to Jinxie's car literally had ZERO warning prior Dan being nigh unable to get the car to turn when we were nearing a bend at 70mph).  I guess you could consider leaks as being the most common kind of tire problem, but even then it's hard to tell that a tire is low on air unless it's significantly low (5-10psi under spec, depending on the size of the wheel; it's harder to tell when a tire is low when there's less rubber visible).

Now some time down the road you may see a bulge in a tire.  If you do, CHANGE THE FUCKER because that's a sure sign that it's going to asplode soon.

But no, most major tire problems happen without any visual warning signs.  My friend/roommate had two tires blow simultaneously on his old car when he was sitting still.  Sometimes it just happens.
"This is a machine for making cows."

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #737 on: June 02, 2008, 12:50:25 AM »
Yeah, I should probably get that checked out. I think I need new brake pads, too, because my car squeals when I go a certain speed (not very fast).

Also, this incessant ringing in my ears. God. Make it go away.

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #738 on: June 02, 2008, 01:02:55 AM »
I think it's beyond "probably". If your brakes are squealing at certain speeds like that, you need to get them checked out, at the very least.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #739 on: June 02, 2008, 01:18:25 AM »
Squealing brakes aren't much of an issue.  Brakes will squeal when they are cold (which happens when you brake at lower speeds) or when it's wet.  It's only natural.

Brake pads need replaced when they grind.  That's when the metal wear tab starts grinding into your rotor.  You should check your brakes every time you rotate the tires (pretty much every time you change your oil) just to be on the safe side, and replace the pads early to avoid damage to the rotors.  If you have disc brakes all around it's a simple check.  I'm not sure what's involved with checking drum brakes (from what I've seen on my dad's truck it doesn't look too hard).

Bobbias

• #1 Poster
  • 404 Avatar not found.
    • View Profile
    • Magnetic Architect
« Reply #740 on: June 02, 2008, 01:46:28 AM »
Well, unless they're wet or cold, but I think he was talking about driving at that speed, not braking. (that's what I got out of it anyway.)

because my car squeals when I go a certain speed (not very fast).

That sounds like he means driving at a slow speed, not braking at a slow speed.
This is going in my sig. :)

BANNED FOR BAD PUNS X_x

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #741 on: June 02, 2008, 01:51:18 AM »
Why would he assume that he needs new brake pads if he isn't braking?  Your brake pads don't touch the rotor if you're not braking.

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #742 on: June 02, 2008, 03:20:03 AM »
Why would he assume that he needs new brake pads if he isn't braking?  Your brake pads don't touch the rotor if you're not braking.

Or at least, that's the expectation and hope! xD

We pressed on. Shortly afterwards, we arrived in a poisonous, post-apocalyptic hell - a sprawling, toxic dumping ground stretching for a mile or two. This is the final resting place for your old TV, computer or mobile phone.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #743 on: June 02, 2008, 03:40:19 AM »
Well, naturally. :P  My dad's late Caravan (may it rest in pieces) had some trouble with that.  If you let off the gas the thing would quickly stop.  The front passenger side brakes actually got so hot from that little issue that they melted the edge of the hubcap.

Of course, that's not exactly the fault of a brake pad, and it definitely wouldn't cause it to squeal (at least not for long, after it scuffs all the moisture off the rotor).

Zakamiro

• Foxy mama.
    • View Profile
    • Someplace
« Reply #744 on: June 02, 2008, 04:41:43 AM »
Hahaha, what year was it? I've been driving a 1995 Dodge Caravan for a while, up until my landlord that had lent it to me asked me to pay $500 for smog, and to get the engine timing and transmission fluid leak all fixed-- or else give him back the key. Well, that would have been fine and all, except for the fact that it wasn't mine, the car was worth only $1,000, and I didn't have $500. As soon as he said that, I said in reply, (I quote) "Here Jorge, here's the key." and I took it off the keyring and gave it to him. I wasn't trying to be dramatic, but, oh well. (Did I already tell this story here? rofl I don't remember.. Anyway, there it was again just in case.)

(Also, I lol'd at "rest in pieces")

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
« Reply #745 on: June 02, 2008, 06:14:23 AM »
'twas a 1993.  He got it for free, put less than $500 of maintenance into it (not including oil).  The thing had a bit of an appetite for oil (read: a leak) but otherwise seemed fine...

...UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION WENT ERRRRRRRRK AND THE THING WOULDN'T MOVE ANYMORE.

Oddly enough, here's a picture that I took on the very day that the van died, immediately before we hopped in and went on its last ride:

Anyone ever read the Goosebumps book, "Say Cheese and Die"?  Apparently, my camera is the reincarnation of that one.

flaffl

• KOREA MEMBER ^_^ FUNNI KEKEKEKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »

'Nuff said.

Hate 'em.

Spectere

• \m/ (-_-) \m/
  • Administrator
  • printf("%s\n", "Hi!");
    • View Profile
    • spectere.net
Re: Lame Replies Thread, With A Vengeance
« Reply #747 on: June 03, 2008, 01:10:11 AM »
disaster area

basically how my room has been since I moved in.

You guys should try working for Nielsen.  They sent me so much shit that it's taking up more space in my room than my stuff is.  It's complete and utter bullshit.  Give me a fucking storage unit, damnit!  This is ridiculous!

Don't mind me, I'm kind of cranky.  My work hours yesterday/today were esssentially 7AM-1AM and then I have to start again at 8AM (yes, only an seven-hour cooldown period),  What the bloody FUCK is the deal with that?!

Also, moved this post from lame replies to ANGER.

K-Mann

« Reply #748 on: June 04, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
Seriously this place is a fucking dump. I honestly have no idea how this man could have lived like this without contracting some sort of illness. ALL of our stuff from the old place is in the living room. I slee pn the floor, Alycia sleeps on the couch. My bedroom that I don't havey et is full of a whole bunch of music crap, smells like a dirty furnace and has mouse poop everywhere. The walls are yellow and should actually be white.

Its not as bad as it was though. The kitchen is finally clean and usable with some actually decent space to move around in. The cupboards need to be cleaned and the fridge to the dump and the floor replaced before its prefect though.

The only actual good thing about this place is that we don't have bills or rent to pay until the guy moves out. Because he's here, he pays for everything. Which is awesome so we can make the place look good once he's gone

TimJing

• View Profile
    • what
« Reply #749 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08:38 PM »

'Nuff said.

Hate 'em.

wait, wut, you hate me, or my avatar? =(

I hate these three MASSIVE, incredibly swollen mosquito bites on top of and around both of my elbows. The one on my left elbow is just one big bite that burns, and then I have two extraordinarily swollen ones on my right elbow. Wish I could take pictures, but it's too awkward of a place >_>

my avatar is peaches

MY BRAIN IS CAFFEINE